Hibernate Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrk1219

Hibernate Problem

Post by vrk1219 »

Hi Gurus,
I have a problem with my Mint (Daryna).
I have a PC with 2GB RAM, and so I had crated SWAP with more than 2048 MB in size, so that hibernation can work.

When I hibernate the PC, hibernation feature is working fine.
But once I restart my PC and get into Linux, I'm not able to hear sound.

I have to restart the system again to hear sound... :(
Which is actually making me lose the benifit of hibernation feature.

Please help me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hibernate Problem

Post by Udi »

You didn't say anything about what sound card you have....

Anyways, I looked for possible solutions to the problem you describe and this is what I found (one of these might help you):
1) Upgrade to Felicia. You have a powerful machine - why the old Linux? There was a bug in ACPI that is related to your problem, and it is fixed in the newer kernels.
2) When coming back from hibernate - double click the volume icon to open the sound mixer, and mute and unmute everything.
3) Edit /etc/default/acpi-support and set HIBERNATE_MODE to 'platform' instead of 'shutdown'.

I got all the info from this post (there is more information for you to try there):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294275
vrk1219

Re: Hibernate Problem

Post by vrk1219 »

Udi wrote:You didn't say anything about what sound card you have....

Anyways, I looked for possible solutions to the problem you describe and this is what I found (one of these might help you):
1) Upgrade to Felicia. You have a powerful machine - why the old Linux? There was a bug in ACPI that is related to your problem, and it is fixed in the newer kernels.
2) When coming back from hibernate - double click the volume icon to open the sound mixer, and mute and unmute everything.
3) Edit /etc/default/acpi-support and set HIBERNATE_MODE to 'platform' instead of 'shutdown'.

I got all the info from this post (there is more information for you to try there):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294275
hi, sorry my sound card is Soundblaster Live5.1

Return to “Beginner Questions”