shutdown/restart causes bios time to advance 4 hrs

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Are you sure both your Linux installations are set to the correct time zone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Bianca Desktop time remains constant and accurate local time (12h) regardless of BIOS time.
The BIOS clock in some file/web servers may be set to Universal Time (UTC) even when the server isn't actually located in the Greenwich Time zone, and then each user's local time is derived accordingly. I know that Linux can operate in this way, as I've seen that configuration option during the installation of several distros.

Based on your description of the glitch, I'd look at whether or not Bianca is handling your BIOS clock as though it's running UTC instead of your local time.

To check if this is your situation, go Terminal and enter the following command (you can copy-and-paste from here)...

Code: Select all

cat /etc/default/rcS | grep UTC
If the above command output is "UTC=no" then Bianca treats your BIOS clock as local time, so your time problem is something else. You can ignore the remainder of this text.

However, if the above command displays "UTC=yes" then Bianca is treating your BIOS clock (a.k.a the server clock) like it's running Universal Time, while you (the user) are configured for New York City time, so that's what appears on your taskbar. Bianca (Linux) will try to keep both times correct, synchronizing via Internet time-servers if possible (thus defeating your manual BIOS adjustments).

To tell Bianca that the BIOS time is your local time, you can edit a configuration file. Go into Terminal for superuser gedit...

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/default/rcS
Change the line of text that reads "UTC=yes" to "UTC=no". Be careful not to change anything else. Then save the file.

If needed, go Bianca > Administration > Time and Date to set the correct time and date that's currently showing on your taskbar.

Restart your PC. Adjust the BIOS clock to your local time... for the last time!

Did any of this apply to your time problem?

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

This has been a long-standing issue. Thanks, telic, for helping me resolve it.
We've beaten the clock!

Let's give a pat on the head to Bianca, who was just doing her job. ;-)

------
icantux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by icantux »

Hooray for telic!

Just searched high and low in the forums for a solution to this issue I had as well, read your explanation, understood it, changed the clock setting and it worked. Thanks for offering an explanation along with a solution!

cheers!
piratesmack

Re: shutdown/restart causes bios time to advance 4 hrs

Post by piratesmack »

Telic, I love you! :!:
gegewali

Post by gegewali »

How do you access BIOS information on all computers? I'm joining an organisation which deals with old computers & I am to use the BIOS on startup to find out what RAM etc it has. Is there one key which is applicable to all computers?
Last edited by gegewali on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincent

Post by vincent »

The correct key to access your computer's BIOS differs widely with different PC/motherboard manufacturers. It can be any of the F# keys (on my LG laptop, it's F2, on my HP PC, I do believe it's the ESC key), or the delete key, or a combination of the above (maybe even with CTRL and ALT thrown in). The only way to know for sure is to randomly press keys on your keyboard until you get into the BIOS, or look for manuals (either in print or online from the manufacturer's website) for the particular brand and model of the computer.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Great solution to a common problem for dual booting with Windows. Thanks for the information.

Return to “Other topics”