mintDesktop 1.2 released!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi.

If you're running Bea you already have mintDesktop 1.0 installed. This software is now available in version 1.1, as a deb file from the repository, and it does way more things than before :)

By the way, if you're still running Barbara or even Edgy, now is the time for you to enjoy mintDesktop :)

What it does:

- When you login, if it hasn't done so before it'll create a set of folders in your home directory and place nice emblems on them. It'll also place links to some tutorials in your Documents folder to make sure you feel comfortable in your mint desktop :)

- It has a frontend accessible from System->Preferences->mintDesktop from where you can set the following options:
. show computer/home/documents/trash/volumes/network icons on the desktop
. choose between browser/spatial mode for nautilus

Why it's cool:

- It's a central piece of software and it's directly related to you, your desktop and the way you find information and organize your data. It will evolve everytime we get new ideas about how to make your desktop an even better place.

How to install it:

To install mintDesktop you need to add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb http://lt.k1011.nutime.de/repository edgy main
Then update your sources:

sudo apt-get update
Then install mintDesktop:

sudo apt-get install mintdesktop
Once installed:

Bea users:
- you need to check the file /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default
you'll see two lines for mintDesktop. Remove one of them.
- have fun with System->Preferences->mintDesktop

Barbara and non-mint users:
- Restart X (no need for bea users)
- Check the inside of your home folder
- have fun with System->Preferences->mintDesktop

And of course:

- This stuff is going to be included in Bianca, so if you did test it... whether you liked it, or not.. please give us your feedback!

Clem

EDIT: version 1.2 was released. Added automatic mounting of your Windows network in your home folder.. enjoy :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

After following your instructions, then opening the file /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default, there was only one entry, so I left it as it was.
I prefer my desktop with no icons, and this made it so easy to remove the existing ones.
Keep up the good work.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Clem and fellow Minties,

I have it installed and up and running. It didn't install under the method recommended so I went into Synaptic, found it (repo worked) and installed it there. All works well. Thank you to those who give their time to this project.

Regards
John
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Nothing to worry about.. you're basically running mintDesktop 1.0. If you want version 1.1, remove the mentioned line, and follow the instructions above on how to install it.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

version 1.2 was released. Check your upgrades for those who already installed version 1.1 :)

- upgrade to mintDesktop 1.2
- open the frontend in System->Preferences->mintDesktop
- check "automatic browsing" and click "OK".
- restart X
- go to your home folder...
- you should see a new Network folder in there... which contains all your Windows neighbourhood :)

Enjoy :)
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

Re: root file manager

Post by Dr.U »

Totally Infected wrote:A general question... I think I remember there being a way to open a directory folder as root (sort of a temp root file manager) so that anything you navigate to and open in it will be opened as root... rather than navigating there to verify it's there and then turning around and going to the terminal.

Any trick for that in Mint? for us slow visual folks...
This isn't exactly what you want, but it is what I have done and maybe you can use it until we get a solution. I opened the "alacarte" menu layout editor and went to the "Administration" area (in the left pane under "System").

Now in the middle pane I highlighted some entry (it doesn't matter which one), then clicked on "+New Item" (in the right pane). In the resulting pop-up window enter "Root File Manager" (or whatever you wish) for the name, then some comment you would like to have, then "gksu nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U" ( or "gksu pcmanfm" is what I use, it's very fast and is a small download), click on the icon button and select some icon, and there you have a "Root File Manager" entry for your GUI browsing pleasure :wink: You can then also open files such as /etc/hosts from within this "Root FM" and modify and save them (since you are now operating as "Root" -- caution advised).

I made similar entries for a "Root Text Editor" (use "gksu gedit", or download mousepad or leafpad and use "gksu mousepad" or "gksu leafpad" -- they starts faster than gedit but have fewer features) and a "Root Terminal" (using "sudo gnome-terminal" or "sudo whatever-terminal-emulator-you-prefer-to-use").

Not perfect, but quick and dirty. :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-- Dr.U
jes

Post by jes »

Hey i install MintDesktop 1.2 on Bea god work
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

yo allow things to be opend as root go to ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts
and make a file called "open as root" then put the following code into it,
#!/bin/sh
for uri in $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS; do
gksudo "gnome-open $uri" &
done
voila! instant root context menu :)
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Clem.
I have 1.2 up and running, all okay thank you.

John
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

clem wrote:version 1.2 was released. Check your upgrades for those who already installed version 1.1 :)

- upgrade to mintDesktop 1.2
- open the frontend in System->Preferences->mintDesktop
- check "automatic browsing" and click "OK".
- restart X
- go to your home folder...
- you should see a new Network folder in there... which contains all your Windows neighbourhood :)

Enjoy :)

Great!
I installed both the Mint Desktop and MintDisc.
Ntfs and fat 32 partitions are on my desktop and I can read and write on them also.
Good work Clem,
npap

Return to “Software & Applications”