Nvidia 8800GTS - KDE EDITION

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have you managed to install?
You're not quite clear on this, but I'm pretty sure not.
I have a 6600 and I end up in "nothingness" unless I add break=bottom after pressing F6 and then I get into a busy box that I can't get out of.
This is a combination of what seems to be a bug in the installer and that many nvidia cards don't like the "nv" driver the live CD/DVD wants to use.
It's first yesterday I've got a DVD burner installed and tried to install KDE and I edited the troubleshooter for the live CD accordingly, and have sent a PM to Clem about it.
Seems that a lot (the majority?) of nvidia cards can't be used.
If we could pass the hurdle and boot the live DVD there are no big problems - install the driver "nvidia" and all is well.
I am working on it and will post any progress
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

FYI
all worked fine with my 6600GT.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

@Boo
Are you kidding? :)
I have a 6600GT (256 MB) and get a video error (colored vertical lines and then completely black). If I add break=bottom after pressing F6 at the boot splash I end up in a busybox
like this:
BusyBox v1.1.3
/bin/sh: can't access tty; jobcontrol turned off
I can't do anything in there even if I can bring up some help indicating that some commands exists there.
The idea of break=bottom is to get to a tty after scripts-init-bottom and edit xorg.conf.
Safe graphics mode is vesa but something in the installer/live CD code changed from Dapper to Edgy (I think it was) so vesa is thrown out and nv used instead (unless you manually change) This affects 6600 and 8800 and possibly more nvidia cards and also some ATI cards.
That you managed to make it with a 6600 is odd since all the posts I found in Ubuntu forums indicated that all versions of 6600 were hit. This could be a combination of motherboard and video card, so what mobo do you have Boo? (I've got ASUS K9N-4E nforce4)
If we can't fix this for the KDE version we lock out a large group of potential users. (Gnome is still possible as break=bottom works)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@ Husse :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my card is a BFG 6600GT AGP.
Mobo is a from my shuttle type system (Qbic) running a nforce2 chipset.
maybe it is my old nfrorce2 and AGP making me so UBER!
:lol:

:dance:
Last edited by Boo on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

well I've got pci express - maybe the AGP version isn't hit by this sh-t...
Any idea on how to solve the busybox prob?
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Hi,
I have a PNY Nvidia Geforce 7900GS ( pci Express)
And works Great!!! :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

seems that the 7xxx works :)
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Even if I use safe mode, I drop to a tty instead of the graphical env.
Just a shot in the dark...

As the LiveDVD boots, press F6 before the 30-second countdown ends. Then add this to the line of boot parameters: vga=791

Press Enter to continue the boot.

Anything different happen?

------
Husse

Post by Husse »

Then add this to the line of boot parameters: vga=791
I've tried that, and it makes a small difference but does not solve the problem, but that may vary with your setup
PS I managed to install Bianca KDE on my reserve computer - old as nvidia mx440 :)
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I've tried that, and it makes a small difference
It follows that if one particular value makes a small difference, then another value might make a big difference.

Someone with a similar video problem, and a little patience, can try other candidates from this table (e.g. vga=795 or vga=788)...

------
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

works just fine on my nvidia 7800 GT
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes - all 7xxx seems to be working
I think it's time to lock this thread

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”