Post bugs in Daryna XFCE Community Edition BETA 008 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Post by Husse »

So far:
The panel is to dark green - it's hard to see some of the icons
Wicd manager opened up quite a few times in the beginning - not any more
The import account did not work - I got some but not all of the bookmarks that's all. In the Daryna beta everything was imported for Firefox and Thunderbird. The difference is that I used my home partition in Daryna but not here, but that should not cause this....
Display preferences - I use default now, but I can't find out what it means - I know it's 1280 x1024 by the look of it. Probably a Gutsy thing but it would be nice to see the values not Default
To get decent vertical refresh I have to use a trick, as well as to get a fully functional internet connection, but that is more my equipment
Looking at system monitor confuses me a bit.
Memory at the beginning 196 MB up to 212 MB in minutes Firefox is using 64 MB (one tab) which is more than I have normally with add ons no such here.
There is also more CPU usage than I'd expect. Nothing more than Firefox and system monitor running and I have a minimum of 8% with spikes up to around 30%. CPU is an Athlon 3700+ s754 so it's reasonably powerful. Much lower in Daryna and Celena. Will add the figures later.
//Adding/
In Daryna gnome Firefox with 13 open tabs uses 48 MB.
Total memory use 229 MB with Tomboy and Python (mintMenu) using 25 MB not increasing, so there seems to be a memory leak somewhere.
CPU from 2% with spikes at 30% but mostly "flat" around 13% //
This is written in XFCE
Haven't noticed the Compiz look, even if I tried to activate it, but this is to be low resources so...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Husse wrote:So far:
The panel is to dark green - it's hard to see some of the icons
Try the newer theme
http://www.4shared.com/file/28252122/d2 ... estar.html
Husse wrote:Wicd manager opened up quite a few times in the beginning - not any more
That has never happened to me.
Anyone else have this problem?
Husse wrote:The import account did not work - I got some but not all of the bookmarks that's all. In the Daryna beta everything was imported for Firefox and Thunderbird. The difference is that I used my home partition in Daryna but not here, but that should not cause this....
I have never used import and didn't change anything in ubiquity regarding this.
Husse wrote:Display preferences - I use default now, but I can't find out what it means - I know it's 1280 x1024 by the look of it. Probably a Gutsy thing but it would be nice to see the values not Default
That would be nice I don't know why they have it that way.
Husse wrote:Looking at system monitor confuses me a bit.
Memory at the beginning 196 MB up to 212 MB in minutes Firefox is using 64 MB (one tab) which is more than I have normally with add ons no such here.
Tested this and have the same problem and it's not in Xubuntu Gutsy or Daryna main.
Don't have a clue why, but will be looking into.
Husse wrote:There is also more CPU usage than I'd expect. Nothing more than Firefox and system monitor running and I have a minimum of 8% with spikes up to around 30%. CPU is an Athlon 3700+ s754 so it's reasonably powerful. Much lower in Daryna and Celena. Will add the figures later.
My min is 3% and I only see it jump that high when I use scroll in Firefox. :?:
Husse

Post by Husse »

The cpu load is even less in Celena, there may be something in Gutsy that is using cpu cycles - and of course I use the same computer here.
Other partitions are owned by root (so you have to give your password to open one on the desktop)
This could be why the import of an account failed
And I'm not the only one that's bothered by the beep at close down
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41610
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

Performance of XFCE compositing

Post by rps63ifid »

Not a bug, but a question...

I've so far just played with the "live" version of this beta (as opposed to installing it), and the compositing performance of XFCE is pretty bad on the laptop I am using it on (Dell Latitude D600 with an ATI graphics adaptor). Is it realistic to think that the performance will be any different (better, I hope) once installed via tuning the xorg.conf?

--
/ron
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Performance of XFCE compositing

Post by neo67 »

rps63ifid wrote:Not a bug, but a question...

I've so far just played with the "live" version of this beta (as opposed to installing it), and the compositing performance of XFCE is pretty bad on the laptop I am using it on (Dell Latitude D600 with an ATI graphics adaptor). Is it realistic to think that the performance will be any different (better, I hope) once installed via tuning the xorg.conf?

--
/ron
yes, the speed will much faster after install and with a better ATI driver.
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Problem with sound and with Firefox

Post by oliverjames »

Installed Beta 008. Without formatting /home (Trying to avoid setting everything up again). Installing on ACER Travelmate 4052LMi, integral Realtek AC'97 sound circuitry.

Sound worked fine in live CD mode. Opened and listened to the BBC while installing.

After install no sound from computer. Attempting to listen to BBC or other audio streams causes Firefox to freeze. Previously Mplayer would open and play. (BBC uses Realplayer by default for many of its transmissions). Note that Realplayer not available thro Synaptic.

Manual install of RP doesn't solve problem, Firefox still freezes.

Have not been able to get sound with this Beta. All previous Mint installations have dealt with this impecably.

NOTE: similar problem experienced with Beta 021 Daryna Gnome.

