Network Manager applet stuck on "no connection" but OK

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Network Manager applet stuck on "no connection" but OK

Post by arjay »

Like all the distros I have tried (a good dozen or so in my time) mint insists on setting up a dynamic address for me, but my network and ISP demand a static address. I now know how to set that up, but on the way I had to disable and re-enable the network.

All now works fine, but the Network Manager Applet (version 0.6) is stuck showing "no connection". I have removed the applet and then put a new copy on the kicker, rebooted the PC and a few other things but it persists in showing me as unconnected. Any ideas on how to reset it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is obviously something people thinks about.
If you mean the icon looking like two monitors in the bar you wont see any action.
This is not a bug, but close to.
"since you are managing the wired network from the administration area, most likely using a fixed IP"
it wont work. See this thread
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1764
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Husse wrote:This is obviously something people thinks about.
If you mean the icon looking like two monitors in the bar you wont see any action.
This is not a bug, but close to.
"since you are managing the wired network from the administration area, most likely using a fixed IP"
it wont work. See this thread
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1764
Hmmm - thanks for the link, but then what is the point of the applet?? on another machine I am using simplymepis and the applet (Knemo) works fine even though i have a fixed ip address etc. Perhaps I should look for a network manager applet that works? :wink:

Richard
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

the point is to easily switch between different wifi networks and a wired network with DHCP.

If you are using only a wired network (without DHCP) you really don't need it.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

niksavel - thanks for the helpful reply. At least I now know what it's for. :oops: I really like Mint except for gnome. When the KDE version comes out I will probably put Mint on the other PCs in my network. Then I may need the applet as I have wireless on one half on the network.

RJ

Return to “Networking”