What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What music player do you want as default for Linux Mint 5.0

AmaroK
22%
Songbird
7%
Banshee
9%
Exaile
23%
Rhythmbox
17%
Other
22%

Total votes: 239

Re: What audio player you prefer as default for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Post by Guest »

molom wrote:Can they please tell me what they use, I always like to hear about apps that I haven't heard of.
I use Quod Libet, "the best gnome app for heavy use". :-D
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

But people obviously like Amarok or it wouldn't be the current default, and Exaile is in many respects a Gnome copy of Amarok.
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:But people obviously like Amarok or it wouldn't be the current default, and Exaile is in many respects a Gnome copy of Amarok.
Yes, exaile is a copy, since its gtk it wouldn't be a big deal if Exaile replaces amaroK. We can save plenty of space because there won't be a use for KDE libs and Brasero or something can be installed by default for Mint to use the free space in the CD edition.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

molom wrote:
belovedmonster wrote:But people obviously like Amarok or it wouldn't be the current default, and Exaile is in many respects a Gnome copy of Amarok.
Yes, exaile is a copy, since its gtk it wouldn't be a big deal if Exaile replaces amaroK. We can save plenty of space because there won't be a use for KDE libs and Brasero or something can be installed by default for Mint to use the free space in the CD edition.
I agree, even if I would prefer Rhythmbox! ;-)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

One thing at the back of mind though is what about Amarok 2? That will be out by the time Mint 5 is ready to go. Shouldn't we wait until that is out before we decide we don't want Amarok anymore?
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

belovedmonster wrote:One thing at the back of mind though is what about Amarok 2? That will be out by the time Mint 5 is ready to go. Shouldn't we wait until that is out before we decide we don't want Amarok anymore?
Let's NOT! :evil:
Let's put Amarok 2 in the <K>DE-edition of Linux Mint instead!!! :)
Last edited by Zwopper on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
CREA DIEM!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I'll give it a go and see if it <K>ixx! 8) :wink:
CREA DIEM!

molom

Post by molom »

Zwopper wrote:I'll give it a go and see if it <K>ixx! 8) :wink:
You really li<K>e that use of '<K>'s. ;)
Seems like exaile is really good. I might as well try it out. I'm using songbird 0.3 at the moment. Songbird 0.4 came out recently.

Cheers,
molom
molom

Post by molom »

I will also like people to look at this post and vote for it as well ( http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8113 ) . The post/poll is about an app called Miro. I appreciate all the posts you people have made on this poll.

Cheers, (I hope everyone has a Happy New Year)
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Kynan wrote:Go Exaile! :D i love it, simple, elegant just like mint, works fine and doesn't crash randomly, lovely bunch of plugins and best of all fits nicely with the gnome gtk theme.. what more do you need?

i have made a mint file for the latest version 0.2.11 replacing 0.2.10 (the new plugins are very useful)
link to mint file: http://www.box.net/shared/v0nzbc49bj
I tried your Mint file and it wouldnt play my songs I had ripped in iTunes (no DRM but in M4a format), where as the official Mint software portal version played them fine. Can you address this?

Also, is there a way to clear the search box after searching your collection? Every other app I've ever used has a button to clear it but Exaile seems to make me have to click in the box, do ctrl + A, then Ctrl + X just to get a blank search box. Not good. What am I missing here?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My two and a half year old son loves Amarok! That's good enough for me!
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Kynan wrote:for the second question there is a little broom icon down the bottom right corner at the end of the track progress bar, this is the clear button. I usually just click the X on the tab when i'm done with a playlist, it has mostly the same effect (you will see what i mean).
I'm not at my Linux machine at the moment so I cant test this. But are we talking about the same thing?

There are two search bars. One on the left for searching through your collection and one of the bottom right for searching through the tracks in the play list. What I'm saying is there is no broom icon for the search bar on the left. Unless you are telling me that the one broom clears both search fields? This was the one GUI thing that bugged me. I couldn't see a way to clear the left hand side search bar.

