Panel effected by change in screen resolution [Kinda solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Panel effected by change in screen resolution [Kinda solved]

Post by red-e-made »

OK, so, there's this game I play that will automatically change my screen resolution from 1280x800 to 640x400. It's easy enough to switch back, of course, but while the desktop wallpaper and icons are back at the right resolution, the part of the wallpaper that I can see through the panel (which is 25% transparent) is still set at the previous resolution. This goes away when I restart, but I'd rather be able to fix this without having to do that ... and I like having a semi-transparent panel. Picky, I know ;) Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Panel effected by change in screen resolution

Post by Husse »

the part of the wallpaper that I can see through the panel
Does this mean that the rest of the wallpaper has the right resolution?
What about hiding and unhiding the panel?
I've had some odd looks lately that was fixed with a similar solution
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote:
the part of the wallpaper that I can see through the panel
Does this mean that the rest of the wallpaper has the right resolution?
What about hiding and unhiding the panel?
I've had some odd looks lately that was fixed with a similar solution
Hiding and unhiding has no effect apart from seeing a row of whatever I have on the panel, repeated multiple times. Here is a section of my desktop, after I've auto-hidden the panel:
panel.png
The wallpaper is the right resolution - but the panel remains unchanging. This is a section of my desktop, after a change in screen resolution, and a return to the previous resolution. Notice how the top of the girl's head appears in the panel, yet is still a couple centimeters from it.:
Screenshot.png
Another example - this is supposed to be one continuous circle, yet the two arcs don't match up at all.:
Screenshot-1.png
The odd thing is, when I move the panel from the top to the bottom, the image of the panel remains frozen at the top, and copies itself on the bottom.

As I said, this is all cleared up by rebooting. But I'd like to be able to get around rebooting, and to keep my semi-transparent panel like the picky dude I am.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In the top image the icons for mintUpdate and wifi are repeated over and over
Something of that kind in the bottom image as well
Do you have the background set to tiled?
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote:In the top image the icons for mintUpdate and wifi are repeated over and over
Something of that kind in the bottom image as well
Do you have the background set to tiled?
No - Like I said, this is what the panel looks like when I auto-hide it. It doesn't go away, it just does that repeating thing.
My wallpaper is set to "Fill screen". But honestly, Zoom, Centered, Tiled, whatever - makes no difference. The same thing happens.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll mark this as unsolved and come back later, I'm beginning to get tired now - soon midnight
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Thanks in advance, Husse.

If it helps, I have a new theory.

After the screen resolution has been changed, and then changed back, I noticed that - like I said - pulling the panel down from the top to the bottom creates two panels. This is incorrect - in reality, the panel has indeed moved to the bottom, but an image of the panel is burned into the top. I think the problem has more to do with my display than the panel, in other words.

Thoughts?
Husse

Post by Husse »

No it's not "burned in" to the top literally but you may be on to something - seems that the desktop is not refreshed = redrawn in the right manner - can actually be a driver problem so you may ponder installing a better video driver
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote:you may ponder installing a better video driver
Ah, I see. This is what I have at the moment:

Code: Select all

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400M GS (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30cc
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
	Memory at c6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at c4000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
	I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
What driver would you recommend I get?
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is someone else with some strange problem and a 8400 (taken from memory) so there may be something going on...
Anyway get the latest Envy from
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
For Elyssa it's Envy NG for all other Mint it's the legacy version
As always I can't guarantee what will happen..... but it's about the only thing I can think of
One more thing though - do you have any "out of the ordinary" application installed?
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote:There is someone else with some strange problem and a 8400 (taken from memory) so there may be something going on...
Anyway get the latest Envy from
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
For Elyssa it's Envy NG for all other Mint it's the legacy version
As always I can't guarantee what will happen..... but it's about the only thing I can think of
One more thing though - do you have any "out of the ordinary" application installed?
Thanks very much, Husse.

I don't believe I have anything out of the ordinary installed. The game I play which changes the screen resolution is operated through the latest version of Wine. Don't know if that helps.

In any event, I will try out the link yuo provided and report back.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

OK this is me reporting back.

I already have Envy NG, and had run it to automatically install the nvidia drivers for my card when I installed Elyssa. Just for fun, I ran this operation again, and it did in fact find 3 new drivers. However, this was not able to resolve the issue I had with glitches that come up due to changes in screen resolution. In the course of my Google journeys, I learned that my problem may have something to do with my refresh rate - which is locked at 50 Hz - and that this can be resolved through xorg.conf and so forth.

Instead, I simply deleted the configuration file for my game, re-opened the game, and allowed the game to run in a floating window, as opposed to filling the entire screen. Changing the game settings prevented a change in screen resolution, and thus avoided any problems pertaining to it.

So I guess you could say that the problem is fixed - not by solving it, but by being able to avoid it.
Husse

Re: Panel effected by change in screen resolution [Kinda solved]

Post by Husse »

hmm
I forgot
If you don't have twin view with nvidia there's a little hack
Edit your xorg.conf

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and add a line so that "Section Device" looks something like

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Option		"DynamicTwinView"	"False"
EndSection
This option makes it possible for me to increase vertical refresh from 50 to 75 Hz
When you mention it I remember this kind o problem can be tied to refresh rates
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Panel effected by change in screen resolution [Kinda solved]

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote:hmm
I forgot
If you don't have twin view with nvidia there's a little hack
Edit your xorg.conf

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and add a line so that "Section Device" looks something like

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Option		"DynamicTwinView"	"False"
EndSection
This option makes it possible for me to increase vertical refresh from 50 to 75 Hz
When you mention it I remember this kind o problem can be tied to refresh rates
Thanks, Husse. I took your advice and was able to increase the refresh rate to 60 Hz. I don't anticipate encountering this problem again, but at least I learned a little bit more about the system.

Return to “MATE”