Cell phone as a modem via bluetooth connection solved

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Cell phone as a modem via bluetooth connection solved

Post by carlos »

I haven't search google yet, but I figure I would ask if anybody has tried to use a cellphone as a modem via bluetooth connection.

I've done this in windows and on a mac, but haven't tried it yet on linux. If anybody has had experience please post.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Cell phone as a modem via bluetooth connection

Post by scorp123 »

carlos wrote: I would ask if anybody has tried to use a cellphone as a modem via bluetooth connection.
Yes. Sharp 770SH.
carlos wrote: If anybody has had experience please post.
Done. All you need is a nice modern mobile phone which really really has a hardware modem built-in, i.e. it does not emulate anything via any bogus Windows-only software. If you can positively say 'yes' to this then it's relatively easy and Google will tell you the rest: Pair your phone with Linux so that your Linux thinks it has a modem device on a serial port (/dev/ttySxx) and then tell your Linux to do a PPP dial-up. If you feed your mobile phone with the right modem 'AT' commands it will even do EDGE/GPRS (= higher data rates) connections. All this can be Googled.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Thanks scorp you da mang!
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Would this apply to a USB connection (Sony-Ericson W700i)?
The phone has bluetooth I think but not my desktop
Want to be able to use it in case the phone line breaks
I just wonder if you know scorp - I get a bit ambiguous results in a quick google
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote: Would this apply to a USB connection (Sony-Ericson W700i)?
Unfortunately no. The "Serial-Port Emulation over Bluetooth" is kind of a standard, so that even with Linux and Mac it is possible to do this. The USB connections however are mostly following proprietary standards and require a Windows software somehow. There are only very very few phones that will work tip top on Linux when connected via USB cable.
Husse wrote: The phone has bluetooth I think but not my desktop
Buy a Bluetooth USB-stick ... they are cheap as dirt and most of those should work with Linux. I have a very old one from Acer. Works tip top.
Husse wrote: Want to be able to use it in case the phone line breaks
There are better alternatives. I am considering to get myself a Huwawei E220 USB modem ... You can get 3.6 Mbps with it via HSDPA (= data link via UMTS).
http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/prod ... .do?id=282

One of our local Swiss GSM+Internet providers 'Sunrise' is offering those right now and I am seriously thinking of getting one. 3.6 Mbps via HSDPA is just f***ing awesome.
http://secure.sunrise.ch/ecportal/ecare ... ngch=de_CH

I know via Google that the Huawei E220 USB modem can be made to work with various Linux distros, incl. Ubuntu 7.04
http://the.taoofmac.com/space/Huawei/E220
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?s= ... ostcount=8

If I were you I'd check if any of your providers in Sweden is offering something like this as well.
daka
Level 1
Level 1

mobile phone modem

Post by daka »

Hi

I have a lot of experience connecting with Huawei E220 and also with mobile phone as modem, as I live on a mountain with no phone line.

I have found bluetooth very problematic.

Best to disable the pin by putting the card in a phone and disabling it

With mobile phones many people are connecting quite easily with a USB cable. The "modem" is recognized as "ACM0"

Here is my wvdial.conf file that I use to connecta Nokia N80 and Nokia 6234:

[Dialer Nokia]
Phone = *99***1#
Username = vodafone
Password = vodafone
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 460800
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ac.vodafone.es";

--- so I end up connecting by opening a terminal and entering: wvdial Nokia

**** very simple with the cable.... and I use Feisty

With the Huawei E220

wvdial.conf file looks like:

[Dialer hsdpa]
Phone = *99***1#
Username = vodafone
Password = vodafone
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ac.vodafone.es";

But the Huawei is not automatically recognized and you have to enter, in terminal:

sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd

then re-start computer..... open terminal.... enter wvdial hsdpa .... and you are connected
(again this is in Feisty..... it is more complicated in previous distros

Good luck

Daka
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: mobile phone modem

Post by scorp123 »

daka wrote: With mobile phones many people are connecting quite easily with a USB cable. The "modem" is recognized as "ACM0"
That highly depends on the brand. It seems that Nokias do a considerable better job at this. Other phones, such as my otherwise brilliant Sharp 770SH, will do nothing if you connect them via USB to a Linux system.
daka wrote: Here is my wvdial.conf file that I use to connecta Nokia N80 and Nokia 6234:
Excellent. This surely will be useful for people searching for config examples. Thanks :D
daka wrote: With the Huawei E220 wvdial.conf file looks like:
Excellent :lol: ... Thanks a lot :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Just to post here that I got my HSDPA/UMTS modem .... but it's not a Huawei E220, it's a Novatel "Ovation MC950D" ... It looks like a black USB-stick.

Basically you can follow the instructions given here (although this stuff is for a different model, the instructions worked perfectly !!):
http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/down ... _Guide.pdf

Only minor difference: The product ID is '0x4400'. So when the instructions in the PDF tell you to issue commands such as "sudo modprobe usbserial vendor={ID} product={ID}" then these are the correct values:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x4400
This thing works almost instantly. I am using it right now. :D

Return to “Other topics”