How do i send files to my mobile-phone via bluetooth

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Hi!

I got bluetooth working with cassandra.
So far, I can receive files from my phone. But I haven't figured out how to send files to my phone. I know that there is a *deb called "nautilus-send-to", but if I'd install it, I would also remove pidgin, and I'd return to gaim.
Do you know alternatives? Any hints are welcomed....

K.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Try to google with your subject line

I think you may have the solution there. Don't have bluetooth.......
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Hey!

Well I got it working with the command:

Code: Select all

gnome-obex-send
that I opened in the terminal.
This will open a message-box, that hopefully shows your BT-device.
You need to check the output of the terminal. It will show you the BT-Identificationnumber of your BT-Device: something like this: 00:12:0D:55:0F:0G
With the command:

Code: Select all

gnome-obex-send --device 00:12:0D:55:0F:0G /home/USER/FileYouWantToSend
you'll be able to send the File you want to send.

It works...but it is not such a good method, because it uses the terminal, that could be to complicated/uncomfortable for some users.

K.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

There are comfortable GUI tools for both GNOME and KDE ... I suggest you search in Synaptic, e.g. search for "bluez", "blue", "bluetooth" and check the results that show up. Then check the description of each package.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

RedJak wrote:If nothing else, we may just be able to band together and make a GLADE dialog for OBEX ourselves
... or we just use the shell :wink:
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

There are comfortable GUI tools for both GNOME and KDE
I know that KDE has a very comfortable GUI for bluetooth, but until now, I wasn´t able to find anything that is comfortable in Gnome.
Don´t get me wrong, but I am wondering, what programs you girls/guys use to get contact with BT-devices. I haven´t found anything as comfortable as kbluetoothd-but that´s KDE-based?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You can use KDE applications in Gnome and the other way round.
Install the KDE app you like....
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Hey Husse(&others) !

Well, of course I do know that I can install KDE apps in Gnome and vice versa, But if I'd install the KDE-stuff for BT, I'd need to install Konqueror and other KDE-applications to get a comfortable BT solution. And that is exactly not what my intention is (<-hope that this was english :roll: ), I'd love to have a "pure" Gnome desktop and no an mix of KDE/Gnome.

The simplest solution -to resolve my BT-problems- would be an adapted "nautilus-send-to" package, that doesn't need "gaim" in it's dependency ...I'd love to build this package- and share it to everyone, but I'm afraid to say, that I just not geekish enough to get this working...

Well: Long speech, short sense :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hi RedJak
You are more than welcome to contribute to Mint, and if there is such a large problem (at least in Gnome) to easily use bluetooth I think it will be appreciated

Return to “Hardware Support”