Celena BETA 017 - BUGS and FEEDBACK

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Celena BETA 017 - BUGS and FEEDBACK

Post by clem »

If you're testing BETA 017, please post your bugs and feedback here.

Thanks you,
Clem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Make sure to check the MD5...
verdegal37

Post by verdegal37 »

Hello to all:

It is not possible to put firefox in Spanish
MintAssistant does not work: desire not to update kernel i from synaptic are update in which this update of kernel.
Thanks;
Agust
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr »

BlahBlah_X wrote:Ditch the blue theme. It ruins the dark look of everything else. Instead, try some sort of black and green theme. And use the miint theme for firefox.
for the GRUB, the black wallpaper is awesome, but for the rest of the system (GDM, gnome theme, etc) i found these to be great:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=64998

gdm
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=64882
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Celena Problems

Post by madjr »

EPower wrote:Hello, I am new here, I was using cassandra now installed celena and I got few problems.

Ok, first, why I cant select what is gonna be installed like with opensuse? :)

Now to my problems:
Ok I installed everything and I have selected german language, but then everything is still in english, why I have to go to softwareupdater and to select german packages again? I mean why let ppl select at all if you have to do it again once your OS is installed?
Ok it was the same with cassandra, but still.

Then I thought ok lets try envy to install drivers for my nvidia gf. I click on envy icon and nothig happens. No error message - nothing. Then I thought ok , ill try to reinstall envy via software updater. First, there was no option to reinstall it as it should be. I thought ok, lets delet it and install it. Ok I deleted it completly and then I try to install it, and it says: other packages have to be installed too. I said yes, but then it starts downloadig and stops after a while and says, cant connect to ....... And then it asks, wanna continue?. And at the end it says something like not all packages could be installed. And envy still not working.

THen I tried to instal nvidia _new or something like that, the same way I did it on cassandra? There was no problems. Then I went to system settings and tried to activate advanced graphic card. Then it started downloading something and deleted my installed package nvidia_new, then there were again problems with connecting to some packages. THen i was asked again if i wish to continue, i said: continue, then it said, restart your comp now. I tried to restart and my Xserver does not start. :( I loged in in text mode, try to launch envy but its not starting.

How should I install my gf? with envy or by activating propriety drivers ?
To sum up: envy does not work at all, and some packages cant be loaded.
does mint cassandra work ok for you ? i mean did you get it installed and function correctly before trying celena ?

what video card you have?

if you try running envy in the console, than you might be able to see an error msg and post it here.
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr »

kevinrs wrote:So far so good. everything seems to work ok.

Used Envy to install Nvidia driver. (After updates) I like the new look.
maybe celena could have these updates since some people can't make their video cards work.

oh can you post big pics of celenas desktop
:wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have been testing out Celena beta 17 and found some bugs.

1) The Cassandra Green Theme still does not work. (The Bianca Green Theme could just be renamed)

2) There is a massive amount of residual config files left on the system.

3) "About Me" does not work.

4) Thunderbird is out of date compared with the web browser.

5) Need to loose the default blue theme. The Bianca Green Theme looks much better with the other artwork. (Bianca Green Theme could be renamed.)

6) The OppenOffice and Gimp splash screens do not look right with the new black theme.

7) The GDM Theme needs work. The preview shows the Cassandra GDM. Also the GDM Screen looks too cluttered. The GNU-Linux GDM Theme would be better to build from, it works well with Agust's artwork and is GPL..

edit; After looking at the GDM Theme a few times the more I like it and it does fit with everything else.

Things that are very good.

1) The new boot up screen looks great!

2) The new Gnome splash looks great!

3) Firefox looks better and the additional bookmarks are a nice touch.

4) The new tools , (especially mint assistant) are a nice addition.

4) The removal of Beagle was a good choice, memory use is much better,

5) The new default wallpaper looks fantastic!

Suggestions

Would you consider updating all the packages from Feisty Security, with the exception of the kernel? I understand some people have issues with the newer kernel, everything else works fine.

Remove Compiz, most everyone uses Beryl or Compiz Fusion and Compiz Fusion is still in development. Beryl is resonably stable and the removal of the old version of Compiz would make room for more needed apps.

Install Kooka by default. Kooka is user friendly and would help new user's get their scanner going.

Install Brasero by default. Brasero is user friendly and is so much more functional than the Gnome burning app.

These are just my opinions and I only want LinuxMint to be the best it can be.
Last edited by exploder on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

<<<TO Exploder

Thanks for your big and complex bugs note.
Develop team appreciate your collaboration.
Cheers

<<<TO Betaluva

Dear friend, please try to colaborate with Linxu Mint. Do not destroy our ideas.

Please avoid to became a Troll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Cheers
Linux Mint apps translator
verdegal37

Post by verdegal37 »

@Betaluva , I am happy that vomit al to see my wallpapers.
Is that are facts for people with culture .
I took it me as a polite one jajajajajajaja.
Greetings;
Agust

PD;Betaluva less to criticize and but to help.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Hello

Post by Missed »

Hello everyone. First post. I have been using Cassandra for a few months (still a Linux noob), and enjoy it so much that I decided to try Celena. The install was simple, but I do have one or two comments to make.

