Strange grub menu? Strike enter twice

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steve9199

Strange grub menu? Strike enter twice

Post by steve9199 »

Total Noob here, so if I use the wrong terminology...be gentle?

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260 with a 1.8 GHz processor, 512 MB ram and 160 GB HDD. I repartitioned the drive with the Mint Live CD and am using the front half with Win XP Pro SP2 and Mint on the 2nd half of the drive.

Here's my issue. (well...issues). When the Dell spash screen goes away, I get a Mint spalsh screen with a strange looking box on the upper left. Here's what it looks like:

/----pstk---------------rstk----\
: : : : :
: 0: 5ff6e. a: : :
: 1: 5ff4a. a: : :
: 2: 2c208. 4: : :
: 3: 147. 9: 0: ffffffff. 5:
: 4: a. 1: 1: 1462. 5:
:----------------------------------:
: err 8 :
: ip 23a4: 1a7 :
\-----------------------------------?

It waits for me to strike a key before giving a coutdown, and when I strike it again, I get the GRUB menu allowing me to select XP or Mint. I thought it was a little weird so I'm posting the question here hoping for some assistance.

Also....is there a way to get Mint to load a little faster? My XP is up and serviceable (as much as any M$ product CAN be) in a matter of a few seconds, whereas Mint takes a couple of minutes to load.

Many thanks in advance for any help. I refuse to "Upgrade" to Vista (or as I call it...Windows ME-Mark II) and since M$ is stopping XP support in June, I'd like some options.

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Strange grub menu? Strike enter twice

Post by Husse »

I have another person with this problem. I changed the subject line a bit and will try to answer you both at the same time. As you can use Mint it's not all that urgent. I guess it has something to do with Dell's recovery partition
The other topic
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 03&p=69563
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

Husse wrote:I have another person with this problem. I changed the subject line a bit and will try to answer you both at the same time. As you can use Mint it's not all that urgent. I guess it has something to do with Dell's recovery partition
The other topic
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 03&p=69563

OK...I read your solution, but I'm in need of a 'walk through" on HOW to edit. I'm not very well versed in Linux but I can follow directions...LOL! If anyone can give me a quick tutorial, I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks....Steve
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm way to tired for that now, but this bumps it for myself so I'll do it tomorrow
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - I could not find this topic again until now :roll:
Well I think it's enough to comment out message.mint
Look at the other topic that I linked to this. I just added a post which I think clarifies what to do
On a side note
No XP in the world, at least not in this universe, boots in a matter of a few seconds....

Return to “Beginner Questions”