HP LaserJet 1010 Unsupported Personaility: PCL error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

HP LaserJet 1010 Unsupported Personaility: PCL error

Post by NiksaVel »

Hi,

I've recently installed the Elyssa KDE beta.. and I am sooooo happy with it... just wanted to note here though that I've started experiencing problems with my printing...

I am printing to a SMB shared printer HP LaserJet 1010 and every 5-10 prints I get a

Code: Select all

Unsupported Personality: PCL

error... everything I try to print after that just keeps repeating the same error. I've managed to find on the HP forums people having similar problems with windows systems... it's supposedly caused by PCL cache getting full... whatever that means :) The solution is to turn off the printer and turn it back on... it does work for the next 5-10 prints...

Other windows comps here both the directly connected one and the xp that connects to the shared printer have no problems whatsoever which leads me to the conclusion that there is a problem with the new driver that came with elyssa.... can any1 help me out here a bit?

I'm installing the latest hplip right now as described here: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 51&t=10910

Will report back if it resolves the problem....

any1 post here if you have some ideas pls...

N
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HP LaserJet 1010 Unsupported Personaility: PCL error

Post by NiksaVel »

Well.. I don't think this will have any impact... since I can't setup a shared printer this way.... :/

Trying with the non simplyfied driver (the one that is not recommended in the regular install)...

N
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HP LaserJet 1010 Unsupported Personaility: PCL error

Post by NiksaVel »

Here is what I found @ http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg ... erJet_1010
Edited Notes

For basic printing functionality use the HPIJS driver . For advanced functionality such as printer status and maintenance features, use the HPLIP driver (which includes HPIJS).

With hpijs 0.9.x HP introduces support for FastRaster products on Linux! There is a 600x1200 path that we can not support due to IP issues, but other than the one print mode, as of the release of hpijs 0.9.x, the HP LaserJet 1010 is now supported.

Cheap, compact desktop laser printer, foldable tray for 150 sheets, A4/Letter/Legal, up to 12 pages/min.

HP classifies this printer as "host-based" whereas they claim the HP LaserJet 1015 to understand PCL 5e. But the HP LaserJet 1010 and 1012 seem to understand a stripped-down (raster-graphics only, no text) variant of PCL 5e.

Rick Richardson (rickr at mn dot rr dot com), author of the "foo2zjs" driver (driver for the HP LaserJet 1000/1005), has examined the output of the Windows driver for this printer and found out that the language looks like PJL + PCL 6 (see report on the HP forum on OpenPrinting).

Adam (madaman at web dot de) reports on the HP forum on OpenPrinting that the HP LaserJet 1010 works for him with all raster drivers for the HP LaserJet 1100 ("hpijs", "ljet4", "lj4dith", "gimp-print"). Adam tried also PCL-6 drivers ("lj5gray"/"lj5mono", "pxlmono") but without success.

Unfortunately, the new LaserJet 1010/1012 series seems not to be absolutely compatible with older HP printers or it has a firmware bug. Sometimes it happens that the printer stops working and reports the error "Unsupported Personality: PCL". It only continues working when one kills the job and power-cycles the printer.

The problem of the "Unsupported Personality: PCL" was finally solved by Carl Michal (michal at physics dot ubc dot ca). By analyzing the output of the Windows driver he found out that after the BeginSession operator in the beginning of a PCL 6 job a special sequence of 8 bytes has to be added. He added it by a filter to the output of GhostScript's "pxlmono" driver and from then on the printer worked.

I installed the driver provided there... hopefully it will work now

What compatible Printer

Post by 38400 »

I will be installing Linux Mint very soon and want to buy a new printer. Can anyone please help me and advise where I can get a list of compatible printers?
Many thanks,

Return to “Printers & Scanners”