Hotmail and Firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arron

Hotmail and Firefox

Post by Arron »

As some may have noticed, there is a new looking Hotmail out and MS is up to its old tricks.

MS has stopped Ubuntu, and maybe other Linux distro's from editing emails in hotmail. This is a complete abuse of a "free" email, to promote thier own OS and browser. For me, I will move away from Hotmail, and go with GMail and never use a MS product in my personal life again (I dont even dual boot, or have any MS software installed on all the pc's in my house).

Anyhow, how nice of a forum poster would I be without a fix for it....

open this url in Firefox:

Code: Select all

about:config
Look for this info

general.useragent.vendor
And then change the text from

Ubuntu
To

Firefox
Now you might need to restart the pc. When I restarted Firefox, it did not work for some reason (could be me with multiple windows open or something). Try to close and open firefox and see if that works, if not reboot. Let me know if close - open works or not.

And now magicly everything works..... Funny that.... Coincidence? I think not!

Arron

PS... Not sure where to post this in the forums...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
celtic426

Re: Hotmail and Firefox

Post by celtic426 »

Nice, but I have no idea why anyone would use Hotmail instead of gmail.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Wow.... i can't believe that is why I was having trouble. That's just blatant.
Arron

Post by Arron »

celtic426 wrote:Nice, but I have no idea why anyone would use Hotmail instead of gmail.
Yes, Im the proud new owner of a gmail account. So many other things are linked to my hotmail (forums, ebay, online stores, friends, etc) it will take a very long time to get it switched over, if ever.

All new stuff will be with my gmail, and switch the important stuff. I still cant believe MS, but then again I can.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

welcome to the world of online marketing, and windows is really something when it comes to earning money and they will do everything to deplete your money in your pocket
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
nephersir7

Post by nephersir7 »

Ozz wrote:I don't know if I should be posting here or elsewhere.

Your solution did get my hotmail going again, however, I wish to switch to another email provider, to avoid all this

For personal reasons, I would like to try another provider than Gmail (They are in my opinion the next Microsoft) or Yahoo.

Could you recommend any open source email providers? With an effective spam manager to boot?
Google is in NO way the next microsoft (or even worse, Apple)

Gmail is the best and the most open-source friendly. Google not only supports but promotes open-source and at least you get pop3 on your email account, so if you wanted for whatever reason to switch, you could forward all your incoming messages to your new e-mail account. For me, switching from hotmail to gmail was even more satisfying than switching from IE to firefox or windows vista to linux mint.
awshidahak

Post by awshidahak »

yes, i def dont have a hotmail account. i know people who do and they use it on windows with issues. gmial or safe-mail is def better.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Why not use www.mail.com if you think it's worse that google reads your mail then that Microsoft does...
...or better yet, get your own domain and host your own mail.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

Zwopper wrote:Why not use http://www.mail.com if you think it's worse that google reads your mail then that Microsoft does...
...or better yet, get your own domain and host your own mail.
best reply, zwopper :) ... I trust neither Microsft nor Google.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

It worked perfectly from your tutorial but the only problem I've got is that it takes all the e-mails from my online MSN.com login so that I can't view them online, I also couldn't see any of my folders, is this correct or have I not completed something?

Steve
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I have gotten really good email service with GMX. They have .uk, .us, .de, .com, and some other extensions. GMX has a clean website that does not force a whole bunch of ads on you when checking your email using the web portal. I am using GMX with Thunderbird. IMAP support with GMX has been fantastic. I can verify that everything works without having to make any adjustments or tweaks. Plus, GMX has Jabber/XMPP Instant Message access that works great with Pidgin and Empathy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”