Beryl issues (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Beryl issues (SOLVED)

Post by bigbearomaha »

After searching a bit, I am still having trouble with beryl.

I have no Maximize/minimize etc in the top bar of any windows.

can't resize windows.

when viewing the "cube" only the active desktop is displayed, the rest of the cube is black, or not there ( If I change the settings )

That's it. no other issues, but these are enough. ( actually, the cube thing I don't really care about.)

excerpts from my X11.conf:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposte" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

any help you might have, I thank you in advance for.

Big Bear
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Could be the theme you've chosen? I know some of them don't have the buttons.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

OK. You were right. Thank you. I installed emerald and selected a new theme, so I have max and mini again.

The cube is still black on three sides though, which is weird, because I remember it showing on all sides when I checked it out the first time. hmmm. a bit more investigating.

Big Bear
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry that I can't lead you to a fix, but I read something not to hard to find in google that solved this. You add some "mumbo jumbo" to your xorg.conf (or was it just the close and minimize buttons if they disappeared when they shold be there?) But it might have been this one which uses a script:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2226276
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

when viewing the "cube" only the active desktop is displayed
It follows that if the Beryl cube can show one workspace properly, it will show all of them if they're ready to be seen.

Check that you haven't changed your GNOME/KDE desktop config to have fewer than (the default) four virtual desktops, because each face of the Beryl cube is one of those available workspaces.

Also, the obvious: If your desktop has just a black background, e.g. without a wallpaper, then an empty workspace won't show as anything much on the Beryl cube face (just the taskbar and whatever desktop icons).

----
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I installed emerald and selected a new theme
Speaking of Emerald themes...

The Thin Black Glass theme provides extra title-bar buttons that allow any window to be set (pinned) as "Always On Top", and a button to make the window appear on every virtual workspace. These two new buttons are on the right side of each window title bar, along with Min, Max, and Close buttons.

And, on the leftside of every title bar, there's a button to operate Beryl's animated window "Shade" feature, and another button to transport the window to any viewport (workspace).

The Gnome-Look.org site also has other snazzy Beryl themes.

:-)
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

got it fixed.

somehow, the beryl window switcher got deleted. Got it all back together, no more problems at all. It works great. Thanks for the help.

Pretty snazzy setup too.

Big Bear

Return to “MATE”