external USB hdd with ntfs

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orchaldir
Level 1
Level 1

external USB hdd with ntfs

Post by Orchaldir »

Hello!

I installed mint two weeks ago and need help. I have a extenal usb hdd with one ntfs parition for backup.

The problem: It is mounted as read-only and it seems some files are damaged. I can't open images or videos stop after 2 mins.

I checked it under vista and there I can open/watch them normally.

EDIT: It seems all the files are working again, but I still only have write access.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Occasionally this seems to happen. mintDisk should mount the disk automagically as r/w.
However if mintDisk finds a ntfs partition in any way in fstab it will not mount, and for the latest version its enough to have the word ntfs (or fat) in there.
To begin with check your /etc/fstab and see if you find the partition there. It may be hard to know which it is, but look for ntfs.
If you find the partition there backup your fstab (needs to be done as root) and remove the offending line (sudo gedit /etc/fstab)
Orchaldir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orchaldir »

On my laptop I have vista and mind installed and because of this a ntfs partition in fstab. It was read-only too.

Now I removed the line from fstab and after rebooting I have rw access to this partition!

Problem: I still have read-only access to my usb hdd. And on my desktop I have the same problem without a second ntfs partition.
Orchaldir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orchaldir »

Problem solved: After rebooting with the running usb hdd I have now rw access!

Return to “Storage”