Broadcom 4318 Howto for Elyssa **Update for Mint 8**

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arron

Broadcom 4318 Howto for Elyssa **Update for Mint 8**

Post by Arron »

*** Edited 28 Dec 08 for some shorter steps, and to not need my package file.

This is my howto for my Broadcom wireless in my laptop with Elyssa. I hope this helps others, feel free to comment, some of this has been borrowed from other posts and howto's out there, I do not need to plagerize, this is from my notes from several sites.

This is my card, its in my Compaq R4000 series laptop:

Code: Select all

arron@pump-chump ~ $ lspci | grep Broadcom
03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
I use the ndiswrapper driver because I find it a lot faster, picks up more networks and overall much more stable than the fwcutter driver option. To do this you need the driver package file. I can post it on here if im allowed to (any input here admins?).

*** EDIT
Due to so many differences in the same model Broadcom hardware, I would HIGHLY recommend you downloading your windows wifi drivers, and save them to a usb stick or something and install them with Mint Menu - Administration - Windows wireless Drivers. If all went well, it will say hardware drivers present, as well remember your looking for a ".inf" file to use.

You can try this package if you like, but like i said, YMMV.

cd ~
wget http://roberthallam.com/wmp54gs.tgz
tar -xzf wmp54gs.tgz
Now it should be unpacked in your home dir.

Now you need to install the ndis driver, use the "Windows Wireless Drivers" gui in the Control Center, or if you want it quick run:

ndiswrapper -i wirelessdriver/WMP54GS.inf

Now we need to load the ndiswrapper module in a specific order, to do so we will need to create a startup script:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/wirelessfix.sh

Post these lines into that file:

#!/bin/bash

modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44
Almost there, now we need to make this executable, and set it to run at startup:

cd /etc/init.d/ && sudo chmod 755 wirelessfix.sh

sudo update-rc.d wirelessfix.sh defaults
*** EDIT - A simpler way is to add these line for startup, than above is to add these lines to the end of your /etc/init.d/rc.local file

sudo nano /etc/init.d/rc.local

modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44
This should work now, try to restart your pc, or if you made the script option, run that script you just made:

sudo /etc/init.d/wirelessfix.sh
You should be up and running. If your wireless light comes on, then off, your in the same boat as me. I had to do a couple more small items to connect...

WICD Option:

The problem with my setup was the gnome network manager. I never was to crazy on this from day one, and with Mint XFCE I got turned onto wicd. wicd replaces the gnome network manager managing your connection. I find it much more responsive, can run scripts and overall much more dynamic and stable.

To install this app you need to add a couple lines your sources list for apt:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Add these couple lines to the end of it:

## Repository for Wicd
deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
And now install wicd, after a update (you will need to connect to the web for this, use a hard wire or download the package file seperatly):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wicd
*** Edited - To do this off line:

If you need to do this off line, download WICD from here:

http://apt.wicd.net/
Then install the package:

sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.5.1_all.deb
If you get any package errors, you may need to manually remove gnome network manager first:

sudo aptitude purge network-manager
And bingo, if all went well it should now be installed.

*** EDIT, new version of WICD starts on its own, the following is not needed, but ill keep it here for reference...
To add the tray icon go to Control Center -> Sessions, then the Startup programs tab, unlock it then add:

Name: WICD Tray Icon
Command: /opt/wicd/tray.py
Comment: This will startup the WICD network manager.
Now you will need to reboot due to gnome network manager still holding some permissions.

After reboot you should see a icon in the bottom left and be ready to rock and roll!

Good luck, and please post your experiences.

Arron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Broadcom 4318 Howto for Elyssa

Post by Husse »

We're getting more and more howtos by the day
I think there are a couple about 4318 already :)
Your contribution is however welcome
Arron

Post by Arron »

There are a couple of other howto's on here that didn't work for me. My biggest problem was the gnome network manager that i found no documentation on being a issue, as well some of the howto's are more hardy orientated with the need for ndiswrapper to be installed (comes in the box with Elyssa :-). So I just tried to simplify it as much as possible, and tried it out a couple times on a fresh install to make sure it was the simplest way i could.

Hope it helps others! :mrgreen:
simting

Post by simting »

Just running Elyssa off Live CD and after following this wonderful how-to my wireless is now behaving itself. Wireless has always been the No. 1 problem for me with Mint, and now I feel confident enough to do a full install.

Thank you! :D

sim
Arron

Post by Arron »

Im glad this helped someone! Welcome to Mint, I have grown very fond of it so far,

I will try to make a script with the needed files later tonight so this can be done easier (include the wicd package and driver files).

What is the chances to get the generic drivers installed with Mint (not the Dell specific ones)?
Arron

Post by Arron »

Ok I was able to make a script to do it all. This tarball contains both the drivers and the wicd package in it.

All you need to do is:

tar -xvzf Mint-Broadcom.tar.gz
cd Mint-Broadcom/
./Install
This script *should* do it all. I tested it some on my laptop, I would love some more input from others.

