Sound just went away !!!!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Sound just went away !!!!

Post by Husse »

Sorry... no more linux checking .... as I've done since 1997
Welcome back when Vista f-cks up :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by helios »

Some people would rather be owned in comfort than struggle a bit within freedom...

But I do have a bit of sympathy for his problem. I have this problem as well. On board sound with ensonique sound card. Worked fine with first .44 kde install but an update hosed sound. Sound works ootb with every other distro I've tried tonight so I am not going to horse around with taking one card out or disabling the onboard in the bios. Sometimes, if I fool around and switch bck and forth from alsa to oss in the control center I will get it back until I have to restart X then it's another 3-5 days without sound again....then for no apparent reason, the sound kicks in...until x is restarted. This really needs to be fixed....I am seeing reports of this throughout the forums with dead ends and unanswered posts so I know others have either learned to live with it or moved on to something that works better. I'm just stumped why the kmix won't hold my settings. I change it to use the onboard sound chip and restarting X brings it back to the ensonique card again. Switching to another partition/distro I find that it stays put where I place it and the sound works with either sound device I choose, the onboard or the pci. I am guessing that this may be part of the problem but again, I am just guessing.

helios
Husse

Post by Husse »

If this is a bug in Daryna KDE beta it's to late for that, but it need to be studied for the next release
And restarting X breaks sound....
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by helios »

I can only imagine the frustration involved in being a coder and trying to run down problems like this. It takes a special person indeed.

It is beginning to look like it's something in kmix and most likely some odd combination of hardware and software with my specific machine. Long story short, I took the life of kmix and replaced it with aumix and it works just fine. I installed Mint on probably 30 computers last month and every one had a "courtesy return" to check the status of the machines. Logs show alsa without one crash and all are using kmix.

go figure.

thanks for putting up with my late replys.

h
Wintergreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wintergreen »

Learned to live with it in my case (Bianca).

I'm not sure if it was an update that messed it up for me, or the fact that I began frequenting YouTube via Firefox, but I lost my sound too about two months ago. I mention YT because it was quite common for YouTube to completely freeze Firefox and my PC both. Bit better recently, but it still does occur.

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 mainboard here, with ALC888 soundchip. I tried an ALC888 driver with no luck.

My sound, since then has largely been "gone" at bootup. Occasionally, however, for some strange reason it reappears, so I'm using Amarok again tonight.

Thanks for the tip about aumix, helios--I just installed the gfx version, and hopefully this has now fixed it.

I did also note that with both the Daryna live CD and Ubuntu 7.10 live CD the soundchip was detected and it worked properly each time (haven't yet installed either).

wintergreen

Return to “Hardware Support”