LinuxMint, Ubuntu, and Automatix

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

LinuxMint, Ubuntu, and Automatix

Post by antiquexray »

I realize that Clem has voiced his opposition to using Automatix, but I, for one, do. Please see this announcement on Distrowatch. What will this mean for Mint and Automatix users in the next release?

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070806#news
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

For one, mintInstall is supposed to do what automatix does, at least to some degree
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Automatix Poses Danger to Ubuntu Installs
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

They did an interesting analysis ... and the conclusions are devastating. Automatix is a dirty hack ... and a pretty dirty one at that too. No wonder that the people in the #ubuntu IRC channel totally oppose it. :?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Fair enough, and I actually totally agree with the demonstration but they don't actually help solving the matter. There's obviously a need for something like Automatix, it's fair enough to say don't use it but you need to come with something else.

mintInstall, like Automatix, is far from perfect but it answers that same need. I'd be interested to know what the strategy is regarding this. Will Ubuntu develop its own solution, will they invest time into perfecting mintInstall or Automatix or something else?

I keep telling Mint users not to use Automatix... but not because it sucks, simply because we have something better. If I was to talk to an Ubuntu user which doesn't have mintInstall... I wouldn't tell him not to use Automatix, since that's all he's got.

Plus, a lot of people actually like Automatix and a lot of people use it successfully. So ok it's not well designed and all, but as the number #1 solution for Ubuntu users to install 3rd party applications we have to recognize the fact that it's done a pretty decent job.

So in brief. I agree with the points and the argumentation. I agree with the fact that Automatix is not an ideal solution. I don't like when people use it under Mint, especially now that mintInstall is here, but we have to acknowledge the fact that it still brings features that users need and can't easily find anywhere else.

Let's build alternatives instead of just telling people not to use it.

Clem
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:...Automatix, is far from perfect but it answers that same need. I'd be interested to know what the strategy is regarding this.
You're speaking to my concern now. I love Mint, and have been using almost exclusively, in part, with the help of Automatix (I've never had a problem with Automatix). Unfortunately, I will continue to need some of the services of an Automatix, an EasyUbuntu, etc., to continue my current level of use of LinuxMint, so I hope there are, or will be, other options in the not to distant future.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

clem said:
Fair enough, and I actually totally agree with the demonstration but they don't actually help solving the matter. There's obviously a need for something like Automatix, it's fair enough to say don't use it but you need to come with something else.
Just one more great example of why I support, promote, and use Mint.

I used Automatix when I first started using Linux (Ubuntu). It was a good solution for the absolute nOOb with limited time to learn.

Automatix and other third party apps may ultimately be responsible for retention of new / casual users of Linux. And the Linux community in general needs to get the causal user involved in the promotion of Linux (Mint of course :D). To get them involved, these users may need something that makes it easy to load that codec, etc. When it is easy they talk about how easy Linux is. Learning the CLI, will come next, but searching out how-to instructions, editing config files ,etc. while you listen to your favorite music makes it much more enjoyable. :wink:
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Remember Ubuntu will soon be using CnR from Linspire.

this is supposed to be the answer to automatix/mintInstall....

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Alucard-sama
so your strange size and fuse problems are over?
Sorry I did not follow it up but old threads sink so fast down the list of my posts ....
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ive been trying the freespire cnr plugin,

if you want to try it add this line to synaptic

Code: Select all

deb http://apt2.freespire.org/CNRUbuntu skipjack-feisty main #Freespire
beware just install cnr-client as it will want to upgrade a load of codecs, which may cause no problems but i didnt wanna risk it.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

scorp123 wrote:Automatix Poses Danger to Ubuntu Installs
I am in full agreement with this opinion. I will not advise anybody, even a Ubuntu user or a beginner (who maybe will not be able to repair his/her install in case of problem) , to use this "thing". :?
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Software & Applications”