Mint 6 is Fantastic!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 6 is Fantastic!

Post by ElEdwards »

I've been a Mint user but have also hopped from one distro to another for the past two years.....and typically end up coming back to Mint. When I learned that 6 was ready and available, I had to try it.... and I am completely delighted thus far. :)
I'm using a Compaq Presario 2170us with 512M and a 40Gig HDD. It has an older ATI Radeon card and as Ubuntu has progressed, the performance of this card has been worse and worse.....but Mint 6 works with it perfectly! I've had no trouble getting my Desktop Cube working.... just a few clicks and no editing of files. :)

Typically, one of the first things I do after installing a distro is edit xorg.conf to turn off the tapping on my Touchpad...but the Mouse prefs in Mint 6 has a tab for that which made it ultra simple to turn off the tapping.

As is my usual Mint experience, I had no configuration to do for my Linksys WPC54G wireless card... it just works.

I haven't had time yet to see how the audio performance is but I will soon. I do commercial voice-overs and depend on the recording capabilities (using Audacity) so this is a big deal for me.

Love it!!
El
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint 6 is Fantastic!

Post by Husse »

Thank you :oops:
You may find sound a bit troublesome as Pulseaudio has it's quirks.
In that case I'd recommend you to only use alsa which should work fine
Penguinosity

Post by Penguinosity »

I agree.
Mint 6 is fantastic.

I've been "playing around" with it for the past 2 days, trying different hardware,
ripping and burning music and videos, editing photos, and sundry other tasks.

Mint 6 has jumped through all the hoops without a misstep, burp, or sneeze.
It has giggled all the way. :D
brian36

Post by brian36 »

Hi
This is my first real try at Mint. At last I have a Linux version that allows me to 'sleep'. A push of the power on button brings it back to life. I still need to use Vista for some of my Win-specific apps like Ulead Video Studio. Kino is not up to it.
Very impressed!
BrianXGY
Key apps: OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, gmfsk (Ham radio), gcompris and childsplay (for the grandkids!), Brasero
Equip: MaxData Favorit 3000, 6300 dual-core, 4GB ram, HP D1400 printer
Norwegian Man

Post by Norwegian Man »

Hi. I cant agree more. Mint 6 is great. Im a "windows" person, meening i know and im used to it. I have for a long time tried different Linux versjons because i think its interesting. The only one i have got to work propperly is Linux Mint :D

And the last days i have used it more than "windows" because its just great. I also think this is the way to do it so that people can change from "windows". If Linux is going to be more "for all people" this is the distro i will recomend.

Keep up the good work. I love this :D :D
Penguinosity

Post by Penguinosity »

Still enjoying Mint 6 and looking forward to Mint 7. :D
SteveHoffmanUK

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

I started in Linux with Ubuntu, then, disenchanted, went to PCLinuxOS and am now with Mint, and I agree with the title of this thread - fantastic. Everything just works, with minimum of fuss...the only glitches have been of my doing, not Mint's :oops:

Unlike Penquinosity, though, I am not looking forward to Mint 7. The reason I dropped Ubuntu was what I'd call version regression; that is, things that worked in the original version I installed stopped working in a later one. One by one, stuff stopped working: very frustrating! When my wireless conked out, I decided I'd had it. PCLinuxOS filled the bill nicely for me - all the codecs installed, everything nicely packaged, helpful forum. But then PCLinuxOS seems to have lost its way, and I stopped being able to get good help on the forum.

So I came to Mint reluctantly, and, frankly, I still fear this six-monthly new version policy, based on Ubuntu because of the possibility of version regression. I tried Mint 5 LTS live CD, but my wireless didn't work, whereas it did on the Mint 6 live CD. So I'm with Mint 6 but worried about new versions. Can anyone reassure me about this? Probably not - I'll just have to take my chances.

But for now - what a great distro! :D
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi, I agree that version regression is very pants. And yes, unfortunately mint inherits quite a few of those listed on ubuntu's release notes. Personally I don't see what everyone's problem is. I personally will always upgrade on the 6 monthly cycle, because I always want to try new stuff (heck I even tried a jaunty-->gloria "upgrade" because I was too impatient for the RC). However this won't be the best option for everyone. If you're happy with felicia, and gloria has issues, just don't upgrade (but you might want to enable the backports repo). You wouldn't dream of trying to upgrade every 6 months in windows, and there's no reason why you have to in linux. Felicia will be supported for a full 18 months, that's 3 release cycles! If Gloria doesn't work for you, just ignore it and try out Hellena, or even Indigo (not actual release names, but you get the idea) as Indigo would be an LTS release, so is (supposedly) more robust. In general for ubuntu I've found the spring releases to be solid and dependable (jaunty is an exception, though I haven't had any problems yet) with the autumn releases chock full of new stuff.
FrogDemon

Post by FrogDemon »

SteveHoffmanUK wrote:But then PCLinuxOS seems to have lost its way, and I stopped being able to get good help on the forum.
I agree with every thing said about PCLinuxOS. I was a faithful user for many years. But PCLinuxOS has definitely lost their way. When Gettinther left, I decided it was time to leave also.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I was able to get Mint 6 64-bit GNOME to run on my hardware when just about everything else was a no-go. I have been using Mint since 3.0 "Cassandra." Whilst PCLinuxOS is a very good distro, Linux Mint seems to push all the right buttons just a bit better for my needs.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
SteveHoffmanUK

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

emorrp1 wrote: I personally will always upgrade on the 6 monthly cycle ... However this won't be the best option for everyone. If you're happy with felicia, and gloria has issues, just don't upgrade (but you might want to enable the backports repo).
Thanks for the advice emorrp1, you're right - there are early-adopters and fearful-upgraders, and Ubuntu has made me the latter. :lol: So I'll stick fiercely to fantastic Felicia and let you cutting-edge guys get bloodied. Now all I have to do is figure out how to "enable the backports repo", but I'll search for that. I do like the occasional challenge!
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

To the person worried about Mint 7- if you don't want to take the chance, then just stick with 6. As a previous poster pointed out you don't have to upgrade. Felicia has support for 18 months. Some of like cutting edge- others don't. Linux is about freedom of choice after all :) And yes, Mint 6 is excellent. I'm running it on my computer and testing Gloria on Live CD :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”