Restricted Drivers automatically turn off

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sushimatt

Restricted Drivers automatically turn off

Post by Sushimatt »

Hi there...

I am a real newbie in what linux is about, i have installed ubuntu before and now i got a mint elyssa distro installed.
Now, i could install it finally with working wifi capabilities by using madwifi and the restricted drivers HAL.

the problem is that every time my linux boots, i find myself without the wifi again because both the HAL and the Atheros support on restricted drivers turn into "not currently in use" so I have to unclick and deactivate them, and reactivate them again, so that linux can start finding the wireless connections.

any idea? how can i fix this? is there a possiblity to change it and make it read only?
cheers, Matt

p.s. sorry about the ignorance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Restricted Drivers automatically turn off

Post by 67GTA »

The drivers loaded by the driver manager might not work with your card.(sometimes it has to guess) Post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci
from a terminal.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Restricted Drivers automatically turn off

Post by 67GTA »

There has been a lot of trouble with wireless in the 2.6.24 kernel. I would suggest using ndiswrapper. The driver is already in your filesystem. If your not afraid of using the command line, it's not too bad. First go to the drivers manager and disable both ath_pci and ath_hal drivers. Then remove and blacklist the ath_pci driver so it won't be loaded at boot. In a terminal run

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
add

blacklist ath_pci
at the end of the file and save it. Then run

sudo modprobe -r ath_pci
Then open the "Windows Wireless Drivers" tool:Menu>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers. When it asks for a driver navigate to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/drivers/Atheros_AR5007eg/net5211.inf. Tell it to install. Then in a terminal

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
to load the module and

sudo gedit /etc/modules
and add

ndiswrapper
to the end of the file and save it so ndiswrapper module will be loaded at boot. After a reboot, it should be working(crosses his fingers). :D Just click on the networkmanager icon and select your connection.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Networking”