dialup gnome-ppp

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeymouse
Level 2
Level 2

dialup gnome-ppp

Post by mikeymouse »

Has anyone managed to get gnome-ppp working in Linux mint 4.0 or Ubuntu 7.1
I have never had a problem until Ubuntu 7.1 , now it only partially logs in and never completes its mission (g).
I have been using Ubuntu since the start and never a problem previously. I run Xandros, Linux mint, PClinux 2007.
If anyone has any information it would be appreciated.
thanks
mikeymouse
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: dialup gnome-ppp

Post by MALsPa »

I'm using it right now with Mint 4.0, but everything is not smooth. I think that it's using wvdial because I don't see the same type of messages in the log file that I see when using gnome-ppp with Ubuntu Dapper. I don't really understand what's going on. Also, with Mint 4.0, when I connect with gnome-ppp I get a "Connecting" window that says "Authenticating..." and this window does not go away once I'm connected. Other than that, gnome-ppp does work here for connecting to the internet via dial-up in Mint 4.0.

I previously used the approach at the page linked below to dial out with Mint 4.0 and it works fine. (See the section "Configuring a Dial-Up Connection using Networking option.") That's how I was able to download and install gnome-ppp.

http://www.debianadmin.com/setting-up-d ... buntu.html
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It is a bug in Gutsy Gnome-ppp. Uninstall gnome-ppp. Download this patched deb for Gutsy 32bit http://launchpadlibrarian.net/10692409/ ... 1_i386.deb

Install the patched version. Run "sudo wvdialconf" in a terminal, and gnome-ppp should connect and dock. I got mine working by using the patch.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Thanks very, very much, 67GTA!!!

I'll add here that after downloading the .deb, I simply clicked on its icon and the "Package Installer" (gdebi-gtk) opened up, making things quite simple. Also that instead of running "sudo wvdialconf" I simply clicked on GNOME PPP in the menu and gnome-ppp opened up and I was able to connect -- everything worked as it should! Thanks again!

Return to “Networking”