Easy Virtual Machine

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
maynoth
Level 1
Level 1

Easy Virtual Machine

Post by maynoth »

I think it would be awesome if mint had VirtualBox installed by default.

Just a thought.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Easy Virtual Machine

Post by JAK »

maynoth wrote:I think it would be awesome if mint had VirtualBox installed by default.

Just a thought.
Download it here and follow the installation instructions. You have to agree to the free license, etc... Then you have to open the "Users and Groups" under Control Panel. Manage Groups button > scroll down to vboxusers > properties, then check the box for you and root. Close that, the drop to a terminal window and type VirtualBox exactly as I wrote it (case sensitive). Piece of cake!

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5. ... y_i386.deb
Last edited by JAK on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

it is on the software portal.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

KernelJ wrote:On Bianca:

"Error: dependency is not satisfiable: libasound2"

What does it mean "not satisfiable"... Everything should be "satisfiable"!

Kind of off-putting, and perhaps a reason why the software should be installed by default.

Of course, I could always just upgrade :roll:

Aside from that, virtualisation is becoming commonplace with OS usage, so it would be a good idea from that point of view also.
Sorry to see you had a problem installing VirtualBox. Try upgrading to Cassandra and quite possibly that error will go away. I have a successful WinXP Pro installation in VirtualBox with sound, networking, printing .... everything. I can even watch a video while rotating the Beryl Cube and it works just fine. I hope I didn't make you feel bad about it. I just want you to know it's easy to setup and works well on Cassandra. BTW- I consider myself still somewhat of a noob to Linux. That's how easy it really is to setup VBox.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

KernelJ wrote:On Bianca:

"Error: dependency is not satisfiable: libasound2"

What does it mean "not satisfiable"... Everything should be "satisfiable"!

Kind of off-putting, and perhaps a reason why the software should be installed by default.

Of course, I could always just upgrade :roll:

Aside from that, virtualisation is becoming commonplace with OS usage, so it would be a good idea from that point of view also.
I just realized what the problem might be with your VirtualBox install. The link I gave above is for the "Fiesty Fawn" Ubuntu/LinuxMint install. You said you are using Bianca, so you probably should be using this VirtualBox version: http://virtualbox.org/download/1.5.0/vi ... y_i386.deb

Better yet, upgrade to Cassandra and us my original link :D

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

trying to install VirtualBox

Post by jhouse59 »

I downloaded VirtualBox from this link.
http://virtualbox.org/download/1.5.0/vi ... y_i386.deb
I keep getting an error. I opened up a Terminal in the folder I saved the download. Then typed "sudo dpkg -i *.deb". Is this the right way to install programs in Linux?
I'm using Mint 3.0.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Cassandra version

Post by jhouse59 »

It's the Cassandra version. That I've got installed.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: trying to install VirtualBox

Post by JAK »

jhouse59 wrote:I downloaded VirtualBox from this link.
http://virtualbox.org/download/1.5.0/vi ... y_i386.deb
I keep getting an error. I opened up a Terminal in the folder I saved the download. Then typed "sudo dpkg -i *.deb". Is this the right way to install programs in Linux?
I'm using Mint 3.0.
You didn't mention what the error is. You should just be able to double-lick on your download and have the package installer open up for you. This will install it automatically. There are a number of prompts that need your attention during the install. Just click [OK] for everything. As I mentioned above, you also need to change the permissions of the vobxusr file. If you get that far, I'll help you out, but you didn't mention what the problem is.

As an alternative, try installing it from the MintInstall repo here: http://www.linuxmint.com/mintInstall/ca ... albox.mint
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Thanks, I've got it installed now. When I ran it in the terminal it said something about uninstalling a couple of files. Because, the VirtualBox had new ones. I let them uninstall. Then I had to run an the program that installs programs and updates. To fix a broken file. But, I've it installed. Now I just have to learn how to use it.
Thanks for answer my post.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

JAK wrote:
maynoth wrote:I think it would be awesome if mint had VirtualBox installed by default.

Just a thought.
Download it here and follow the installation instructions. You have to agree to the free license, etc... Then you have to open the "Users and Groups" under Control Panel. Manage Groups button > scroll down to vboxusers > properties, then check the box for you and root. Close that, the drop to a terminal window and type VirtualBox exactly as I wrote it (case sensitive). Piece of cake!
To make life a little easier, you can drag a link of the VirtualBox icon onto your desktop... found in the /usr/lib/virtualbox directory.

