chinese in mozilla

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Please excuse my ignorance (I have no knowledge of Chinese whatsoever), but maybe it's just the fonts that are missing? I sometimes get the same problem when trying to look at some Eastern European pages that use a different character set. So installing additional system fonts which are relevant to the language in question (search for "font" and/or "chinese" and/or "CJK" in Synaptic, e.g. in "Add/Remove Software" from the "Preferences" menu) might help the system to render these pages correctly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Try to add support for Chinese in the "Language Support" tool. That usually installs a lot of packages to support your language.

Clem
Exit Only

Re: chinese in mozilla

Post by Exit Only »

blu3ness,

I followed your instructions but was not able to get the yahei fonts to display in firefox. I downloaded the msyh.ttf and msyhbd.ttf files from the web and copied them to "/usr/share/fonts/vista/" and ran the 3 commands inside "/usr/share/fonts/vista/"; mkfontscale, mkfontdir and fc-cache -fv. Then I copied the contents of the configuration in your post and saved it as "yahei.conf" in "/etc/fonts/conf.d/". Logged out and logged back in. A few characters show up similar to those in your screenshot, but most other characters in firefox is still the old font. Did I miss or misunderstand something? Please advise. Thanks.

Edit: Btw, is Yahei just for simplified chinese or traditional as well?

Edit: After a bit more search on google, I think the Yahei is for displaying simplified chinese characters and Jhenghei is for displaying traditional chinese characters. Can you please tell me how I can install both?

exitonly
Ola

Re: chinese in mozilla

Post by Ola »

Hi everyone,

I've tried to follow the instructions by AllenTang54 but after installation the package manager gave an error message saying that language-pack-gnome-zh and language-pack-zh were not found on the server. Firefox still displays characters as boxes. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ola

Return to “Other topics”