Possible to boot ISO from HDD?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint KernelJ
One way of accomplishing this is to use a virtual machine of some kind, but that don't let you install in "the real world"
I'll fire up my reserve box and see what results I get.
I'm too tired after working long hours well into this morning so it'll have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest
It seems that things don't happen in the right order (or maybe I'm just tired) but you are on to something so it would be nice if you could investigate further
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Possible to boot ISO from HDD?

Post by scorp123 »

KernelJ wrote: If a HDD ISO booting method could be made simple ...
Due to technical reasons I think this won't be easy :wink:
KernelJ wrote: it could also encourage novices to use the system.
What's wrong with the live CD? :D Come on, CD- or DVD-burners really aren't that expensive anymore. Take Bosnia for example: Given the civil war they had down there and given the vast destruction in some areas one might regard Bosnia as being a "third world country" ... but even there: Those people who have PC's also have a CD- or DVD-burner ... even if it's not the newest model, so what: it works and it's enough to burn a Linux ISO. :D
KernelJ wrote: I think BeOS worked along these lines - no separate partitions, no CD burning.
Yes, they did something stupid like that with one of the last releases, BeOS R5 PE if I am not mistaken. They used a boot loader camouflaged as Windows *.EXE file that would load BeOS after a double-click ... but the thing wouldn't always work as promised (e.g. it got sometimes easily confused if there were multiple partitions). Having a clean Live CD means that Windows has nothing to do with the boot process :D A live CD clearly is superior. :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

A live CD clearly is superior.
Agreed
But at the moment I can only burn CDs not DVDs so it would be fun to test the opportunity mentioned by KernelJ with the KDE ISO :)

I will shortly be able to burn DVDs, at least that's the intention
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

there's also the method to boot from a usb stick... :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

there's also the method to boot from a usb stick...
What's that just to the right of the monitor?? An USB stick?
Oh yeah :oops:
//edit//
The first attempt failed
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Possible to boot ISO from HDD?

Post by nick »

I cannot tell you what is wrong with your scripts but:

HOWTO: Install Ubuntu Linux without burning a cd

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=28948
May be of use?

Nick
Husse

Post by Husse »

It worked for me anyway!
Did you manage to run the live CD off a HDD?
Not quite clear to me :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Try to use a USB stick (they are extremely cheap now if you don't have one) It should work, but my first attempt failed, there are a few steps to take and I might have missed something ;)
Ignanik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ignanik »

kernelj I think this might help
http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?opti ... ic=12114.0
And read this while your at it
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/PoorManInstall
I Tryed it on FAT partition once and it worked not only with PcLOS but also with Ubuntu , Kubuntu , puppy , Havent tryed it on mint but you could :)

After all it is a grub PMI How To. MIght be useful to you
Dlerdom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dlerdom »

I've been trying to do this for days. I have my reasons for not burning a DVD, it doesn't matter. I've added vmlinuz and initrd to a grub entry and put the file in an empty ext3 partition. As soon as I boot into it there's lots of streaming text on the screen about various hardware being detected and then nothing happens.

Return to “Installation & Boot”