My system . . Asus M2NPV-VM/AMD X2 6000, 320g Sata with xp and Cassandra, 80g IDE (slave) with Celena.

Envy only worked from the console. The gui window wouldn't open. However, it did open after I started envy -t, but I used the console for the driver install, not the gui, so I don't know if it would have worked.

Celena can see xp, but not Cassandra, (on the same drive). Cassandra can see Celena, though.

Grub was installed to the IDE drive, but when I try to run Cassandra I get errors, but I did eventually get Cassandra to run. I'll write the errors down next time I reboot, and post some details.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I second removing Compiz, and upgrade Beryl to the last svn build. I have been running it for a while now and it is very stable with some nice new features.

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm not happy with the new dark wallpapers - but that's a matter of taste.
The live cd in safe graphics mode looks however horrible - some dark brown color

I got a fsck error after install - an error I get also after restoring a disk image
"superblock in the future" - twice followed by that the partition I installed to had not been checked in 49470 (I think) days - check forced. This is resolved after rebooting. The number of days is always the same when I restore a disk image, and the same here (could be 49460).

There is a typo in the section in mintAssistant about ntfs. It reads
"If you all your NTFS disks are on internal...." a you too many :)

It takes a very long time to start envy from the menu - that is probably why there are reports that it does not start. After install I did not get the correct resolution for my monitor - I will have to edit xorg.conf. Did that manually - it seems you will have to add the new resolution you want for all color depths in the xserver-xorg tool in the menu (no Celena bug).

When I accessed the settings for the login window from the control center I got an error, but could continue. "Error accessing file:///usr/share/sounds/pidgin file not found"

This is too late for Celena but there is still the irritating manner that you have to give your password to access a GUI application, not when you make the change...
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

BlahBlah_X wrote:Ditch the blue theme. It ruins the dark look of everything else. Instead, try some sort of black and green theme. And use the miint theme for firefox.
I agree absolutely with that. I would love to see black more (not blue). Everything went well through out installation. Trying to update the system I found annoying the fact that I had to download almost 170 mb of data to install. I would prefer to have the updates already installed in the system. One other thing; trying ti install support for greek language (first thing I did after finishing the installation) I noticed that firefox was removed from the system and I had to reinstall it using synaptic. The default home page is great but I would like to have Cassandra's default home page (for firefox I mean). One other really annoying bug has to do with the support for greek language when viewing movies concerning the subtitles. I can't read greek even though I have installed greek language support and I use greek code page for the subtitles (it concerns primarily totem player) - (I have the same problem with kaffeine for instance but after selecting greek code page the problem is resolved). This bug was the same in Bianca and in Cassandra. One last bug that still hunts me is concerning VLC player. I had the same problem in Cassandra (GNOME edition). I can't see any picture, I hear the sound (no matter what filter I use). I don't have it when using Ubuntu 7.04 or 7.10 (Tribe 4 or 5), or when using BiancaKDE or Cassandra KDE.
No matter what though I think that Celena is one of the greatest distros out there that gives what exactly she promises. Keep up the good work.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ mikpap
trying to update - what did you do?
Note that from Celena the update mechanism is no longer the same for Mint and Ubuntu - we've forked
Unfortunately you can do it from the terminal I believe
Husse

Post by Husse »

The "mikpap experience" may well be a "semi bug"
We should block updating from the terminal and synaptic or get some real confusion...
Is this really well thought through?
verdegal37

Post by verdegal37 »

[quote="Husse"]I'm not happy with the new dark wallpapers - but that's a matter of taste.

Hello Husse , that is a bug?
Thank you so much for your support.
Without comments.
Agust
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

Husse wrote:@ mikpap
trying to update - what did you do?
Note that from Celena the update mechanism is no longer the same for Mint and Ubuntu - we've forked
Unfortunately you can do it from the terminal I believe
After installing Celena I tried to install greek language support (Control center, language support). I have chosen greek (modern) language for installation, I push the install button and I saw that along with the installation of language support the default firefox program was removed. Then I installed it using synaptic. After that using synaptic too I installed all the available updates.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

RobbieGrey wrote:First try at installing failed at 95% total lockup
Downloaded it again.
second try lock up at 37%
Downloaded it again
third try successful !
Installed Picasa using mintinstall , it installed but I cant find it ,its not in applications graphics.
At lease you got it to download. The last time I tried, it said it would take 198 hours, and that's on a T3 line.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

betaluva wrote:@maty1206 i wasnt trying to be a troll, i was descibing my reaction to the wallpaper AND i am very willing to help linux mint, if you looked around you would have noticed that i posted a video of cassandra on youtube, i did this to HELP linux mint.
Hi Betaluva.

I want to apologize to you: I'm sorry.

Verdegal37 is a very dear Mint artist. We appreciate hes artwork.

So, when you used those words for verdegal's art, I feel very sad.

Excuse me for called you "Troll".

I hope now we could be great friends.

If you check your post about mint on internet, you could see my congrats to your work.

Cheers
Linux Mint apps translator
verdegal37

Post by verdegal37 »

Hello Maty , thanks by your support :wink:
The comments of betaluva they are offensives,out of place i in the wrong place.
But I continued doing wallpapers for the people that to which appreciation.
Greetings;
Agust

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”