NFS in Daryna KDE Beta 044

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

NFS in Daryna KDE Beta 044

Post by lanrun »

In the KDE Control center I try to share a folder with NFS. But the KDE control center says error: could not read NFS configuration file.
Is something missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: NFS in Daryna KDE Beta 044

Post by Husse »

Is nfs installed?
Sorry for a probably stupid question, but it's at least a starting point
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

NFS-kernel-server wasn't installed.
Before I have experienced that Linux suggests to install missing packages when one try to do something that involves the missing packages.
Now I must try again!

Trying to configure NFS after installing nfs-kernel-server. I can't get it working:

On cp1 (Mint Daryna KDE Beta 044):
We find settings for sharing files under KDE Contol Center\Internet&Network\File Sharing. I Have enabled Advanced sharing. Under shared folders I have added the folders I want to share with cp2: /media/sda5/Bilder/ (on a NTFS partition) and chosen NFS as the method to do so.
In my /etc/exports at cp1 I can see the following line: /media/sda5/Bilder/ *(async,all_squash). The * would donate public access as I understands it.

On cp2 (Mint daryna Main):
I have created a folder, /felles1/Bilder where I want to mount the shared folder from cp1.
In a terminal I now run sudo mount xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/media/sda5/Bilder/ /felles1/Bilder.
I then get the feedback: mount.nfs: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/media/sda5/Bilder/ failed, reason given by server: Permission denied.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = cp1's IP-address.

In a terminal on cp1 I run sudo exportfs -a, and then got exportfs: Warning: /media/sda5/Bilder does not support NFS export.

Why do I get permission denied?

When I look at System Services in the KDE Control Center, I can see services concerning NFS:
portmap is defined to start at boot, but under the status column it says it is not running.
nfs-kernel-server and nfs-common are the same as portmap.

I must mention that I tried to reboot my pc without that having an effect on this problem.

More experimentation:
trying to share /media/sda5/Bilder didn't work for me, sda5 is a NTFS partition. Instead I now have tried to share /home/rune/Music/ - naturally /home is a ext3 partition. And this works! On my cp2 I can mount the shared folder from cp1.
I don't know if this has something to do with NTFS or ext3, or if the shared folder must be in the /home partition.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

As advanced file sharing is enabled, it shouldn't be necessary that the folders/files one want to share is located in ones home partition.

After some googling around I found a subject form Nov 2005 in the Ubuntu forums:
Re: Sharing a NTFS partition between two linux boxes through NFS?
The Ubuntu kernel unfortunately doesn't support NFS exports of FUSE based file systems. You may submit an Ubuntu kernel bug report. Till fixed, you can find the solution here: http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#nfs

Following the link to the ntfs-3g project:
Can I export NTFS via NFS?
Yes. But to do so, you need to read the FUSE README.NFS file and use the FUSE kernel module from the FUSE package because the mainstream kernels don't support NFS exporting of FUSE file systems.

I don't know if this is something that should have been fixed in todays mint-kernel, but it seems to me it isn't.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I suppose you have Windows somewhere? Else it would be best to only use a Linux file system.
I did not know this limitation, and it may be a good idea to fix it in the future
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Yes, I have Windows XP and Daryna KDE in a dual boot setup on my cp1. Thats why I use NTFS. As KDE version has problems writing files named somthing with æ, ø and å to external USB HDD, and some compatibility problems between Linux and my canon printer when printing photos, I still have to use windows. The problem with the USB HDD could be solved by shifting to Daryna Main (Gnome), but I like KDE better.

Return to “Networking”