Audio

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattrixx
Level 3
Level 3

Audio

Post by mattrixx »

I have tried the "liveCD" of both Ubuntu 7.04 AND Mint 3.0 Cassandra, and can NOT get my S.B. "Audigy1" soundcard working in either.

I have NO problem with audio using previous versions of Ubuntu 6.1 OR Mint 2.2 Bianca!
No special driver or action on my part was required, it "just worked"!
This is what attracted this newb to MINT in the first place.

With MINT Cassandra it seems as though my Sound Blaster Audigy1
is not detected properly, or that I lack a specific driver loaded?

I have another computer with a S.B. "Live" 5.1 soundcard, and it also
has this SAME lack of audio problem with the "live CD" Feisty Fawn and Cassandra!

Also, when updating or installing software with Cassandra, I get an error message:

*Sorry, the program "mint Menu_frontend.py" closed unexpectedly.*

Though it does appear to successfully download and install the requested packages.

Another problem (with Cassandra "live CD"), I can NOT open the
"Device Manager" to view my listed hardware, but instead I get an
additional error message !

I like staying distro current, and the Beryl 3D effects are "way cool"!!
I have Mint BIANCA *installed* and working just GREAT on an external (USB) laptop HDD,
which I can easily access using my Asus MB "Quick Boot" option,
but I would NOT even consider upgrading to Cassandra with these (and other) issues.

Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

There are problems with the Creative drivers in Linux as well as in Windows....
I think this link helps you:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=425883
Basically deselect the "Digital Output Jack" checkbox.
The errors with mintMenu and Device manager probably disappears after install.
The live CD contains about 2.6 GB compressed into CD format and things may happen with your specific hardware. When installed the uncompress is way less likely to get busted.
mattrixx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mattrixx »

Thanks Husse !

I now HAVE my audio, after following your link and info!!

I must say however, that while later playing an .mp3 file and surfing with Firefox, I got a hard crash which after shutting down and starting up again,
I was UNABLE to initially repeat getting my audio back.

This procedeure of: Double clicking the speaker icon /Selecting my Audigy sound card/ and finally UNCHECKING the Analogue/Digital output jack, finally did work after restarting (Cassandra liveCD) YET AGAIN!

Not sure what`s going on here?
MAYBE (as you suggest) like the other issues I mentioned in my original thread, these problems will disappear once Cassandra is installed as such?

Thanks again,

Matt
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes the problems probably disappear after install. Unfortunately live CDs that are there to show off all the goodies have a problem and more so the less memory you have. I've got 2 GB in this machine and it works all right but with 512 MB as in another computer you notice that it's going on its knees
mattrixx
Level 3
Level 3

Cassandra Audio OK

Post by mattrixx »

Just to confirm what Husse outlined in response to my earlier post.
I bit the bullet and did a "fresh install" over my exceptionally working and
previously installed BIANCA MINT2.2 and and I couldnt be more pleased!

All the issues I was having with the "LiveCD" version of MINT`s latest Cassandra and my system, disapeared or were resolved once I installed Cassandra!

As Husse stated, with the "LiveCD" and the highly compressed files contained within, you can sometimes get some wierd and unwanted results when booting up and running that way on some systems.

The actual installation was even a breeze compared to my earlier install of BIANCA to an external USB HDD! Everything went smooth with NO final editing of GRUB.

BERYL works great and the 3D effects are fun! Who needs AERO?
I am posting this from one of the 3D`s cube desktops while listening to music
residing on my system`s Windows drives.

I am now up to date with the latest and GREATEST Linux distro!!

Thanks again Husse (and MINT!)

Matt

Return to “Beginner Questions”