Upgrade Bianca to Feisty

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

The mint apps should be fine on top of a feisty base, I'd say it should work OK

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well, ubuntu-desktop is not installed in Mint... it's a meta-package made "sur-mesure" for Ubuntu and it does conflict with some of Mint specifics (namely openoffice 2.1 for instance).

I suggest you use normal upgrade and dist-upgrade methods.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

No problem. Ubuntu is a great distribution and there's no secret why it's #1 on distrowatch. I perfectly understand that.

Clem
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Why's everybody in such a hurry to install a beta OS?

Anyway, a few questions. I can see possibly adding the feisty repos to get a few things, such as Gnome 2.18. But with the newer version of Gnome, aren't you running the risk breaking applications that depend on Gnome 2.16 libs? Sort of what Uncle Bob said "it's just that most applications tend to crash "unexpectedly" quite frequently. "
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Guys, I didn't follow my own advice in the last post. Curiosity got the better of me and so I "upgraded" Bianca to Feisty. Don't bloody do it! Here's the results. The 2.6.20 kernel couldn't get past the boot splash. The 2.6.11 kernel could, but the first attempt none of the icons in the Gnome panel would work. I made sure that the version numbers matched and everything. So booted to the xterm session and made sure all the packages were properly upgraded. So I rebooted and Gnome got a a screen bluish screen and didn't work, although that screen goes away when doing ctrl/alt/backspace to restart xorg.

At that point, I decided the hell with and decided the easiest course of action would be reinstall Biance (not that big of a loss, since I keep all my data on separate drives and partitions. I probably could installed Kubuntu Desktop and the end result would have been running Kubuntu 6.10, so I didn't really see any point in that. If I had tinkered about more, I probably could have fixed Gnome, but trying to do that would taken and longer and would have been more of hassle. Please not that I do somewhat know what I'm doing and don't just install packages at random and I watch what dependencies are going to be effected.

So wait for Cassandra if you run Mint. If you decide to run Ubuntu, its still probably a good idea to wait at least a bit longer (if not to the final release)
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Yeah. The only reason I did is because I keep my data elsewhere, so in the end it just cost me a little inconvenience. A lot of users would have wound up losing all their data.

I made mistake on last post. If I installed kubuntu desktop, the result would have been Kubutu 7.04, not 6.10 :p So much for reporting the results of freakish experiments at 5:41 am my time :lol:

Return to “Installation & Boot”