PC locks up when connecting with gnomeppp

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

PC locks up when connecting with gnomeppp

Post by 67GTA »

I installed Mint on an older Compaq desktop with 128 MB ram. I know it should have more, but after tweaking, it runs pretty good. It belongs to my father-in-law. He was still running Windows 2000, and using floppy disks when it has two cd drives :D . He has a dial up connection at home. I installed gnomeppp, and set up everything with his info. When I try to connect I hear the dialer. There are no errors in the log. Right when you think it will connect it will hard freeze the whole computer. I have to manually shut it down. The connection is working fine on the Windows partition. My only thought is that the modem is using too much resources and causing the freeze. It is an Agere Systems LTwinmodem. After installing the restricted modules, the restricted manager picked up the modem. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Husse

Re: PC locks up when connecting with gnomeppp

Post by Husse »

You get it working with 128 MB?? How did you install? Needs a bit of RAM :)
Is this of any help?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=2
Note that this is a much older version of Ubuntu, but still...
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I'm not sure why it worked. It was slower than !@#$. I figured it would run out of RAM with the live cd/installer running. I had it running pretty fast except for open office. I wouldn't have even tried it, but my father-in-law was so impressed with Mint on my PC, he wanted me to try it. I found out that the ltmodem drivers are not being maintained anymore for the 2.6 kernel. You have to use the Martian driver that requires you to run

Code: Select all

martian_modem --dameon
in a terminal each time you want to connect. I was getting a lot of errors while trying to compile it also. I figured that would be too much for him. I am downloading Ubuntu Dapper for him now. The ltmodem drivers are already included in the restricted modules. All you have to do is tell gnome-ppp to query the modem, and configure wvdial. I guess I can make it look like Mint :D . If he ever decides to jump into the 21st century, I'll install Mint for him.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I just installed Dapper Drake on the same PC with the live cd. It is a Compaq Presario 5000, 750MHz AMD Duron, 64MB RAM(originally), now has 128MB RAM, 20GB HD, 8MB Nvidia TNT. I was doing some digging on the subject and found out that any Ubuntu/Debian based distro will run on only 128MB RAM. It says 256MB is "recommended" (but not required) on the Ubuntu website. It is running pretty good after disabling the virtual consoles, trimming the boot process, and trimming the start up processes. It was only using around 100MB RAM with normal usage. Just for giggles I made the swap partition 1GB. It was only using about 10% of that. The only downside is opening multiple tabs in Firefox (requires a lot of fuel). I could probably tweak it more, but it is running almost as fast as WIN 2000. My father-in-law won't know the difference.

Return to “Networking”