Help!!!!! No sound ...no device/gstreamer not inst

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andy Mack

Re: Help!!!!! No sound ...no device/gstreamer not inst

Post by Andy Mack »

Open a terminal and type or paste in this

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Enter your password

type or paste this line to the bottom of the document

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop

Once done press Ctrl and O then enter to save
Press Ctrl and X to close, then reboot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

I found two ways around this for mine which as I say is almost identical to mine, since that didn't work,

Create a new document in you home directory,
copy and paste

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo m-a update
sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a a-i alsa

save it as whatever you like

Rightclick the document, select the permission's tab, tick the box which says Execute: Allow executing file as a program, then close

2xClick the doc and click run in terminal

It will start compiling, when asked to continue press Y enter.

It can seem as if it is stuck but it justs takes a little time.

Once it's done reboot and voila, sound.

If not, f**k knows lol
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

Pleased your sound now works.

Dvd's, my first thought is no idea at all. Silly question but when you put a disc in is it being mounted? Open nautilis, rightclick on cd-rom and check it says unmount, if not then mount it and should be good to watch videos. Check /etc/fstab to see if your cd/dvd drive is there too.
Other than that i'm at a complete blank as mine just mount and play as normal. I'm a newbie to linux too so it would be worthwhile opening a new topic concerning this to get everyone else involved.

Andy

Return to “Beginner Questions”