mplayer problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mplayer problem

Post by antiquexray »

satshen wrote:Hi,

I am getting the following error when I try to play avi or any other video format on mplayer.

"Error Opening / Initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device"

Please advise
I had the same problem. To fix it, launch MPlayer. If yours is like mine, the splash will come up, but distorted. Right-click on in the MPlayer window and open Preferences. Select Video and x11. You'll have to re-launch for the change to take place, the splash screen is still be distorted, but it plays my DVD.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:Select Video and x11.
Due to technical limitations x11 is a rather slow video output method. If possible you should try the gl or gl2 settings. Documentation that explains all this in detail is here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/ou ... d.html#x11
The mplayer developers: regarding 'x11' output method wrote:Avoid if possible. Outputs to X11 (uses shared memory extension), with no hardware acceleration at all.
The full documentation regarding video output methods is here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video.html

Regards,
Scorp123
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:Select Video and x11.
Due to technical limitations x11 is a rather slow video output method. If possible you should try the gl or gl2 settings. Documentation that explains all this in detail is here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/ou ... d.html#x11
The mplayer developers: regarding 'x11' output method wrote:Avoid if possible. Outputs to X11 (uses shared memory extension), with no hardware acceleration at all.
The full documentation regarding video output methods is here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video.html

Regards,
Scorp123
Your comment about the x11 is probably right on. However, it's the only video output I can use on my machine that doesn't give me either a video or audio packet error, or not work at all.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:Your comment about the x11 is probably right on. However, it's the only video output I can use on my machine

What graphics card do you have in your system?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:Your comment about the x11 is probably right on. However, it's the only video output I can use on my machine

What graphics card do you have in your system?
Well, to tell you the truth I'm not sure (remember I really just a newbie). I checked my Device Manager and it says VT8326A [ProSavage KN133] AGP4X VGA Controller (TwisterK). Is that it?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:Well, to tell you the truth I'm not sure (remember I really just a newbie). I checked my Device Manager and it says VT8326A [ProSavage KN133] AGP4X VGA Controller (TwisterK). Is that it?
Yes. Is that an older computer?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

[quot="scorp123"]
antiquexray wrote:Well, to tell you the truth I'm not sure (remember I really just a newbie). I checked my Device Manager and it says VT8326A [ProSavage KN133] AGP4X VGA Controller (TwisterK). Is that it?
Yes. Is that an older computer?[/quote]

I've had it for a while, but I'm not sure of the vintage...It was given to me...

HEY JOE. You there??? (he's jml #355...he gave it to me and sent me down this path of Linux). You know, I never thought about that. It's his fault!

Return to “Software & Applications”