want to override password protection on 2nd HD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

want to override password protection on 2nd HD

Post by bth73 »

I'm about a 2 month old newbee, a Computer Slayer, I can kill a windows computer in less than one day. Haven't killed Ubuntu 7.04, or Mint 4.0 yet. So I think Linux ROCKS. Build my own and built this one about 4-5 years ago.
Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939
Amd 64 3000+
1gig ram
ATI 9600 All in Wonder
Turtle Beach 7.1 Santa Cruise
2 hard drives (ide)
It NEVER worked for more than one day on a purchased XP home Os. Installed Ubuntu 7.04 and Bang, It works fine.

So, how can I eliminate the password protection on my 2nd hard drive? At one point when I had Ubuntu, it wasn't there, but now it is and it's just a unnecessary and annoying step. (I already eliminated the log on screen.)
Thanks, The computer Slayer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
Husse

Re: want to override password protection on 2nd HD

Post by Husse »

Well you have to tell us a bit more.
What password protection?
Do you have something of value on the disk? If not you could just remove the partitions, format and start over
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Well, I have a 200gig Hd , fat 32, sitting in the slave position on the second IDE cable along with my master 320gig that's formated in ext3.
When I boot up, it doesn't appear on the desktop. So, I have to go into "computer" and click on it and then I'm asked for my password.
This HD was in the computer when I installed Mint. I can pull it out and replace with another and it works the same way IE: I have to enter password each time I boot up.
I remember that when I first installed Ubuntu 7.04 the second Hd would just be on the desktop all the time.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
Husse

Post by Husse »

That's something quite different - the disk is not password protected but owned by root and you have to sudo to get access
It's probably not present in fstab and manual mounting needs root
So you need to

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
or in KDE

kdesu kate /etc/fstab
and add

/dev/sda2		 /media/sda2     vfat    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
Of course you change sda2 to whatever you have, but I guess you have sda2
You also have to make a folder in media with the same name as your disk

sudo mkdir /media/sda2
//Edit/
I sincerely apologize - should not write this stuff past midnight
Of course you have sdb1 not sda2
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

I'm really new to this terminal stuff, so please take it slow and have patience with me. here is what I got with the first line:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/hda1 :
UUID=d9412e5f-8feb-4613-ac61-9ed97f3cea19 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# Entry for /dev/hda5 :
UUID=23e81049-a6cf-4815-98b9-2935fc8aa357 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
can you take me step by step from here? Trying not to slay this install cause it's the best this comp. has run since I built it, like 4-5 years ago. Windows XP wouldn't wouldn't run for more than a hour or two before crashing and locking-up. Got so disgusted with the comp. I built before this one that I parted it out. Couldn't figure out Linux at the time.
THANKS, THE COMPUTER SLAYER
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Oh yea, I do know in the format tool that the 2nd is called hdb1
thanks
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

This file tells me that the mount point for the /dev/hda1 partition is root ("/") and that it is format type ext3.
There are no other ext3 type formated partitions (like hda2, hda3) with their associated mount points listed in fstab. The only other moint point is the swap partition, which is hda5.
You said that the second disk was hdb1 and I would expect that, since the first is hda1.
I don't however see hdb1 listed in fstab with a type fat32 format, do hdb1 won't mount at boot.
Now the how to fix this will be better explained by Husse or perhaps Fred (whom I think has some good must reading on the forum). While you wait take a look at this post by Fred:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=11447
Fred

Post by Fred »

bth73,

Open a terminal and type:

sudo mkdir /media/hdb1

Open /etc/fstab for editing.

Just above this line: # Entry for /dev/hda5 :
Make a hole and paste what I have below in

# Entry for /dev/hdb1
/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0

Save and close the file. Reboot and lets see where you are now. Note that there is only one return in what I have above. Don't confuse word wrap with returns.

Fred
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Thanks, I think I did it correct, will have to wait a few more minutes for a dvd to finish encoding.
This old dog is learning new tricks.
I've been around comp's. since the beginning. Worked at Olson Electronics in the late 70's where we sold one of the first computer kits - can't remember the name of it now. Then in the early 80's had a Commodore 64, wrote a few micro small programs, but basic was so lame back then, I just left it alone. Then in 1996 went to work for Boeing, where everybody was using Boeing computers to go online and had to use them for pulling up drawings. Then, around 2000 2001, a friend gave me an old business computer with win95 on it. That one worked for a few months and would barely get on line. Then my brother gave me his old 400mhz tower with ME on it and that was the longest lasting, most reliable computer I've had until this one. I've built several for friends that worked fine, but the last two I built for myself never worked for more than a week or two before having to rewrite the hard drive. Totally skipped 3.1 and all that old stuff. I have a neighbor that works for MS in their server side and I'm turning him onto linux - he likes it.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Oh, read my progress bar wrong, got a long while before the transcoding finishes. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks,
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
Fred

Post by Fred »

bth73,

No problem, unless one of us made a mistake, or I got confused again..:-) Everything should be ok.

Fred
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Thanks Fred, It worked perfect.
I'm so happy with all this Linux Mint I'm about to explode, and I don't even like computers that much. Music and music videos are my main use for computers. Had this thing running for about three weeks solid Ripping music videos with Ubuntu 7.04 without any problems until I started screwing around with it trying to get a PPP dialer to work and then did the upgrade to 7.10 and screwed it up. But, that was OK, as I wanted to try some other distributions anyway. Glad I found Mint 4.0, about a week after its release. Sure makes the multimedia a lot easier.

FASTEST DIAL-UP I'VE EVER SEEN!
I use Nocharge.com in Seattle.
If its free its for me.
Thanks again,
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
Fred

Post by Fred »

I am glad it worked out for you. :-)

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”