[SOLVED] Windows resize during game play

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Unstuck

[SOLVED] Windows resize during game play

Post by Unstuck »

I've been trying to play Warzone 2100 and Alien Arena, but the game window inevitably resizes and sometimes go completely black while playing. Sometimes color and gameplay returns, but this can take several minutes. How can I fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Windows resize during game play

Post by Husse »

Which Felicia exactly (main?)
More info on your hardware - run lspci in a terminal and post the result here
Which driver do you use for the nvidia card? Installed how?
Games put stress on your computer and it's not unheard of that odd things happen (in Linux, Mac and Windows)
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

Felicia Main
Driver: nvidia accelerated graphics driver (version 173). I think this was automatically installed...
LSPCI
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 11)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
02:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 04)
02:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
02:0b.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 0a)
02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's a somewhat old hardware and I've noticed some odd problems with the Brookdale chipset but I don't really see a problem
There is however a never driver and I'd recommend you to use envy to install it. The Envy GUI used up too much space to fit into a one CD ISO so you have to invoke it from the command line

Code: Select all

envyng -t
I think this will also add nvidia-setttings
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

Envy did add Nvidia settings, and installing a new driver was easy. Unfortunately, the problem still exists.
Bonster

Post by Bonster »

Had similar problem b4. I think it was compiz or the screensaver timer, after u play a long time. Try disable compiz or screensaver.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Bonster - you may be right - it's way too easy to forget about Compiz - it gives a nice appearance but can be a pain in the ---
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

Bonster got it. Thanks for your help Bonster and Husse.
BladeWS

Re: [SOLVED] Windows resize during game play

Post by BladeWS »

I had the same problem with Tremulous.The problem was the screensaver :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”