[Solved] Lost mintMenu and I can't add it back to the panel!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Re: Lost mintMenu and I can't add it back to the panel !

Post by Lantesh »

You could try going into Synaptic Package Manager and reinstalling the mintmenu package. Just run a search for it, and it will show up in the right pane. Now click on the little check box to the left of the actual word mintmenu and a small dialogue box will appear with options. Choose reinstallation and then apply. Hopefully that fixes things for you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Completely remove it using Synaptic, then install it again. I guess it is something wrong with one of the configuration files or something.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Open a terminal and type:
- sudo aptitude remove mintmenu
- sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu
- gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/mintMenu
- Reinstall mintMenu: sudo aptitude install mintmenu
- Add mintMenu to your panel again
Note that this will remove all mintMenu settings, so if you have customized it (except from adding new menu entries) it will be gone.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
rldev

Re: [Solved] Lost mintMenu and I can't add it back to the panel!

Post by rldev »

This has happened to me 3 times now. It is a bit concerning. Thanks for the fix.
brainbuz

Post by brainbuz »

I had this problem and checked my apt-logs. uninstalling fortune also triggered removal of mintmenu.
I reinstalled mintmenu and got things fixed.
Even if you uninstall fortune you get an error every time you launch a terminal, so you have to disable fortune by removing the line from /etc/bash.bashrc that invokes fortune.
joe2

Post by joe2 »

I managed to find the cause and fix it. The python module "gnomeapplet" was missing. I found this out by trying to execute

CODE: SELECT ALL
cd /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/
./mintMenu.py

So I tried to find what package that module resided in. Turns out I was missing the python-gnome2-* packages wich I installed via Synaptic.

Tried running the mintMenu.py again and bingo...

Finally ! Thanks for your help everyone
That helped me, I searched in synaptic and fount the package in python-gnomeapplet. Reinstalled it and then tried again... walla!
Thank you1
onionparadise

Re: [Solved] Lost mintMenu and I can't add it back to the pa

Post by onionparadise »

Hi, I'm having the same problem as BShearer. I think the catalyst was that I tried to install Python 2.7, which is available for Ubuntu, but apparently not for Mint, since I had to get it from the Ubuntu package repository. I tried uninstalling Python 2.7 and reinstalling 2.6, but no go. Any ideas?
croquet

Post by croquet »

onionparadise and BShearer I'm in the same situation as you.

I uninstalled python2.6 and installed python 2.7 manually, by downloading the .deb file from Python's website.
This simply killed whole Linux Mint, because:

Whatever you do, do not uninstall 2.6. Your entire system runs on that and as you saw it will uninstall much of your system (Source)

Reinstalled Linux Mint again and this time I installed python 2.7 (I need it!) using altinstall but still I came up with the no mintMenu + OAFIID:GNOME_mintMenu issue and can't get it back.

The console also prompts with No module named gtk, so there is some kind of incompatibility with python 2.7, moreover, python 2.7 wasn't be pushed out through the Update Manager or added to the repos until Maverick (Source)

Browsing through the net people provide different solutions:
  • 1.sudo synaptic install python-gnome2-desktop. Source
    2. papibe says that several versions can coexist together. You just need to point to the one you want to use following these steps
    3. Creating a symbolic link between /usr/bin/pyhon2.6 and /usr/bin/python is also mentioned here.
    4. Install Python-gnomeapplet (Source, posts 83 and 84 from Joe)

Maybe they work for you, they haven't for me, surely because I am doing something wrong because if I type python on the console it says I have version 2.7 :shock:
onionparadise, please, how did you uninstall python 2.7?

Thanks very much in advance.
croquet

Post by croquet »

I fixed the issue without having to uninstall Python2.7

The problem was that Python2.6 (default system one) was installed in /usr/bin/ and despite the symbolic links were properly pointing to it, the python bash command was not.
Python2.7 was installed at /usr/local/bin and the bash command python was pointing to this one.

Checking the path I found this:

Code: Select all

caterina@Pies ~ $ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
As you can see, first it looks in /usr/local/bin (where Python2.7 is installed) and then it looks in /usr/bin (where Python2.6 is installed)
So the solution was to do the following:

Code: Select all

mv /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/python27link
Now, If I type python in a terminal it launches Python2.6 whereas if I type python27link it launches Python2.7
Of course, after fixing this mess I could get mintMenu back yuju!!

Maybe there's a more elegant way to solve this, but since none of the suggestions given worked for me, this was the best I could come up with.
Hope it does too for someone stuck in the same situation as I was.
sijtom0703

Post by sijtom0703 »

Hi,

I have similar problem as croquet. I had to install python 2.7.1 for installing pyaxelws download accelerator and after that mintMenu stopped working.
When i try to add i get the below error
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_mintMenu".

I have python 2.6 installed in /usr/bin

ls -latr python*
python2.6
python -> python2.6

and 2.7 in /usr/local/bin
ls -latr python*

python2.7
python
python2.7-config

When i type python i am getting 2.7.1 version. How to fix this issue and restore mintMenu in panel :( without reinstalling mint
MSXManiac

Post by MSXManiac »

with me i resolve reading content in this link

http://axezn.tk/2011/08/14/debian-wheez ... -mintmenu/

Return to “Beginner Questions”