Problems installing balsa not the email client

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Problems installing balsa not the email client

Post by Fergus »

Hey guys,

long time since i have updated this thread... purely for one reason. Everything has been working fine! Credit to the development crew.

I am still on Bianca, for the simple reason that i have finally got it doing most things right and i don't want to go through the whole mess again. So my view is that i shouldn't have to in a version or two. Perhaps v3.1 or 4 i'll upgrade again.

I am going to update my first post to reflect the issues i brought up over the entire thread and their solutions.

I am still struggling with my last problem documented in this thread. Installing my eda software. I have been talking with a friend who adores gentoo and he was able to install balsa with one simple command....

Code: Select all

emerge -uD balsa
however when i try the equivalent

apt-get -b install balsa 
i install the ubuntu email app.

I still have the errors when i run balsa of it not being able to find the tech libraries. This is mainly due to the location i am installing everything from.
I have been fiddling around with apt-get in hope i might find the correct combination but it is looking unlikely. I really don't want to compile the source code from scratch as there are a lot of interlinking components that i want to remain intact.

Can anyone help and give me an easy option? Would mint install help here if someone created the correct .mint file?

//Edit by Husse/
This post is split from
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=45
I don't know the answer and I think the chances for an answer are better if split/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have you tried
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Science- ... 1946.shtml
there's an install guide as well as download
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

Thanks Husse, i appreciate the gesture. The reason it was attached to the other post was because of the history there. Please look at that post for the problem background.

anyways, there are two ways to install the package...

====================================================================================
==  1/ To install Balsa 3.5 from the binary distribution (The tarball includes    ==
==  all the packages plus the Verilog Cver simulator (version 1.10h without bug)  ==
==  and the Icarus Verilog simulator (version 0.8)):                              ==
====================================================================================
Get:
	ftp://ftp.cs.man.ac.uk/pub/amulet/balsa/3.5/balsa-3.5-full-<arch>.tar.bz2
Install it (in /usr/local/balsa for example):
	cd /usr/local
	tar xjf balsa-3.5-full-<arch>.tar.bz2
Add these definitions to your shell configurations:
	PATH=/usr/local/balsa/bin:${PATH}
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/balsa/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
	export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
The following environment variables might also be needed (change /usr/local/balsa to your chosen installation directory):
	export BALSAHOME=/usr/local/balsa
	export WAVE_SHARE_DIR=/usr/local/balsa/share/gtkwave
	export WAVE_READER_PATH=/usr/local/balsa/lib/gtkwave

==  or 2/ To install Balsa 3.5 from source:                                     ==
The 2nd way is what is documented on softpedia whereas my preference is the first method to maintain all the linking between the other packages, and is generally less mess.
My problem is where the developers of balsa expect this to be installed, and thus being able to access the correct directories. Please see the linked post for details.

thanks
Ferg
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll look into it a bit later - too busy with other things now.
Yeah - the story should be attached and the place you posted was right (normally you should not attach to an old thread) but I hoped someone with balsa knowledge would see it if split
Anyway good luck and you are always welcome in the forum
//Edit/I should not have split off this, but rather made a new post with a link - I'll do that in the future if I feel the need for more attention
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

Just to confirm Husse, i got this working! All on my own! :shock:

I have no idea how though... i just thought to myself the other day. Wipe everything apart from the actual install files then follow the binary distribution instructions. I have no idea how i didn't get this right the first time!

This was my procedure for installations with no deb or rpm file.

Install it (in /usr/local/balsa for example):
   cd /usr/local
    [u]sudo[/u] tar xjf balsa-3.5-full-<arch>.tar.bz2

Add these definitions to your shell configurations in /usr/profile for everyone:
   PATH=/usr/local/balsa/bin:${PATH}
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/balsa/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
   export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
The following environment variables might also be needed (change /usr/local/balsa to your chosen installation directory):
   export BALSAHOME=/usr/local/balsa
   export WAVE_SHARE_DIR=/usr/local/balsa/share/gtkwave
   export WAVE_READER_PATH=/usr/local/balsa/lib/gtkwave 
the ctrl-alt-backspace to re-load everything!

I hope this helps someone else!
Husse

Post by Husse »

As I wrote in my response to the original thread:
You did it!?
I'm glad that it worked out for you, with the long story behind you. Never give up!
For once crossposting is (more than) acceptable. :)

Return to “Other topics”