No access to drives

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

No access to drives

Post by emgy »

I have just installed Elyssa today on my son's computer.
Everything worked fine, and I have access to several FAT32 partitions with no problem.
I created an account for my son, as an administrator, but when I logged out, then he logged back in, he did not have access to the FAT32 partitions. The message is "The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "DISK2PART1"."
However, if the computer is restarted and he logs in, all drives are accessible to him.
At this point, he logged out and I logged in, and found that I did not have access to all the drives.
A shutdown and a restart resolves this again.
With Daryna, we often logged out, then logged back in as another user, and had no problems.
With Elyssa, it seems necessary to shut down and restart every time we want to change users.

Is there any way to resolve this?

Thanks,
Emgy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: No access to drives

Post by Husse »

I have a hunch this could be related to the security alert here
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =0&t=13459
Have you taken the steps in that post, or have a ver 5.1?
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emgy »

The version of Elyssa I downloaded was R1 on 20 June 2008, so I think that it should already have the upgrade for mintAssistant to version 2.5.

A bit more background to the problem:
I log into Mint.
There are no mounted drives on the desktop.(Mint Desktop is configured to display mounted volumes).
I select "Computer" on the desktop and click one of the drives.
It mounts and displays on the desktop.
The contents of the drive can be accessed with no problem.
I then logout.
My son logs in, and the drive which I had accessed is visible on his desktop.
If he attempts to access this drive, he gets the message:
"The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "DISK2PART1"."

However, if he right-clicks the drive and unmounts it (he has to supply his password to do so), he can then go to "Computer" on the desktop, click the drive again, and he has full access to the drive.

It appears that on logging off, the drive is remaining mounted with the permissions of the user who mounted it. The next user to login cannot access the drive until it is unmounted, then remounted with his own permissions.

Emgy
Husse

Post by Husse »

You are absolutely right (I think :))
You've found a bug :) which I'll add to the bug topic
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emgy »

Thanks for confirming my problem.
I've worked round it for now by mounting my most used shared drive with fstab.
It's now visible on the desktop after login and available for all users .

Emgy

Return to “MATE”