Virtualbox Help SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Virtualbox Help SOLVED

Post by kachilda »

I downloaded and installed virtualbox and went to use it in Mint 5.0.rc2 and got this message.

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Please install the virtualbox-ose-modules package for your kernel, e.g. virtualbox-ose-modules-generic..
VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

I'm a rookie at the command line and not sure what packages it needs any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Virtualbox Help

Post by 67GTA »

Open a terminal and become root

Code: Select all

su
. Run

gedit /etc/modules
Then add

vboxdrv
and save the file. Reboot and see if that works. Sometimes the kernel module (vboxdrv) doesn't get loaded correctly.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

Thanks. I'll give it a try and post back. koodles on the latest mint distro i look forward to the final release. (Take your time). :D
I do have another question though I was wondering where i mite be able to find and download a tool bar like the one in the latest dream linux release. I found one for windows at http://www.crystalxp.net/ and would like to be able to incorporate it into my linux distro Thanks again.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Avant seems to be pretty popular. It is in the repos. Just open the package manager and look for it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

avant is way cool thanks. Mint is not letting me in as su i will log out and log back in to a terminal tomrow and try it again. if no luck there are other options. vm is not a necessity for me just a conveanance to keep me out o windows and in linux as much as posible. windows slow linux fast lifes good.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Just use sudo.

sudo gedit /etc/modules
and

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
When you use sudo, it gives you super-user powers to edit files. Sudo only requires your user password. What error did you get when trying to become su? If you type su in a terminal, it will ask for your root password, but the password is not shown while your typing it.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

You have to

sudo su
or else you get

su: Authentication failure
I'll write you a quick little virtualbox howto:
-Download and install the latest Ubuntu x86 Virtualbox .deb (sounds like you have already)
http://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enf ... y_i386.deb
-Now open the Mint Menu and go to Administration>Users and Groups
-Click Unlock and type in your password
-Click Manage Groups
-Scroll down to the bottom and double-click vboxusers
-Add yourself and root to the group
-reboot

Now virtualbox will work, but you'll notice that USB doesn't work right.

Here's how to fix USB:
-open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
-That should open up a text editor, locate this:

#
	# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
	#
	#mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
	#domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
	#ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
	#mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
-And uncomment those last 4 lines, so it should look like:

#
	# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
	#
	mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
	domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
	ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
	mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
-Save and close the text editor
-Reboot

And everything should work
Last edited by piratesmack on Thu May 29, 2008 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

Dude yo rock. Virtual box is now working perfect. Thanks

Moderator should I continue to ask my newbie questions in this thread or post them each as a knew topic under the umbrella of newbie questions. Thanks.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It would be best to make a new post if it about something other than virtualbox.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

kachilda wrote:Dude yo rock. Virtual box is now working perfect. Thanks

Moderator should I continue to ask my newbie questions in this thread or post them each as a knew topic under the umbrella of newbie questions. Thanks.

Whoops, just realized that the changes to /etc/fstab and /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh were unnecessary :oops:

So basically all you have to do is:
-Add yourself to the group, vboxusers, to get write permissions to /dev/vboxdrv
-Uncomment those 4 lines in /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
-Reboot

And Virtualbox + USB will work fine :)

Sorry about those unnecessary changes
kachilda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kachilda »

No prob. This is a test install to see how to best partition my drive between Windows and Linux Mint; so any mistakes are all part of the learning curve. The idea is to see how many programs games and applications I really need to run in Windows and how many can be replaced with Linux. So far i see a couple of games, two or three Bible programs, and a Lambda Lexicon that came packaged with Cubase LE for (windows). :| The Bible programs I can run in Windows through Virtual box but the other two items I mentioned are best run in native Windows. Perhaps there's a workaround for my Lambda Lexicon I'll post that question in the appropriate place under hardware. So no worry s and thanks again for the help. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”