Reading ext2/ext3 drives in windows.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: Reading ext2/ext3 drives in windows.

Post by proxima_centauri »

I use it to read my ext3 drive in windows, but I wouldn't trust it to write to or copy from ext3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I don't know how true it is, but I read somewhere recently that it was estimated that 30-40% of Windows installations had some form of infection, trojan/virus/worm/etc. If this is even partly true then the biggest problem I see with this ext2/3 fs-driver for Windows would be related to security. According to the web page, with this driver installed, Windows doesn't recognize Linux permissions and can write to any files, including root files.

That's scary. Security, out the window with one simple download and an install click. Doesn't sound like a solution I would be interested in.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well, I think I would like it better if Windows couldn't even see my Linux install at all. Then there would be less chance of it being able to tamper with anything important.

If you want to share data partitions, I think that shared NTFS partitions would be the safer way to go.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ed,

All your points have some validity. But if we are taking it all the way.... The best way to deal with the Windows risk is to leave Windows on the cd, in the box, and on the book shelf.

Even that carries some risk. With the high price of Microsoft Windows and the fact that burglars aren't know for their high IQs, you might still be risking a break-in. :-)

Fred

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”