Arron

*NOTE* msg me for the file. Can I get an admins permission to add a file that is 600 kb?
bruce64

Post by bruce64 »

My two cents - I did a fresh install (Elyssa) on a Dell Inspiron 6000, wireless card Broadcom 4318 Airforce 54g.
After install I did the following:
**NOTE I had to update/reboot my machine twice after install. Important to reboot after each update.
1. updated my machine
2. reboot
3. run Hardware drivers
4. activate b43 and fetch drivers and install.
5. reboot

My wireless was up and running.
Arron

Post by Arron »

Im glad it works for you. The differences between the hardware drivers dialog which uses fwcutter and the ndiswrapper is fairly well documented around the web. If the fwcutter does everything you need then you need not worry. For others who may need more out of the wifi, ndiswrapper is much mroe effecient.
Arron

Post by Arron »

I have gotten some interest in the script. I have sent it out to a number of people in hopes it helps. I hope to hear back soon from them ( those who are trying it, thanks for any input! ).

Arron
Jim68

Post by Jim68 »

Arron,

Hooray! Your HOWTO post worked great for me. Now, I've seen code on how to auto logon using WPA, but how would I get that into the boot sequence after your script which kicks the network on?
Arron

Post by Arron »

It is on the end of my howto, if you have wicd installed, add with Control Center -> Sessions, then the Startup programs tab, unlock it then add:

Name: WICD Tray Icon
Command: /opt/wicd/tray.py
Comment: This will startup the WICD network manager.
You need to reboot for gnome network manager to release permissions. If wicd was all setup for your secure network and automatically connect, you should be in business!

Im glad to hear it worked well for you, i hear it has for a few now.

Arron
plowna

Post by plowna »

Hi, I too have a 14E4:4318 broadcom chipset. (Dell Inspiron 1300) I'm running Elyssa R1, and I have had a hell of a time getting

a) the right driver for it (ndiswrapper & the hardy ssb bug ... which you've addressed here I believe) I've actually stumbled upon a newer version of bcmwl5.sys/inf (from 09/2007) which worked great once the ssb bug was sorted. Got it from the HP website somewhere.

b) it to connect to my WPA2 network here. There is a good thread on Ubuntu forums (broadcom wireless without the fluff or something like that) which helps a lot with configuration for wpa_supplicant. It still didn't work for me but another thread I found elaborated on one key point: if the pairwise= and group= options don't work on CCMP, try TKIP (this worked for me).

The final stumbling block is dhclient. I'm not sure if its something to do with dhclient, the kernel or the driver/ndiswrapper but if I don't run sudo dhclient wlan0 just after wpa_supplicant has connected and exchanged keys etc then it just won't pick up an IP. Static IP's won't work either, but I think thats my router's fault.

There's a sticky thread over at the wireless/networking Ubuntu forums encouraging broadcom chipset users (4311, 4312, 4320 & 4322) to try out a new kernel with an updated driver from Broadcom themselves. Unfortunately from perusing the forums it would appear only to work on those chipsets (no lucky breaks for us 4318's).

Thankfully this setup is ok now that it is working as I don't have to reboot very often (thanks Clem!!). Reconnecting wireless is still a case of finding a hapless goat/virgin/whatever to sacrifice and doing a merry dance while howling at the moon. While it is connected though it is rock solid.

Anyone know anything about the dhclient not picking up an IP thing?
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

Arron wrote:
This script *should* do it all. I tested it some on my laptop, I would love some more input from others.

Arron

*NOTE* msg me for the file.
I'd like to get a copy of the file to see if I can get my card to work with Elyssa. I've sent you a PM and an email with my email address. Is there any other way to contact you to request the file?
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

I've managed to download wicd_1.5.1_all.deb but when I try to install it with the deb installer, I get an error message saying that the program conflicts with the existing network manager. So, how do I dump the existing network manager? I'm running the gnome version of Elyssa.
plowna

Post by plowna »

Normally apt should automatically remove gnome-network-manager for you, but if it hasn't done it thats the package you need to remove.
Arron

Post by Arron »

Ahh yes, I updated this problem for my script. but not the post,

first line removes network manager and other non required apps, second installs wicd.

That will remove network manager and all its files and stuff. I like wicd a lot better over gnome network manager which i find flakey at best.
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

Arron wrote:Ahh yes, I updated this problem for my script. but not the post,

first line removes network manager and other non required apps, second installs wicd.

That will remove network manager and all its files and stuff. I like wicd a lot better over gnome network manager which i find flakey at best.
I have the .deb file on the desktop. How do I modify the last command to find the file on the desktop?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have the .deb file on the desktop. How do I modify the last command to find the file on the desktop?
You don't - you learn how to change the location in the terminal...
If you right click on the Desktop > Open terminal for some reason it opens in your home/your_username folder so you do

cd Desktop
and then go on to execute
or you could just double click it I suppose :)
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

Husse wrote:
You don't - you learn how to change the location in the terminal...
If you right click on the Desktop > Open terminal for some reason it opens in your home/your_username folder so you do

cd Desktop
and then go on to execute
or you could just double click it I suppose :)
Thanks. Now that you mention it, since I have removed the gnome network manager, the deb installer should be able to do the job. I should have realized that. However, learning to change locations in terminal isn't a bad thing to do, either. Thanks.
Arron

Post by Arron »

ahhh the joys of bash (the command line). It is very powerful to use, and can be fun to script things with it if your into computers a lot. For the average or new to linux user it can be somewhat overwhelming until you get your feet wet.

Anyhow, how did you make out? Is the wifi working well for you?

plowna: Do you have a copy of this newer driver i could try out?

Return to “Networking”