Solution for Atheros AR 5006 / 5007 Cards

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

Re: Solution for Atheros AR 5006 / 5007 Cards

Post by jokersloose »

Fixed Followed the directions @ http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-5007e ... tform.html

Thanks.

I tried this and got an error at the patch part.
john@john-laptop:~/Desktop$ patch -p0 < madwifi-ng-0933.ar2425.20071130.i386.patch
can't find file to patch at input line 4
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -Naur old-hal/ah.h hal/ah.h
|--- old-hal/ah.h 2007-12-03 16:16:56.000000000 -0800
|+++ hal/ah.h 2007-12-03 16:16:01.000000000 -0800
File to patch: madwifi-ng-0933.ar2425.20071130.i386.patch
patching file madwifi-ng-0933.ar2425.20071130.i386.patch
Hunk #1 FAILED at 33.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 416.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 441.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 488.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 674.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 711.
6 out of 6 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file madwifi-ng-0933.ar2425.20071130.i386.patch.rej
can't find file to patch at input line 93
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
|diff -Naur old-hal/public/i386-elf.hal.o.uu hal/public/i386-elf.hal.o.uu
|--- old-hal/public/i386-elf.hal.o.uu 2007-12-03 16:17:16.000000000 -0800
|+++ hal/public/i386-elf.hal.o.uu 2007-12-03 16:15:17.000000000 -0800
File to patch:
As you can see it gave me an wrong switch error. So when it asked me for which file I want to patch I entered the file name. And I got hunk errors.

Any ideas? This is my sons laptop and he HATES Vista. And likes the way Mint runs on my desktop, and logic says it should run much getter on his laptop seeing as it's a dual core w/2 gig of RAM and such. So just need to get the wireless up and running.

Thanks for any help.
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Post by guest »

Move the patch into the untar'd snap folder. then cd into it and run the patch command.

Thnx to op. worked on my hardy lappy. Someone should post this over at ubuntu forums too :)
MrGriggs

Post by MrGriggs »

I believe this may have already been solved but I'll still say how I done it.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-5007e ... tform.html
But in case this link goes down anytime soon i will paste what it says. I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS.

"For those, who have an Atheros 5007EG chipset and can’t get it working with ndiswrapper, I have this guide from polish ubuntuforum. This is the only solution that worked on my computer (Toshiba SAT-A210-128), and my brothers computer.

This guide only works on i386 platforms, so if you’re running an x64 linux, then you’ve to try again with ndiswrapper or wait for a new solution from atheros and madwifi.

1. Open you terminal

2. Get this version of madwifi:

wget -c http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/ma ... 007.tar.gz

3. Untar the downloaded package:

tar xvf madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007.tar.gz

4. Get inside the unpacked directory:

cd madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007

5. If you haven’t compiled anything from source before on your linux then you propably need the build essential package:

sudo apt-get update && sudo aptitude install build-essential

6. Now you can build your madwifi and install the modules:
make

sudo make install
"Sometimes i had to restart here to make it work"
sudo modprobe ath_pci
sudo modprobe wlan_scan_sta

The last 2 commands can cause some complications on some systems. If they do check your System >> Administration >> Restricted Drivers Manager and disable atheros here. Then try again.

7. Now restart your computer and you should be able to see any aviable networks in your Network Manager."
jimwelchok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimwelchok »

The questions is will the new version of madwifi be in a future version soon?
Ubuntu 8.04 is scheduled for April 24, 2008. :?: Mint (??)

I am using (2weeks) a Compaq F756NR with a 5007 card.
The other problem is I can't get graphics except with vesa driver, and therefore can't use VGA connector?
kozakery

Post by kozakery »

Problem:
Despite installed madwifi no WLAN map is recognized.
Solution:
If after you input:

Code:
lspci | grep Atheros
you get,
Quote:

Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

or

Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

In reality you have the AR5007.

Proceed:
Prepare compilation by down-loading the compiler tools and the necessary Kernel headers:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

If an Internet connection is not possible, the necessary deb packages can be downloaded from another machine
and copied onto a CD. For installation see package installation DEB

Un-install old drivers.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge madwifi-tools
and the system driver in the restricted manager deactivate.

If you are still using ndiswrapper, then first the drivers must be removed and also ndiswrapper:

Code:
sudo rmmod -f ndiswrapper
sudo rm -r /etc/ndiswrapper/*
sudo apt-get --purge remove ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
sudo rm -r /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper

Now a snapshot version of the madwifi driver is downloaded, which already repairs the bug:
Code:
wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/ma ... 007.tar.gz

unpack:

Code:
tar zxf madwifi-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz

change directory:

Code:
cd madwifi-nr*

Now we can compile and install:

Code:
sudo make install

If everything was implemented without error message, the module can be loaded:

Code:
sudo modprobe ath_pci

We now reboot the system.

After the restart we can test whether everything functioned:

Code:
ifconfig
iwconfig
sudo iwlist scan

and if you want to connect to a nearby open wireless router then type:
sudo dhclient

Note:
most of the above was loosely translated from the original post on the German Ubuntu forum
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/160673/

and it worked for my Aspire 3680 laptop running Linux Mint 5 beta 48
dr3amX

Post by dr3amX »

chazsheen wrote:After messing around with the ath5k MadWifi stuff when I had Elyssa installed I decided to go another route after upgrading to Felicia RC1. I've got the 5007 pain in the butt card in my laptop and decided to give the ath9k drivers a shot this time around. It went 100x times smoother, it's easier to get installed, and my network tools properly displays my card information now.

Grab them from here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dow ... essdrivers

And just follow the directions. I updated my linux-headers(sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic) before I ran "make" just to be safe. After that it's as easy as: make, sudo make install, sudo make unload, sudo make load, and viola! working wireless. Didn't even need to restart networking.
Thank you very much :D It works like a charm.
Using Atheros AR5BXB6 on Acer Aspire 5570Z and Linux Mint 6 Felicia.
Just download drivers, unpack, make, sudo make install, sudo make unload, sudo make load and restart. :wink:
triwave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by triwave »

chazsheen wrote:After messing around with the ath5k MadWifi stuff when I had Elyssa installed I decided to go another route after upgrading to Felicia RC1. I've got the 5007 pain in the butt card in my laptop and decided to give the ath9k drivers a shot this time around. It went 100x times smoother, it's easier to get installed, and my network tools properly displays my card information now.
I have the 5006X (=AR5413) and was wondering if anybody had luck with that? chazsheen didn't mention if WPA works or not. I have re-built the madwifi drivers and dorked around for hours, best I can do is get my card to show up, scan networks and display signal strenth/ssid in nm-applet , but I have not been able to get WPA working. That's a deal breaker for me and still trying to solve...
triwave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by triwave »

I was never able to get either of these ideas to work ... spent a lot of time and suffered a lot of frustration ... it's really a shame some stuff in Linux is still so cryptic and difficult, because much of the user experience otherwise is just fantastic. I put up with a fair it but it makes me realize the barrier to entry to timid or less experienced users is a real thing. What good is it if your wireless or printer or something so key won't work right?

Anyway, when ubuntu 9.04 came out I downloaded it and was anxious to see if my wireless would work - and it did! Yipee, but having used Mint for a while now ubuntu looked to blaahh and I didn't want to install it. I waited for Gloria to come out and first thing I checked on the live CD was wireless - it worked too!

I don't know how I had it working in Mint 5 and then broke it and never recovered, but it works fine in Mint 7 Gloria.

Thanks again for a great distro I love to use everyday!!

Return to “Networking”