Mint on Samsung Q1 UMPC (Touchscreen & USB help)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xaser
Level 1
Level 1

Mint on Samsung Q1 UMPC (Touchscreen & USB help)

Post by xaser »

Hello!
This is my first post and my first Mint installation.

I made it on my Samsung Q1 UMPC, and by the beginning it was very fine, however there is a weird issue with the USB sysem because it makes my Tuchscreen config erratic.

I have the Mint installation complete on the Q1, and works almost fine, except by the touchscreen.

I made the setting of the touchscreen by using the driver 0.86 and the info from this link:
http://stz-softwaretechnik.com/~ke/touc ... touch.html

(it works wonderfull and really FINE on my previous install on the Q1 that was Mepis, but after see that Mepis will go for Debian based, I would like to try Mint since I really like to find a Ubuntu and kde based distro since I like to have access to new packages versions. )

The touchscreen is seems that was made b Egalax, and is rcognized by the system as a USB connectd device:

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=0eef Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="Touchkit HID-USB Touchscreen"
P: Phys=/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 ts1
B: EV=b
B: KEY=400 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=3

By now the issue is that IF I connect a USB device like external keyboard, mouse, pendrive or my cell phone cable, after a proper shutdown of the computer on the next boot the touchscreen moves weird and jumps all over the top left corner of the screen and is not possible to control the cursor. HOWEVER I found that AFTER make a RECOVERY mint boot and then the normal common boot of Mint, the touchscreen works fine, and even I could use externalusb devices (however seems that sometimes my keyboard mus and pendrive connected trough a usb hub freezes all of them and the cursor works weird again)

I suspect that Mint stores some info about usb devices in somewhere that is in a later boot use as reference for config usb hardware and that makes the config of the touchscreen weird. I suppose that the recovery option wipe these stored configs and this may be the reason why fter a recovery the touchcreen works fine.

I really like Mint, but I almost sick of need to do a recovery bot every time hat I need to use my styus on the touchscreen.

Any help about what could be edit or modify in order that the normal boot of mint could do the same the usb system, as it do when load recovery mode.

thanks for the attention and best regards!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't know if any of this helps, but I'll give you this link
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... pad&t=3581
xaser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xaser »

hi! thank you for take time to reply! :-)

sadly, also the issue of the other topic is also unsolved. So I link also him to this topic in order to ay help him too... I have strong suspects that both issues are related.

I was checking on my limied knowledge, and appears that the trick on the RECOVERY boot is made by a script named init-botton, and I believe this because inmediatly after the boot process report the begin of this script, the usb detection and config appears that is made... and after this recovry boot is turn off and then boot nomal mint, the touchscreen woks fine with the stylus.

I tried to follow the script init-bottom in order to see if itcould be used in normal mint boot so I may have cleared the usb system info in every normal boot, so, hopefully it may solve the issue, but no luck, since this is far beyond my skills and knowledge.

...thanks agai,but, may be possible some othr ideas, sugestions, or help...

best regards to all! :-)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I believe this is a udev problem.

init-bottom scripts are run for both recovery and normal boot.
since /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/ is empty you could try this.
once you login and the touch screen is not working could you open a terminal and run:

sudo cp /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/udev /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/udev

I have some other ideas but can you enter terminal commands when the touch screen is not working?

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
xaser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xaser »

Boo wrote: sudo cp /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/udev /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/udev
I have some other ideas but can you enter terminal commands when the touch screen is not working?
Hi Boo!

Firts excuse me for delayed reply, I was out of home for couple of days.
Also thank You very much for take time to help.

Well, I did the command sequence copy and then reboot and sadly nothing happen, right now, I am using a diferent USB keyboard (generic one with trackball incorparted) than my previous test (generic one of the flexible silicone type, and a external common usb generic mouse). Both are the same thing, all them are configure and works well, however, the touchpad move weird and crazy over the upper top quarter area of the touchscreen and jumps quickly & crazy with any minimal movement of the stylus on any portion of the touchscreen. I also believe that is something about usb init config because after doing a Recovery boot and turn off, then turn on WITHOUT ANYTHING CONNECTED to the Q1, the Touchscreen configs and works WELL and smooth, and after finnish booting I could connecta any USB device mouse, keyboard, cell phone, and everything works fine, even connect to internet trought my cell phone (se-k800) and surf the net with firefox normally... all the stuff works like a dream until I trun off the Q1 and reboot, so, then the touchscreen dont works again, even the other usb hardware works fine (and did all tests, booting with usb stuff connected and without any attached to the Q1).

weird, that the recovery mode could do the trick and the normal booting dont, since both use the init-botton script... I suspect if the normal process use some kind of setting storage of reference log for the usb config, that may blow out the touchscreen in normal boot (I read that usb event avlues jump from one boot to another if diferent peripherals are aconnected and config at start up, but even if nothing is connected, the boot up process dont configs well the touchscreen like if a old value was used...)

so... still fighting... any other help/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks to all and best regards!
xaser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xaser »

Hi!
Well, I still be in the try & error process... no luck so far... but now I almost sure that is something related with the udev system and the booting config.