It's little GUI things like this which really bug me. Dont get me started on way the Rhythm Box frames work.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

PeteR_V wrote:well thing is AmaroK is the most popular music player for linux today
Maybe, and then? No other player has the right to compete with it? :roll:
PeteR_V wrote:In other words what i see here is no arguments just emotions, Exaile or whatever cant be better as AmaroK
Better or not it does not matter, if it is just equal then there is no interest in using KDE libs instead of the Gnome libs in a Gnome desktop. :D
PeteR_V wrote:which is undeniable slower as AmaroK.
? Exaile slower than AmaroK? Not on my computer in any case. :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Kynan, this only goes to highlight the wider problem here, which is that all this is very subjective. I personally think not being able to clear the search bar a horrendous oversight which bugs me both in principle and in the way I'd have to deal with it. I mean, why bother adding a clear button for one search bar but not the other? Either a clear button is a needed feature or not, they cant have it both ways. My gut instinct tells me they couldn't think of a way to get the button in a good place for the left hand side search bar so they said to hell with it. Bad bad GUI!
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Kynan wrote:both the search bars for the collection and for the playlist both dont have a clear button because its not needed its just like searching for somthing in google.
Sorry but that is just wrong wrong wrong! :P

When you do a search for a band lets say The Beatles all the other mp3s in your collection disappear. The only way to then be able to browse your other mp3s is to remove the search term. In every other mp3 application I've ever used there is a button to return to seeing all your mp3s, but in Exaile there is not. This means every single time I want to get back to my entire collection after filtering it down from a search I need to move my mouse up to the search bar, highlight the text and then press the delete key. That is just insanely clunky GUI, and that's why every mp3 playing software I've ever used on Windows and Linux has a search clear button.

Now it might well be that for some people this doesn't bother them, or they don't even notice it. But I'm the kinda person who wants to smack programmers around the head and ask them what the hell they were thinking if the GUI isnt up to standard. So this is a big annoyance for me. :twisted: :twisted:
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

I'm just glad whatever you guys decide to use as the default media player, that I can remove it if need be to reload Amarok.

It would seem like a shame to remove a media app as developed as Amarok just because it doesn't fit into the 'Gnome' way of thinking and replace it with Exaile or Songbird which are highly lacking in features, although Songbird probably has the features, they're just buried in there somewhere.
Apparently everyone who voted for Exaile as default doesn't own an iPod. If you do what was your magic to get python-gpod installed on Gutsy?

Crap, I couldn't even find the required lib to play cd's with Exaile........are we serious about this over Amarok? /scratches head in confusion. :oops:
molom

Post by molom »

I am totally against AmaroK on Mint after Clem's blog. Apparently AmaroK is 144MB and Rhythmbox is 12.2MB. Imagine what we can do with that space on the CD. We can have Brasero and Miro 1.0 as default and who knows what else we can have in the Mint CD, probably even Compiz. Seems like that Clem wants Rhythmbox instead of Songbird and Exaile. The blog is on here ( http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=121 ).

Cheers,
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Arg!!! I've been using Rhythmbox all morning and I'm finding myself actually starting to like it, quite alot. Especially after turning off the additional browsing frames so it becomes very much like iTunes.

Maybe I will have to change my alliance from Exaile to Rhythmbox?

One thing that is for sure, after reading the blog theres no way we can justify Amarok. As good as it might be it's taking up a stupidly huge amount of the CD.
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:Arg!!! I've been using Rhythmbox all morning and I'm finding myself actually starting to like it, quite alot. Especially after turning off the additional browsing frames so it becomes very much like iTunes.

Maybe I will have to change my alliance from Exaile to Rhythmbox?

One thing that is for sure, after reading the blog theres no way we can justify Amarok. As good as it might be it's taking up a stupidly huge amount of the CD.
I thought you would save 40-60 mb if you take away AmaroK, but 130Mb!!! is crazy. I had to get a bucket of water and pour it on my face to wake me up after a long night during new years to believe it(I was so tired when I looked at the blog so I thought I was dreaming :D). I hope Clem makes the decision to take amaroK away. But I am totally happy with amaroK being the default app for the Mint KDE edition though.

Cheers,
molom
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Hmm....well apt-get install python-cddb worked for the cd issue, not sure why when I searched for it in Synaptic I never found it but anyway.

As for the ipod situation, the lib is python-gpod that Exaile complains about and installing it doesn't seem to be an option, there's a listing for it in Synaptic but it says it's not going to be installed.
Really not worth the effort as Amarok works right out of the box without jumping through hoops but, if Amarok is hogging that much space then by all means dump it.
We can always install it after the fact.
I would really rather put whatever else on CD that's more important, we're all free to choose our own Media player anyway.

Maybe some camera/photo handling software could be included, there's Gimp but I mean something to work with a digital camera.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”