Oliverjames
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Performance of XFCE compositing

Post by rps63ifid »

neo67 wrote:
rps63ifid wrote:Not a bug, but a question...

--
/ron
yes, the speed will much faster after install and with a better ATI driver.
Thanks, neo67. I went ahead and installed, and the compositing is quite a bit more responsive. It's been a while since I played with any of the XFCE-based distros, so its taking a bit of getting used to, but so far, I haven't seen any real problems.

The one thing I've noticed is that there are times where it just doesn't feel as smoothly responsive as the GNOME-based Daryna beta. It could well be related to the compositing in XFCE being turned on.

I also have to admit that I am not a Murrine fan, and have switched to Clearlooks...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: BUG on fusesmbtool???

Post by merlwiz79 »

ankantan wrote:Hello everyone,

In my test system wen i open network, fusesmb tool i see the error message:
unable to read /home/mint/.smb/fusesmb.conf click close and sometimes unable to read /home/mint/.smb/fusesmbtool.conf

when saving new configuration,
cannot touch /home/mint/.smb/fusesmb.conf permission denied, close, can´t open /home/mint/.smb/fusesmb.conf, close, changing permissions of /home/mint/.smb/fusesmb.conf : operation not permitted

for now is this...

ECS mainboard 671t-m, pentium dual core, no hd
This is not a bug read the about XFCE CE under FuseSMBtool.
You have to add permissions to your user to use it.

Setting User Privileges to use FuseSMBtool:

1. Open Users and Groups from the XFCE menu System --> Users and Groups.
2. Double Click the User Name that is used to login.
3. Click User Privileges.
4. Check the box next to Allow use of fuse filesystems like LTSP Thin Client block devices.
5. Click OK and Close Users Settings.
6. Now restart the system.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Use of fusesmb tool

Post by merlwiz79 »

ankantan wrote:Tks for the tip and sorry for the newbie question...

Great Work
No problem.
We all start out as newbies. :)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

.ee wrote:The dark green panel is really too dark, and the virtual desktops there are hardly visible.
Which mode is your monitor in?
I can see the panel just fine but my monitor is always in Picture Mode.
Maybe you have it Text Mode.
CyberManifest
Level 1
Level 1

Particular Issues

Post by CyberManifest »

First, I'd like to congratulate the entire LinuxMint Team; The LinuxMint experience over-all as a whole is extremely, extraordinarily, spectacularly, wonderfully, amazingly, marvelously, GREAT! From the incredible distro, to the appealing website, to the friendly forums, to the heart warm IRC room, to the breathtaking arts, to the amazing technology, to the talented networks, and to the helpful community.; it's all spell bounding and refreshingly "Minty". Kudos to all, especially those who pored their heart, hard work, and dedication into a rewarding experience.

Now that the compliments are addressed, let me inform of some issues I'd like to see addressed on a personal level...

I'm running Linux Mint Daryna XFCE Beta 008 on a Dell Dimension XPS R450 with 640MB of SDRAM.

More information about the system can be found at the following URL:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... /Specs.htm

My sound isn't working and doesn't appear to be easily resolved; this computer has an on board (integrated) Crystal Semiconductor CS4236 sound chip. Linux Mint seems to detect it as CS 4610/11 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator]; all in all, the sound isn't working even with various configurations.

Perhaps my biggest issue at the moment is that title bars on windows are gone until I start CompizFusion, and I must start it every time I reboot to get the title bars back; and this doesn't always resolve the problem, for instance, Compiz is running right now and my Firefox title bar is missing and the window is crammed in the upper right corner of the screen, but it's the only window at the moment that seems to be affected; other windows have their title bars. From research this appears to be an issue from the Beryl component of CompizFusion or from CompizFusion itself or from the combination of Emerald Window Manger with Compiz; *shrug* I'm not sure which; at any rate, it would be great if this could be resolved. I've also found that this issue seems to be more prevalent with nVidia graphics cards. I'm using an nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64MB AGP 2x video card.

Also, a D-Link Air DWL-520 (rev. E) PCI wireless adapter doesn't seem to work with Linux Mint, the card shows to be recognized but it appears impossible to get online or even get a signal to or from the device. I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or a configuration issue; some research indicates that the (Revision E), such as I have, is known to have issues in the Linux community; I wish there were some way to get this bad boy online.

One thing that would be cool to see is a theme for the Xfce panel that coordinates / correlates to the Emerald SolidSlateModified (System 4074 Reloaded Modified by Aualin) Theme. I realize that this theme is a bit dark and that the default Xfce panel sort of matches and too is dark, but I use a bright green diagonal background that accents the darkness really well and makes the desktop look refreshingly minty clean. =)

Well, those are my main concerns with this distro as it stands right now, but I expect more issues could rear their heads in the time to come.

Anyhow, Kudos again for a job well done, and keep up the amazing work.

Your Fellow Linux Mint User
SpearMint (rkm)
Akikaze
Level 1
Level 1

Issues on Toshiba Satellite M70-147

Post by Akikaze »

Well, I just installed Daryna on my HDD yesterday, and I must say I'm really impressed ! You've really done a great job on this release. However, I'm still experiencing some issues and I'd like to speak my mind on some things...

