Windows shared printer on Linux

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Windows shared printer on Linux

Post by JAK »

ingrato wrote:I have a HP LaserJet 1012 on WinXP desktop and it is currently being shared via "File and Printer sharing". It is added to my wife's laptop which is also running WinXP but on my laptop which is running Linux Mint =) cannot seem to find it using the Cassandra->Settings->Printing utility.

I've tried "New Printer" and selecting "Windows Printer via Samba" which I would assume be similar to it being shared from a WinXP box, since Samba is basically SMB. It finds my workgroup, but when I double click on my workgroup, the arrow next to the workgroup disappears and it doesn't expand any list.

Please let me know if there's anything that I need to configure prior to attempting to adding a WinXP shared printer on Linux.

Thank you in advance.
Is your Linux box using the same workgroup name as your Windows Box? When you select the "Network Printer" radio button, then select "Windows Printer (SMB)" from the dropdown list, you should be able to select the "Host" from the next dropdown list below that. It should list the machine name of the box with the shared printer. When you select the machine name from the list it will ask for a username and password, then you need to type the name of the printer as shared on the Windows box.

This should be all straight forward and work without a problem. I've never seen an easier printer setup routine on Linux than Mint has.

Check your settings against my suggestions and write back. Good Luck!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

ingrato wrote:I figured out a solution, I don't know why it doesn't list the printer being shared when you double click on the Workgroup, but you can type it in manually.

This is what I did, hope it's useful for others...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. went to my desktop to view the "Share name" of the printer, found it to be LaserJet1012
2. on laptop with Linux Mint Cassandra, went to Cassandra->Settings->Printing
3. On "Server Settings" selected "Show printers shared by other systems" (don't know if this is necessary).
4. clicked on "New Printer" . . . . . . .
Again, hope this is helpful for some other people.
I'm glad you got your printer installed, but I think you took the long road to get there. This gives me an idea to come up with a little tutorial. I'll work on that in the morning.

BTW- Welcome to the LinuxMInt community! :)
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

HowTo share a Windows shared printer

Post by JAK »

Here's a little tutorial I made to install a printer on a Windows share:

http://www.freedrive.com/public/10894/H ... uxMint.pdf
dirtydog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dirtydog »

JAK wrote:
ingrato wrote:I have a HP LaserJet 1012 on WinXP desktop and it is currently being shared via "File and Printer sharing". It is added to my wife's laptop which is also running WinXP but on my laptop which is running Linux Mint =) cannot seem to find it using the Cassandra->Settings->Printing utility.

I've tried "New Printer" and selecting "Windows Printer via Samba" which I would assume be similar to it being shared from a WinXP box, since Samba is basically SMB. It finds my workgroup, but when I double click on my workgroup, the arrow next to the workgroup disappears and it doesn't expand any list.

Please let me know if there's anything that I need to configure prior to attempting to adding a WinXP shared printer on Linux.

Thank you in advance.
Is your Linux box using the same workgroup name as your Windows Box? When you select the "Network Printer" radio button, then select "Windows Printer (SMB)" from the dropdown list, you should be able to select the "Host" from the next dropdown list below that. It should list the machine name of the box with the shared printer. When you select the machine name from the list it will ask for a username and password, then you need to type the name of the printer as shared on the Windows box.

This should be all straight forward and work without a problem. I've never seen an easier printer setup routine on Linux than Mint has.

Check your settings against my suggestions and write back. Good Luck!
That was the easiest network printer I have ever set-up including windows. Thanks for info :wink:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-- Albert Einstein
ratcat

Post by ratcat »

I have 4 Laptops on the network 2 Vista, one XP, and one MInt Gloria. There are also 3 desktops one Mint and 2 XP. I found that the two Linux machines on my network would resist being set up with the two Vista machines running. Shutting those off made everything go smoothly. The shared printer is on an XP Box. Worked for me. Just a little FYI I guess. I certainly can't explain ti. :)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”