Request for HP laptop and desktop owners

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Request for HP laptop and desktop owners

Post by 67GTA »

If you have a HP laptop or PC with Vista pre-installed, please do the following:

After a normal boot run

Code: Select all

dmesg
in a terminal and save it as dmesg1. Then boot again and add this to your boot options

acpi_osi="Linux"
Then run dmesg again and save it as dmesg2. Please compare any differences between the files and post them here. An easy way to compare is to use

diff
in a terminal.

diff <path_to_dmesg1> <path_to_dmesg2>
Also check the output before and after of these commands to see if anything changes:

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points

cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature

cat /proc/acpi/fan/FAN/state
It seems that HP codes the DSDT to detect Vista, VistaSP1, VistaSP2, etc & Linux and treats them differently when detected. This is coded automatically in Vista, but for Linux, the acpi_osi="Linux" option has to be added to the boot options. By adding this to my HP laptop and desktop with Opensuse, acpi thermal is populated where it wasn't before. I'm curious to see if it has the same effects in Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Husse

Re: Request for HP laptop and desktop owners

Post by Husse »

This does not work - everything is a diff
The numbers are different - I get a total diff - sorry
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

This may be Opensuse specific. I've tried it so far on PCLinuxOS, Mint, Ubuntu, and Mepis. It only has the effects I described in Opensuse on my end. If this is the case, I am going to try and dig into the guts to find out why.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Husse

Post by Husse »

To do the comparison in Mint you must first get rid of the time markings in the beginning of each line and I don't know how to do that automatically
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It seems I had this bass akwards. Ubuntu/Mint already report the correct acpi settings for me, and passing the acpi_osi="Linux" argument was messing things up. Opensuse doesn't do this by default, and has to have the argument at boot to enable the correct acpi settings.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”