install freezes at 15%

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

I have been thinking the same thing. It has to have something to do with the file system. I have tried reiserfs and ext3, but the installer does not get to the point of erasing the partition and creating a new one. It stalls first. I had to use the partition editor to delete and creat new partitions.

I will look into the google idea.

Thanks
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

I think I may have found a way to install mint. I looked at the properties for the install icon, and ran that command in a terminal, with sudo before it (sudo ubiquity --desktop %k gtkui). I did that hoping to be able to see what was going on during the install. But when I did that the installation went past 15%, and started setting up my partitions. Unfortunately it was unable to create my new partitions, and gave me an error that took me back to where I choose my partition set up.

So I am going to go into the partitioner, and set up my partitions, then run the installer in a terminal, and see if it works.

Edit:
It looks like it is working....22%...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

davidwillis wrote:I think I may have found a way to install mint. I looked at the properties for the install icon, and ran that command in a terminal, with sudo before it (sudo ubiquity --desktop %k gtkui). I did that hoping to be able to see what was going on during the install. But when I did that the installation went past 15%, and started setting up my partitions. Unfortunately it was unable to create my new partitions, and gave me an error that took me back to where I choose my partition set up.

So I am going to go into the partitioner, and set up my partitions, then run the installer in a terminal, and see if it works.

Edit:
It looks like it is working....22%...
That should only happen if you have the hard drive mounted.
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

I don't know if it was mounted or not (but I don't think it was, because when I right clicked on the partitions that showed on my desktop, it had the option to mount, but not unmount). But I now have mint installed, and it is working.
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

open a terminal and type "sudo ubiquity --desktop %k gtkui"

See if that works for you too.
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

tinny wrote:
Bug #107259, first reported on 2007-04-17 by Colin Watson:
Xubuntu partitioning can fail because ubiquity does not prevent thunar from automounting new partitions.
And so, davidwillis, your problem was what? a bug in ubiquity?
I am really not sure. All I know is if I click on the desktop icon to do the installation, it fails. But if I run it from a terminal, it works. The partitioning happens right after it gets past 15%. It is strange though, because the progress goes from 15% back down to 5% and sets up the partitions.

I think I may have also ran into that bug, or another one with the partitioning, but I got around that by setting up my partitions with GNOME partion editor before running the install program. I think my freezing at 15% was something else. But I don't know what it is. It will take someone smarter than me to figure it out.
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

tinny wrote:

Code: Select all

open a terminal and type "sudo ubiquity --desktop %k gtkui"
When you get a chance, would you be good enough to explain this command in detail. Also, I would like to know where you got it.
I just right clicked on the install icon on my desktop, went to properties->Launcher. There I copied the command line and pasted it into my terminal. I added the sudo just to make sure it had permissions to install.

I don't know what it all means, or even if I did it right. I just tried something as a last resort, and it worked.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

The manual partitioning issue in the installer is also covered on the following post:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4563
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

would this apply to the xfce version as well?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

The XFCE edition didn't have the problem with manual partitioning. Are you having an issue with XFCE?
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

newW2 wrote:The XFCE edition didn't have the problem with manual partitioning. Are you having an issue with XFCE?
yes, I am using the XFCE edition, and it freezes at 15% unless I start it from a terminal, and even then it freezes sometimes. But I was finally able to get it installed on both my laptop, and main computer.
sfurbish
Level 1
Level 1

Install freezes at 15% - XFCE

Post by sfurbish »

I wiped a perfectly good Ubuntu 7.04 install off my Toughbook CF-27 last week because I wanted to try an install of Mint XFCE. The live cd ran fine so I didn't anticipate issues installing. I soon found myself having the same issue as davidwillis. I spent the usual few hours going over things like bad iso burns (checking md5sum hashes and verifying burns), redownloading the iso, burning at different speeds, etc., I even tried the davidwillis workaround suggestion (copying the install comand from the desktop icon and runningit in a terminal with sudo) even though it didn't make sense to me. I tried pre-partitioning and then letting install use the entire disk since there's no windows OS on the laptop anyways, but nothing got me past that install freezing at 15% issue. Then I read the posts by Merlwiz79 (was hda mounted?) and tinny (the ubiquity bug quote) and realized that seemed quite like what was going on with my laptop. Since there doesn't seem to be a means to simply use existing partitions and avoid the partitioner call from ubiquity altogether - I simply ran synaptic from the live cd and uninstalled thunar then ran the harddisk install and it went through without any further issues.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Wow! Only 256MB of RAM. That's really lean for Mint . This sounds like a similar problem PS3 users face when installing Ubuntu (the PS3 only has 256MB). The install freezes at 15% due to lack of memory. The solution is to kill off all unnecessary services and processes before starting the install.
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

Hamish wrote:It also may be because you have memory errors, test your RAM.
How do you do that?

I did notice when I ran the install in a terminal I got a lot of errors, especially ones that said it was unable to unmount. I didn't worry about them, because the install worked.

I think sfurbish is onto what the problem really is. It freezes just before it sets up all the partitions, while it is reading the file system. I noticed during the install, little hard drive icons kept showing up, and disappearing on my desktop. I am not sure what that means. But maybe it mounts a partition, then when it gets to the point where it needs to erase, format, or change it, it can't because it is mounted.

Also, I downloaded the KDE version, and was able to install it just fine (using the workaround of installing the gdk frontend).
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

If you already have Linux installed there should be memory test available from the grub boot menu. Or you can download MicroSoft Memory test or Memstest86/86+ and make a bootable CD.

EDIT: here are links to the memory tests.

Microsoft memory test
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Memtest86+
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
davidwillis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davidwillis »

Thanks. The memory seems to be ok (although I don't have much of it).

Return to “Installation & Boot”