Now it works, Now it doesnt?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Now it works, Now it doesnt?

Post by plowran »

Hi every one
Last night I installed a few programs thru the software portal and then attempted to start up Beryl.
The screen just went blank White. I let it sit there hoping it would do something over night, but no luck.
This morning when I restarted the machine I cannot get Mint on the internet.
I try messing with the settings but nothing,
Now im on my Vista Disk and the net Works 123.
By The Way, This is a wired connection, Im not gonna try and tackle my wireless yet, it cant even find that yet.
Any help is good help
Thnx
Phil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

is there a way to completely kill neworking and possibly reinstall it so it may possibly start fresh...aparently a new install cant fix that
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I don't use KDE much, but this should work for KDE as well I think. Open terminal and enter the following code to restart the network connection.

code: sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

That's what I was doing when network manager didn't want to start reliably. the hairy_Palms recommended:

"i recommend running this command in a terminal,
sudo apt-get remove --purge network-manager
then restart, thers no need for network manager when your wired. then your internet should work fine."

You can always use synaptic to reinstall network-manager when you are ready for wireless fun.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Then look in the troubleshooter for the live CD on how to fix some networking problems
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... or_envy.3F
You mention two problems all mixed up - do I understand you right that the screen is no longer "blank White"?
That is a Beryl problem - for a solution search for beryl white in the forum, and mark "Search for all terms" and you'll find a bunch of solutions
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

yea the blaning out is a Beryl problem i need to get the correct NV driver installed, I just kinda put that in there to complete the story on what happened. I left it on all night at that screen and the next morning with a restart i couldnt get online.
thanks for the responce guys ill try that out tonight
Husse

Post by Husse »

As a reinstall takes not even half an hour you could test before you do to much with the install.
If that breaks it, reinstall and in synaptic lock the HAL to that version
Husse

Post by Husse »

Beryl has nothing to do with networking, but as you suspect that it did do nasty things to your wireless - yes, don't use it
Try to see if you find anything in your system that could have an impact on it (not easy at all I know)
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

Ok People
From my previous Thread
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4799

I was having an issue that I couldnt figure out, my Net wouldnt connect to anything so I could get online.
I was given 2 seperate SUDO commands

Quote:
sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

And...
Quote:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

But They Didnt Change the situation. I just plugged in my Vista drive for about 3 days and then went back to Linux to find out that some how my connection was now available again.
Now Im having the same problem again,. I cannot get online and I tried the commands again, but i dont wanna wait for another few days, I would enjoy making this my standalone OS, Its got all I need and is isnt a blown out SELL-OUT like SuSE.
Any Help is good help
Thnx
Philip
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

this sounds like a crazy hardware or networking problem.
ie there may be some other network service that is causing problems.

i suggest a reboot. there are things that are only run at boot (look in /etc/rcS.d/, the S is for startup not single).

and add "Ubuntu " to the beginning of the first line of /etc/issue.
(this is a bug fix for pre-KDE 3.0r1)

you may also want to restart dbus, restart networking and then restart dbus again. (instead of reboot).

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

hi again everyone, i rebooted multipole times kernel .16, .16 recovery, .15, and .15 recovery and then i went so far as to do a reload for S & G's but still nothing, as soon as I plug the Vista Drive back it i have online access again.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

this sounds like a bios/firmware issue.
when you plug in the vista drive the bios should reinitialise, give you a message and may say press F1 to continue.

what you could try is unplug the mint disk, boot, it will find no boot device, then power off put mint disk back in and boot. this may reinitialise the bios.

is there an update to the bios for your system?

it could also be an acpi issue. so disabling it at boot could fix it. not my favorite fix though.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Networking”