Issues
- main issue for me on my laptop is the network. I can reach the internet without problems, browse with Firefox and get my mail with Thunderbird, but... that's all. I can't connect to anything with Pidgin nor Xchat, and mintUpdate fails constantly as does Synaptic (all of them seem trying to connect to 1.0.0.0...) - maybe that's not "Xfce edition only" related, maybe that's a normal behaviour for a beta, still I don't know... (seems to be the same for Last.fm through Exaile)
- in XFCE mintConfig, the top right button (used to change the position of "groups") does not work (I can click "cancel" or "OK", but nothing happens)

Questions and impressions
- as some of the contributors said before, I don't like much the default presentation of the new Xfce panel. It's... well... to "Vistaish" : dark, glossy, with a huge button for the menu. Colors are inconsistant (e.g; the desktop changer) and it does not blend so well with the rest of the interface imho - but that's only my taste, and since I change those settings right after install, I don't mind much.
- since I installed Cassandra, I wondered why I have a "Network" folder in my home folder ; now I know it's for fuse.smb. Just one thing about that : it would be nice to have this folder by default in the side panel of Thunar (and, if possible, out of the home folder)

All I have left to say is a simple word : Wow !

Edit
- For the main problem, I finally got it to work, evn though I still don't understand ; sometimes it works well with DHCP, sometimes it works only with fixed IP settings...
- About fuse.smb, I did a quick search on the forums and found the info about configuration. Still, I thnk a shortcut to the fuse folder in the side panel of thunar would be nice.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: CD Ripper

Post by merlwiz79 »

ecomoney wrote:Hi just thought I would add, one of the end users main applications that they need is a cd ripper, and one isnt included in this distro. I notice you still have a few megabytes spare on the cd.
Gnormalize does that as well as rencode audio files.
It is setup to rip cds by default, but make sure to select none for normalize if you don't want it done.
goetzkluge
Level 3
Level 3

persistant background / horizontal shift / UTC/localtime

Post by goetzkluge »

Coming fron Fedora, this is the first time that I try Mint. I like it and will work with it. I use XFCE version 4.0 RC1. It has 3 "issues".

== persistant decoration ==
There is a persistant background deco, 1280x700. If I throw it out with mintConfig -> Desktop Settings it would come back once I "disallow" and and then "reallow" XFCE to manage the dektop. (I guess, I?l look for the files, which will are changed here)

== screen shifted vertically ==
Sttings -> Display Settings leads to a menu, where I can select screen resolution and where I can change the color intensity. After playing with it, I left the menu and then quickly got back yo it. Suddenly the vertical position of the displayed screen changed: ca. 30 pixils upward. Also the default valued for all 3 colors now arr zero (0%). I can conpensate thet by screen settings of the display, but I'll change it back to the previous settings.

== UTC vs. local time ==
This Mint inherited from Ubuntu: There was no question in the installer wheter the PC ckock (HW clock) runs in locel time or in UTC. I use UTC, Mint allumes loacal time. I managed to fix that allready using hwclock etc.

These are no complaints. I use a release candidate and here we have a nice distribution anyway. Languages: English, Chinese (traditional) and Japanese. Apps mostly will be mail and web browsers.

Compliments to the linuxmint team,
Goetz
leebojammin

Re: Bugs

Post by leebojammin »

ecomoney wrote:First off, congratualtions for an excellent distro, and an excellent attitude to developing open source software for people that just want to get on and use the computer!!!!

I have a problem with my laptop, a Dell c640, and getting the ATI Mobility 7500 drivers working so I can have desktop effects. I believe the drivers for this card are available as an open source package, so I can see no reason why they could not be included with the base install, as I am sure many laptops of the spec that Daryna is intended for will have this chipset. Specs and a solution under slackware can be found here. I wish to use the laptop to demonstrate Linux mint to potential customers of my business so this would be very nice to have them.

Apart from this, my first impressions are generally excellent, if I may suggest a few improvements...

The Labels on menus should indicate better what the programs do, not just what they are called. For example, instead of "Envy", perhaps the menu entry should say "Envy - Install Accellerated Graphics"

The tab to enable desktop effects is very hard to find, and I dont like the toggle button (a tick box would be better!).

The "Settings" menu is huge, and there appears to be overlap in its functions. I notice that there is an entry for the "Mint Control Centre" which puts everything into catagories, but these items are also available directly from the main settings menu. I think removing them from the menu would make things a lot more readable and intuitive.

I like the software compatibility with Ubuntu, but one thing I miss from ubuntu is the Software installer. Can it not be included with Mint? Synaptic is difficult to use for a beginner.

Many thanks for your hard work, I intend to use Mint for some time and will contribute what I can back to the community.
I agree, ENVY should say : ENVY-3D Accelerated Graphics Installer or just 3D Accelerated Graphics Installer . as when it loads it says ENVY anyway.

cheers
nl

Return to “Releases & Announcements”