Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmesantos1

Re: Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

Post by mmesantos1 »

AK Dave wrote:FWIW I have 5gb bandwidth but I incur surcharges based on high usage. I appreciate smaller image files, esp with links to larger files as appropriate. If I want to see the bigger file, I can click it. I do appreciate mmesantos's compiz mastery, awesome pics, and intelligent moderate image compression (200-300kb for high quality is reasonable to me).

Thank you AK Dave,
I have been using flatten image and then scale image in gimp, it seems to help reduce the size by quite a bit.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

golinux wrote:
hamburn wrote:Sadly, it will not help if you use it. :( The guys here with the monster pictures should use it, to change their pics to smaller files.

Only if they make their pics smaller you have a chance to see them. :)
Do you really think I'm that clueless? I just wanted to know how to use Gimp better. I don't understand why they didn't include that function - it shouldn't require a plugin. It's quirks like that that keep sending me back to Photoshop.

I haven't said you are clueless, I have said the others should be more polite. What do you think, why I have fatted "The guys with.......?
And isn't it a nice thing, that our software is modular, so we can fit it to our needs? I never put pics on the net, so I must not have that function in my gimp. For me it's the freedom to choose what I appreciate in Linux.

Have a nice day.

H.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

hamburn wrote:
golinux wrote:
hamburn wrote:Sadly, it will not help if you use it. :( The guys here with the monster pictures should use it, to change their pics to smaller files.

Only if they make their pics smaller you have a chance to see them. :)
Do you really think I'm that clueless? I just wanted to know how to use Gimp better. I don't understand why they didn't include that function - it shouldn't require a plugin. It's quirks like that that keep sending me back to Photoshop.

I haven't said you are clueless, I have said the others should be more polite. What do you think, why I have fatted "The guys with.......?
And isn't it a nice thing, that our software is modular, so we can fit it to our needs? I never put pics on the net, so I must not have that function in my gimp. For me it's the freedom to choose what I appreciate in Linux.

Have a nice day.

H.

Hi Hamburn,
I am sorry that I did not think of users who have dial up or a slower connection to the web. I do try to reduce the file size as much as I know how to. I will keep this in mind in the future. Thank you for sharing your opinion in this matter. I am still new to Linux. I have been using Linux since about Jan of this year, I was learning how to install / use the basic of Linux back in November of 07. At that time I was using Mandriva, then switched to Ubuntu and Suse, I was trying to figure out which would be best for me. I then discovered Mint in Early Jan of 2008 and have stuck with it since. So any advice on how to use Linux is helpful. I was a Windows user only before Linux and I know that OS well. So again if you know of any helpful hints so help me with reducing the size of the pics I post for screen shots please let me know. I do not care to post links for the pics so that is not an option for me. Thanks again for your opinion in this matter and have a great day.
Losgann

Linux Mint 5 XFCE CE on my Dell laptop

Post by Losgann »

Nothing fancy, but my first desktop screenshot... I've been deflowered! :D

I found a lovely, industrial looking window decoration in the XFCE CE themes called "Retro", so I also took a shot with a couple of windows open:

mmesantos1

Re: Linux Mint 5 XFCE CE on my Dell laptop

Post by mmesantos1 »

Aquern wrote:Nothing fancy, but my first desktop screenshot... I've been deflowered! :D

I found a lovely, industrial looking window decoration in the XFCE CE themes called "Retro", so I also took a shot with a couple of windows open:

Looks good. Keep the screen shots coming. :)
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Switched my GTK Theme to Divinorum Blue Green. Goes well with the wallpaper. Icon Theme Deviant-Oxygen. :)
SAHChandler

Post by SAHChandler »

Running Cairo-dock.
Made those Periodic Table icons myself back when I was in windows.
They are Terminal, AbiWord, MonoDevelop,Gedit, ConTEXT(WINE), Notepad++, XChat, and Opera.

I have a bunch more, and could easily make them, if I had enough requests.

I use the Tango Icon Color set for them, so it fits with GNOME.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

mmesantos1 wrote
Hi Hamburn,
I am sorry that I did not think of users who have dial up or a slower connection to the web. I do try to reduce the file size as much as I know how to. I will keep this in mind in the future. Thank you for sharing your opinion in this matter. I am still new to Linux. I have been using Linux since about Jan of this year, I was learning how to install / use the basic of Linux back in November of 07. At that time I was using Mandriva, then switched to Ubuntu and Suse, I was trying to figure out which would be best for me. I then discovered Mint in Early Jan of 2008 and have stuck with it since. So any advice on how to use Linux is helpful. I was a Windows user only before Linux and I know that OS well. So again if you know of any helpful hints so help me with reducing the size of the pics I post for screen shots please let me know. I do not care to post links for the pics so that is not an option for me. Thanks again for your opinion in this matter and have a great day.