I made lot of additional test, but still no luck in ironing the issue of the touchpad (I also made changes in xorg.conf in order to know if chaging the /dev/input/touchscreen and the other option /dev/input/event2 (using 2 because following the number assigned in the config of usb are always 2 for the event of the touchscreen), and also try to remove the mod in rules, so touchscreen dont be assigned...

Well, I found only 2 things but I am still in dark...

1) I could config my touchscreen and works almost the same using the /dev/input/event2 as also the /dev/input/touchscreen setting and BOTH WORKS THE SAME with the same annoying issue, after a RECOVERY BOOT, the next Normal boot will work the touchscreen like a dream, but if the machine is turn off normally, and then turn on again and boot normally , the touchscreen is then misconfigured and the cursos jumps over the upper-left quarter of the screen.

2) A curious issue is that if I do a HARD-COLD turn off (push power button to off the PC without allowing it to make a a normal exit process(same if a power failure occurs)), then the next boot will be with some recovery and so the touchscreen works fine after that. By other way, in my previous tests I also finish the RECOVERY boot with a HARD FORCED OFF, and when I turn on in normal boot, the touchscreen works fine, HOWEVER if I do a proper smooth exit from the recovery move booting, and then start normal boot, then the touchscreen is fails too...

3)So because what I look in previous comment, Mint only configs the touchscreen fine, if was made a previous HARD FORCED OFF of the computer.

So, by now I am stuck, because no idea what could be the detail that is made after a FORCED OFF in the booting process, that is not made after a normal turn off.

Any additional help will be very apreciate.

Thanks for attention and best regards!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the touch screen stuff i think is the wacom referenced in xorg.conf.

but if you look in services there is a wacom-module-driver daemon.
i wounder if this is causing the problem.

so you could try restarting it or stop start it.
The gnome services app is not useful for this, im in kde mode atm.

so try looking for it in /etc/init.d/ for the wacom* daemon.
and then try:
sudo /etc/init.d/wacom... stop
sudo /etc/init.d/wacom... start

fill in my dot blanks

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
GroovingClockwork

Re: Mint on Samsung Q1 UMPC (Touchscreen & USB help)

Post by GroovingClockwork »

Hello folks,

I'm bumping this thread because I'm running into the same (or similar) problem as the original poster.

In summary, everything's great with Mint 7 Gloria on the Samsung Q1, except in the touchscreen area:
- from the original Gloria install, the touchscreen is responding, but the closer to the edges one gets, the more 'off' (towards the middle) the 'mouse' pointer appears - and some small width rim around the edges doesn't respond at all. (While this may seem 'pretty good', in actual use this quickly becomes quite unusable.)
- Trying "Calibrate Touchscreen" from the Control Centre gives an error box: "No evtouch capable device found, if you are sure you have an evtouch capable touchscreen, please mail the resulting file of the command "lshal > evtouch_hal.out" to the bug url https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/317094, so support for your device can be added." [This is the Ubuntu bug database - is it sensible to indeed send them the file as requested?]
- I tried something else first, namely installing the Linux driver from EETI/eGalax who make the touchscreen. It's found at http://210.64.17.162/web20/eGalaxTouchD ... Driver.htm
This installed alright using their setup.sh script; then they have a graphical config program (eGalaxTouch) within which I calibrated the screen. There is a test provided after calibration which clearly showed that the touch input was being tracked accurately, borders and all! Hallelujah? Not quite :( Outside of that test screen there are still issues:
1. Upon touching the screen with the stylus the mouse cursor / pointer is off, more so farther away from the centre of the screen; then when I lift the stylus, it jitters to where it should have been.
2. The right-click effect of holding the stylus to the screen for a while doesn't seem to work most of the time - though now and again it will. I can't see a pattern.

I am wondering if there may be some sort of interference between the eGalax driver and whatever it was that took charge of the touchscreen originally. Perhaps I could disable the latter? (edit: maybe the wacom Boo mentioned higher? Though I find nothing wacom-ish in /etc/init.d/) Or might there be some interference with the USB keyboard / pointing stick?

I've had a look at most pages you find in Google for "linux samsung q1 touchscreen" or similar and tried many xorg.conf setups, to no avail. Many tips are for other distros or older versions so they may not apply.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next, so any help would be much appreciated. I would consider another distro if someone has had success with it and it is similar in easy of use to Mint; though I'd probably prefer to stay true to Gloria. Thank you,

GC

Return to “Beginner Questions”