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5. ... y_i386.deb
I'm trying to insall VirtualBox using these instructions, but I get the following error message:

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

What does this mean, and how do I fix it? Thanks.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks JAK

Post by jhouse59 »

Thanks JAK that was what I was looking for. I went to VirtualBox's forum at their web site to try and fix this problem. Just happened to check back here. Thanks again.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

JAK wrote:Try this: Drop to a terminal window and change to the /dev directory. Execute the command " sudo chmod 660 vboxdrv "....
OK. I think I got it. I had to "read between the lines" to get it to work, but I have one more REALLY BIG PROBLEM that I hope you gurus can help me with. I'm current doing the dual-boot thing with XP (no boos needed, some times it is a necessary evi:), I now only have 1/2 of a 40 gig drive to use with Mint and the Virtual program. Please tell me I don't have to wipe XP to get this to work (it took me 3 weeks to get all of XP back the last time--see previous post somewhere in this forum:(

BTW, my machine wouldn't let me do the Portal download. I have to use a .deb file.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

Where are the images of VirtualBox saved at? I just want to save them somewhere else in case I make a Backup DVD.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

antiquexray wrote:
JAK wrote:Try this: Drop to a terminal window and change to the /dev directory. Execute the command " sudo chmod 660 vboxdrv "....
OK. I think I got it. I had to "read between the lines" to get it to work, but I have one more REALLY BIG PROBLEM that I hope you gurus can help me with. I'm current doing the dual-boot thing with XP (no boos needed, some times it is a necessary evi:), I now only have 1/2 of a 40 gig drive to use with Mint and the Virtual program. Please tell me I don't have to wipe XP to get this to work (it took me 3 weeks to get all of XP back the last time--see previous post somewhere in this forum:(

BTW, my machine wouldn't let me do the Portal download. I have to use a .deb file.
LOL. I am nowhere near being a Linux guru. In fact I consider myself a newbie+ . Your remaining 40 gigs isn't much by today's standards, but you don't need much to use Virtualbox. It all depends on what you want to use it for. I can't imagine you'd install a couple dozen programs to run on a virtual machine. You can setup an 8-10 gig virtual drive and that would be sufficient for most testing purposes. It all depends on what you plan on doing with it.

Don't forget once you've got everything set the way you like it, use the "snapshot" function to save the virtual drive "as-is" That way, if anything goes wrong you can restore that snapshot and be back to square one-- a fresh virtual install.

You won't get any boos from me about XP, I think it's the best and most stable Windows to date and I use it as well. There are some really great programs that are Windows only and so we use it. I have two computers linked with a monitor/keyboard/mouse switcher. It works great!
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

jhouse59 wrote:Where are the images of VirtualBox saved at? I just want to save them somewhere else in case I make a Backup DVD.
Unless you've specified otherwise, you'll find it in the " /home/username/.VirtualBox/VDI " directory. You won't see it in Nautilus unless you check the "Show Hidden Files" under the "View" menu option. For backup purposes, you'll want to save the entire .VirtualBox directory.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

JAK wrote:
jhouse59 wrote:Where are the images of VirtualBox saved at? I just want to save them somewhere else in case I make a Backup DVD.
Unless you've specified otherwise, you'll find it in the " /home/username/.VirtualBox/VDI " directory. You won't see it in Nautilus unless you check the "Show Hidden Files" under the "View" menu option. For backup purposes, you'll want to save the entire .VirtualBox directory.
Thanks JAK'
I want to make a backup of my Mint.But, I don't want to save virtual drives to the dvd. I've made some backups and distro livecds. But when I go to install them they ask for a password.Trying to figure that out.Got other post. hoping some one can help me.
Thanks again.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

jhouse59 wrote:
JAK wrote:
jhouse59 wrote: Thanks JAK'
I want to make a backup of my Mint.But, I don't want to save virtual drives to the dvd. I've made some backups and distro livecds. But when I go to install them they ask for a password.Trying to figure that out.Got other post. hoping some one can help me.
Thanks again.
What program are you using to create your backups and livecds? I've tried using "remastersys" but there is currently a problem the author is working on. For some reason it can't find my original LM CD in the the drive. I'm waiting for an update on that.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”