Thank you.
too much honour.
I'm a user with a little knowledge, nothing more. My only advantage is to have been interested and involved in IT since the seventieth as a user. And to have been on the net since the beginning 90th.
So I remembered the "gentlemen agreement" between site owners and surfers of that time to hold the files light.
When I red golinux's outcry I got a little bit emotional, that is it. And..... you have more skills in using Linux than I. I came to Mint in March or so. Before that I was a win32 user. But I learned to hate M$'s politics.
Mostly all I have learned about computers and how to use them I learned by doing. So my best advice is take a look under the hood, play around with the tools. Btw. when I see your pictures I think you have more skills in this than I. I think your desktops are fantastic. Very good work to show some friends who are Vista fans and are bragging about the 3D abilities of it, as if M$ has invented 3D for the desktop. :lol:

H.
Last edited by hamburn on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
hamburn

Re: Linux Mint 5 XFCE CE on my Dell laptop

Post by hamburn »

Aquern wrote:Nothing fancy, but my first desktop screenshot... I've been deflowered! :D

Thumbs up. :D

Funny thing is, i just red an article on http://www.spiegel.de (website of Germany's leading news magazine "Der Spiegel"), where the author joked about making a desktop like like your's. :lol: May be he took a peek here?

H.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

hamburn wrote:mmesantos1 wrote
Hi Hamburn,

Thank you.
too much honour.
I'm a user with a little knowledge, nothing more. My only advantage is to have been interested and involved in IT since the seventieth as a user. And to have been on the net since the beginning 90th.
So I remembered the "gentlemen agreement" between site owners and surfers of that time to hold the files light.
When I red golinux's outcry I got a little bit emotional, that is it. And..... you have more skills in using Linux than I. I came to Mint in March or so. Before that I was a win32 user. But I learned to hate M$'s politics.
Mostly all I have learned about computers and how to use them I learned by doing. So my best advice is take a look under the hood, play around with the tools. Btw. when I see your pictures I think you have more skills in this than I. I think your desktops are fantastic. Very good work to show some friends who are Vista fans and are bragging about the 3D abilities of it, as if M$ has invented 3D for the desktop. :lol:

H.
Thank you :oops:
How about you show a screen shot or two, I would like to see your desktop :)
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Hear is a screenshot from my Vista OS, I had to add some Linux Wallpaper so I could stand looking at it! :D

I used Microsoft Office to compress the pic for the web! :D
tawan

Post by tawan »

use .jpg and save it with about 76-80% quality (can be lower for less detailed images) and the resulting file will be much much smaller than a .png or other file type.

this is the web, optimization makes sense for many reasons. it's nice to be nice :)
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Here's my latest. Mint XFCE
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Nice desktop nelamvr6! :)
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

nelamvr6 wrote:Here's my latest. Mint XFCE
Thanks! Not as nice as yours, but I can live with it! :D
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

nelamvr6 wrote:

Do you run XFCE only or do you use other GUI's ( Gnome or KDE )? I like XFCE but I am not able to customize like I can with Gnome. I will chock it up to just not as familure with XFCE as I am with gnome. I have seen some very well done XFCE desktops but I can not seem to do as much with it. But XFCE does run quicker on my older system than gnome does, especially when I have Compiz on.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

mmesantos1 wrote:
nelamvr6 wrote:

Do you run XFCE only or do you use other GUI's ( Gnome or KDE )? I like XFCE but I am not able to customize like I can with Gnome. I will chock it up to just not as familure with XFCE as I am with gnome. I have seen some very well done XFCE desktops but I can not seem to do as much with it. But XFCE does run quicker on my older system than gnome does, especially when I have Compiz on.
This is my first full day running XFCE, I'm not the one to ask about customizing.

Prior to installing XFCE I was running Elyssa Main.

I can tell you that EVERYTHING is a LOT snappier! This thing is QUICK!!!

I'm not a guru at customization by any means, but getting Compiz and Emerald running was just a matter of a couple of clicks. It's not the latest Compiz though, no sphere deformation...
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

nelamvr6 wrote: It's not the latest Compiz though, no sphere deformation...
Add these to the sources.list and use mintUpdate to install all compiz updates.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu hardy main
Update packages:

Code: Select all

apt install libdecoration0 compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins libcompizconfig0 compizconfig-settings-manager python-compizconfig
You can now go to System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager and enable Cube Reflection and Deformation
Change Deformation to sphere.
Change in General Horizontal Virtual size to 4
XFCE Defaults:
General --> Display Settings --> Texture Filter --> Fast
General --> Focus & Raise Behaviour --> Focus Prevention Level --> Off
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

princess Merlwiz!

Check this:
Last edited by nelamvr6 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Thanks!

Return to “Screenshots”