New Wallpaper

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Nice, thanks for these wallpapers niallabrown. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Some people liked them, and some didn't (Scorp123 not to mention him :)). At the moment I wouldn't replace the default wallpaper, but I would definitely include them in the wallpaper options from /usr/share/backgrounds.

I think we could really do something with the white version. There seems to be too much white on the left of it though... but depending on the theme and widgets it could actually be really nice. I'm not exactly an expert on this though.. :(
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Thanks Niall,

Me too have adopted your wallpaper. It's very nice and original.
Just replaced the white part by a mint green colour. The result is fine (my wife said this morning "hey! super picture..." It's a sign :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you for this :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

my wife said
Best barometer there ever was :) Before Barbara was released I made sure to ask mine what she thought of the wallpaper, and the one that comes with Barbara/Bea was actually her choice.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:Some people liked them, and some didn't (Scorp123 not to mention him :)).
Sorry to say so, but I simply don't like that color scheme :( I just can't associate that with the term mint. When you think of this term what do you associate it with? I personally think of peppermint, the freshness and cool trickling sensation this stuff gives you on your tongue. And I think of the color, that particular blueish-greenish color tone.

I fail to see that in those wallpapers. Sorry to say so. Those wallpapers would be truly excellent if we did something called Jamaica Linux as the colors chosen for those wallpapers are pretty much similar to the Jamaican flag. But "mint" ? Sorry, I don't see that.

I don't claim to be a gifted artist ... in fact I am a total amateur. But if I would have to create a wallpaper for a Linux distribution that calls itself mint and given above associations with freshness and the cool sensation of mint on one's tongue it would probably be stuff like this ("img" tags removed as the pictures have a resolution of 1600x1200 ... !)

http://i121.removed/albums/o217/scorp12 ... ftglow.jpg

Or this:
http://i121.removed/albums/o217/scorp12 ... umpmap.jpg

And before you ask ... yes, that's the default wallpaper of OpenSuSE 10.2 ... turned upside down so that the triangular shape in the center resembles a triangular mint-plant leaf, colors rotated away from the blue-white color map towards a blueish-greenish one, some light effects and bump mapping and other stuff added for good measure, and some softglow effects ...

Again ... I am an amateur. I did this stuff in just a couple of minutes in GIMP (not difficult at all if you know where to click ...). But this is the (soft) blueish-greenish-coolish color scheme I would think of when thinking of "mint" as a term ...

I am pretty sure those guys here with greater graphical talents than me can come up with something better.

My issue is just that ... this Linux distribution is called "mint" ... so why not create themes and wallpapers that support the associations people probably have with this term anyway?

Please, my criticism is in no way meant as "ad hominem" attack. I am just expressing my own personal thoughts here. :wink:

Regards,
scorp123
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I have to disagree with the Jamaican thing... green/black/yellow. Predominance of black and yellow.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:I have to disagree with the Jamaican thing... green/black/yellow. Predominance of black and yellow.
Whatever ... it just doesn't reflect the term mint ... it would probably help a great deal if the colors were changed away from that green-black scheme towards something more blueish-greenish-silverish ... again, that's just my personal opinion :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sorry if I am boring you people with this ... but I did one with all the things combined:

- background SVG by niallabrown (some colors slightly modified)
- Logo by TipTup300 ? (lens flare added ... why? because! :lol: )
- background by myself (modded from an image that ships with OpenSuSE 10.2)

And now it looks really really nice IMHO 8)

Hi-Res version is here:
http://i121.removed/albums/o217/scorp12 ... mbined.png

Ok ok ok ok ... I'll stop here :lol:
Last edited by scorp123 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Waoo.. this is brilliant! We're getting close here guys.

Clem
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

I really like Scorp123's wallpaper, but am not certain about the lensflare, it seems to obscure the logo too much for me, is there anyway it could be toned down a bit?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Alephcat wrote:I really like Scorp123's wallpaper, but am not certain about the lensflare, it seems to obscure the logo too much for me, is there anyway it could be toned down a bit?
With the original and my modified SVG you can replace the Logo with anything you want, e.g. with the original one here from the forum. In fact you could also replace the background wallpaper with anything you want, e.g. you could super-impose (is that the right word?) the SVG over your favourite background and then export the new combo to .PNG ... Anyone know a good server / service where one can host files for free? I guess I'll put the files there and anyone who wants can then play around ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Oooops, I did it again :lol: My baby-daughter has finally fallen asleep so I all of a sudden had too much time on my hand :D

Hi-Res image is here:
http://i121.removed/albums/o217/scorp12 ... nt_Tux.png

- it's clearly Linux-ish
- it's greenish-blueish + mintish + coolish 8)
- it contains the SVG some people loved and I didn't :wink:
- it contains the Mint logo without lensflare
- but it contains a Tux with a very large lensflare :lol:
- nope, I didn't add the lensflare this time :lol: :lol: :lol:
- and given the different origins of the various picture elements one might even call this a "community created wallpaper" :lol:

So how's this one? 8)

Regards,
Scorp123
Last edited by scorp123 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I like the first one better. The main reason being that the green doesn't blend in as nicely as the light blue did.. this second one would be a great poster because it does catch attention, but as a wallpaper I'd rather use something that can blend in nicely in the background...
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

This is really nice too. I don't know which one I like best between this one and scorp123's first variation.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: New wallpaper variation

Post by scorp123 »

niallabrown wrote:Here is a new try (keep going with that variation I like it) on the old design with better colors and some other changes. I'm feelin the mint... Don't mean to toot my own horn, but this is some sexy paper.
Believe it or not, but I really really like this one :lol: When I saw your new version I was instantly thinking of a Twinings Mint Tea I was trying the other day and how much I enjoyed the minty flavour 8)

So it's safe to say that the associations do "click" here :lol: Now xxx? Where is that mint tea?? After staring at that wallpaper I really need another cup :lol:
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate acronym deleted
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

I like this one too Niall
alan2273
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2273 »

scorp123, I liked the one you did with the penguin.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: New wallpaper variation

Post by scorp123 »

niallabrown wrote:Heck yes... So what do you say, primary wallpaper quality? I'm pushing for the primary so I can keep going if there are still hesitations...
I'd try adding some textures ... e.g. super-impose this new SVG over something else, e.g. as I did in my first example. Or: What happens if you super-impose two of your SVG's over each other? I'd bet we would get some nice 3D-like effekt ... surely worth trying out 8)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's the one at the top of the forums.
buster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buster »

scorp123, that is now a beautiful wallpaper for Mint! Be a good default for the install.

Return to “Your Artwork”