Kernel Question

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Kernel Question

Post by antiquexray »

When I boot, I see 4 kernels listed.

2.6.20-16-generic
2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
2.6.20-15-generic
2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)

I can make an educated guess at the recovery mode, but why the different kernels? Do I need the 15? Is there a problem deleting it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Kernel Question

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote: but why the different kernels? Do I need the 15?
That's about safety. New versions mean: new bugs. So it could happen in some rare cases that on someone's system the newest kernel may produce strange errors and do unexpected things .... Having the previous version still in the menu is therefore a good thing as it allows you to boot into it if anything goes wrong with the new version.

I'd leave these things "as is" and not touch it unless you really really know what you do.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Kernel Question

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote: but why the different kernels? Do I need the 15?
That's about safety. New versions mean: new bugs. So it could happen in some rare cases that on someone's system the newest kernel may produce strange errors and do unexpected things .... Having the previous version still in the menu is therefore a good thing as it allows you to boot into it if anything goes wrong with the new version.

I'd leave these things "as is" and not touch it unless you really really know what you do.
I've learned to value your advice. I'll leave it alone. Thanks.

Return to “Other topics”