I got Beryl - and then?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

I got Beryl - and then?

Post by Husse »

The only things I notice is that you get some preview when you point your mouse to "what ever it's called that indicates your program in the task bar" and that I loose the "title bar" (it's called so in Windows anyway) so I can't close (or minimize/maximize) the program. On occasion something odd happens but is gone before I can see what it is. No cube.... nothing nifty.
My card is correctly identified as nVidia 6600GT and the driver is "nvidia" and I followed the how to in the wiki to install beryl.
What comes to mind is that I don't have 3D, but I thought the "nvidia" driver was 3D
It's no big deal for me but I would like to see beryl in it's "full glory"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

beryl-manager is running?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I read enough about beryl even before I installed to get at least the basics. I have an icon in the bar and Metacity is the default window manager, but I can start Beryl by selecting it. I have to correct my first post a bit, it's only already open windows that loose the "title bar" when beryl starts, new windows seem to have it. I've done some research into Beryl Settings manager and there is such an abundance of settings that I may well have missed something.
Oh, I forgot that "meandering" motion when you minimize or maximize a window (can be done from the bar if you don't have the "title bar").
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:I have an icon in the bar and Metacity is the default window manager,
I use emerald :D
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

No cube.... nothing nifty.
Beryl runs sweet 'n' swift under a properly coaxed Bianca.

If you see the taskbar previews and "meandering" effect, then Beryl is on the job. Now to make it dance...

To get the rotating cube, press CTRL and ALT and drag your mouse while holding down the LeftMouseButton. CTRL-ALT-LeftMouseButton_Drag.

To adjust the translucency (glass effect) of a window, hold the ALT key while twiddling the MouseWheel. ALT-MouseWheel.

To have windows wobble when you drag them with your mouse, invoke the Beryl Settings Manager, click Visual Effects, then select Wobbly Windows.

Ram your mouse-pointer into the top-right corner of your desktop to get a bird's-eye view (a la MacIntosh Exposé) of all your open windows, from all workspaces. You can preview any one window with a mouse right-click (a toggle action), or jump to a window with mouse left-click. Or ram your mouse-pointer again into the desktop top-right to restore normal desktop view.

Other effects (e.g. background blur, flaming window closure) can be added and customized.

Way nifty. :-)

Linux Mint 2.2 (Bianca)
GNOME 2.16.1, Beryl 0.2.0, nVidia driver 9755
AMD Athlon XP2200+
ASUS A7V8X-X, 1152MB DDR333
XFX GeForce FX5200 AGP8X 128MB
ATI TV Wonder VE (Bt878)
Hansol 920A 19-inch CRT

----
Husse

Post by Husse »

A few adjustments and it looked nice and more to my liking.
I'm blushing :
"press CTRL and ALT and drag your mouse while holding down the LeftMouseButton"
missed that completely :)
But I use my left hand to handle the mouse, even though I'm "normally" right handed, so my hands kollide :)
Scorp123 wrote:
"I use emerald"
Well, I only have Beryl and Metacity to choose from :)
In Beryl manager I have "Emerald themer", but I don't have Emerald as a window manager. But maybe you mean you have Emerald themes....
Anyway - it works now - thanks!
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

But I use my left hand to handle the mouse, even though I'm "normally" right handed, so my hands kollide
Then you might favor Beryl under PCLinuxOS 2007, because, for some unexplained reason, the rightside Alt key is used.

I thought the Beryl feature was broken in PCLOS, until I tried AltRight after finding that AltLeft didn't do the job (as it does in every other Linux distro I've test-driven). Ideally, either set of ALT and CTRL keys should work. Ain't so.

BTW, you can let go of CTRL and ALT after the cube appears, and continue the spin with just LeftMouseButton_Drag. This may spare your knuckles.

----
Husse

Post by Husse »

Or, as I read in the relevant section of Beryl's homepage which I missed earlier, ctrl+alt +any arrow (left, right, up, down)
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Or, as I read in the relevant section of Beryl's homepage which I missed earlier, ctrl+alt +any arrow (left, right, up, down)
The CTRL-ALT-Arrow keys are used to jump from one workspace to another on any GNOME or KDE desktop. Beryl just utilizes its twirling cube to animate a common keyboard action.

Likewise for CTRL-ALT-TAB, to invoke the fancified "live thumbnail" window (task) switcher.

----
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Middle-mouse-button press (scrollwheel) on desktop spins cube also.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1

Return to “MATE”