atheros wireless network SOLUTION *UPDATED*

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

atheros wireless network SOLUTION *UPDATED*

Post by xnostradamusx »

ok well i got some spare time so i want to contribute with the community so this is how i was able to make my atheros wireless AR5007* (AR2425 chips) work with ubuntu 8.04/interpid and mint 5 and mint 6 rc1 so i think this can be applied also with other atheros cards if your lucky

so here we go:

Preparing

first open up a terminal and copy paste this

Code: Select all

apt-get install build-essential
this will download the build

essentials packages for compiling after it finish close the terminal

Download The Driver

then we need to download the needed files so http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/ma ... 105.tar.gz

Remove Old Modules

now to be sure you encounter no errors remove the old modules

First, set all your MadWifi devices down: type this in terminal

sudo ifconfig ath0 down
sudo ifconfig wifi0 down
#Repeat these 2 ifconfig lines for every MadWifi device you have (ath1,
etc)

next we need to extract the file, right click on the file and click extract here, now a folder of your downloaded file will appear right click to that then choose

run in terminal now your inside the folder time to copy paste this

sudo cd scripts
./madwifi-unload
./find-madwifi-modules.sh $(uname -r)
cd ..
You should then be asked if you are sure that you want to remove the old modules.

now everything is ready we can build and install the madwifi drivers

Building And Installing

assuming your still in the madwifi folder just type this

sudo make 
sudo make install
it will install your needed files to enable your wireless.

Loading The Driver

To Load The Driver just type This in Terminal

sudo modprobe ath_pci
after this you should restart your computer.

then when your logged in again right click on nm applet and there should be two options which is checked by default now

enabled networking and enabled wireless.

and by left clicking nm applet again you should see the available wireless connection now and connecting to it is as simple as using windows

if you dont see this just type this again in the terminal

sudo modprobe ath_pci
then that should appear now

now enjoy your wireless connection :D

*Reminders*

make sure there is no ndiswrapper driver loaded cause it will cause conflict with madwifi.
check on Hardware Drivers and Disable support for Atheros wireless because you dont need it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
arm1e

Re: atheros wireless network SOLUTION

Post by arm1e »

I have this chip and in mint 5 I was able to get it working simply by deactivation HAL usig the GUI and installing the windows inf using ndiswrapper.

This i personnally found much easier than the mad wifi method which I used to ALWAYS have to use.

NOTE: This was a while ago but i am sure it is how i got it working.
RSimpson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RSimpson »

In Mint 6.0 RC1 on my emachines E520, this compiled and loaded a driver, but wireless still wouldn't come up even after rebooting and doing modprobe again. It seems to be working perfectly with this solution:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 68#p112868

...but I'd like to get this madwifi open source driver to work.

I haven't tried using the madwifi method with Mint 5 on this new machine because the graphics card didn't work with Mint 5.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Anyone know if this works with Intrepid/Felicia?
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

badmotor wrote:Anyone know if this works with Intrepid/Felicia?

it works im using felicia now and i just used my method as always
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
zerokpa

Re: atheros wireless network SOLUTION *UPDATED*

Post by zerokpa »

awesome! wireless now working on my AAO!
Ulyss

Post by Ulyss »

Same here, my Aspire One is now happy, so am I! Thank you!
feddds

Post by feddds »

Hi, I followed this:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=13980

But could not make it work :-(
I got this:
capacitacion@capacitacion-laptop ~ $ sudo ndiswrapper -l
WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist line 50: ignoring bad line starting with '“blacklist'
net5211 : driver installed
device (168C:001C) present (alternate driver: ath_pci)
capacitacion@capacitacion-laptop ~ $

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1026
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ndiswrapper
Kernel modules: ath_pci

It seems theres is a difference between 168C:001C and 1a3b:1026 from ndiswrapper

Before proceeding with this solucion how I disable ndiswrapper and go back all steps?
Thanks feddds.

Post by Guest »

zerokpa wrote:awesome! wireless now working on my AAO!
+1. Very clear instructions, worked first time. Thanks a million. 8)
HelloJayo

Post by HelloJayo »

you are a HERO!!!

this is the only solution of dozens i went thru that actually works in mint 6!!!

thanks a million

***STICKY THIS***
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

feddds wrote:Hi, I followed this:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=13980

But could not make it work :-(
I got this:
capacitacion@capacitacion-laptop ~ $ sudo ndiswrapper -l
WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist line 50: ignoring bad line starting with '“blacklist'
net5211 : driver installed
device (168C:001C) present (alternate driver: ath_pci)
capacitacion@capacitacion-laptop ~ $

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:1026
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ndiswrapper
Kernel modules: ath_pci

It seems theres is a difference between 168C:001C and 1a3b:1026 from ndiswrapper

Before proceeding with this solucion how I disable ndiswrapper and go back all steps?
Thanks feddds.

I think you just need to edit the last line in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklis
You most likely have 2 line as 1 line.
Milutin

Post by Milutin »

Dear whoever
I have installed the Mint6 for the first time, I have succeeded to establish the wireless connection with my provider an the indication in the toolbar is OK.

Now since I connect to internet with username and password I don't have a slightest idea how to do it?

Please please help
Aljado

Post by Aljado »

Guest wrote:
zerokpa wrote:awesome! wireless now working on my AAO!
+1. Very clear instructions, worked first time. Thanks a million. 8)
That was me posting before I signed up. I'm afraid my wireless doesn't work now, and repeating this tutorial doesn't bring it back. I've tried a few of the offshoot threads too, but no dice.

I (stupidly) unchecked the 'enable wireless' box in NM, and couldn't get on again. In my attempts to reinstate, I've uninstalled NM, put Wicd on, followed this tutorial through again, no joy. I even tried older versions of the madwifi package in case there was an issue with the 5th Feb edition.

I checked the Wicd community to see what they reckon (wired connections work 100%) and iwlist scan shows no scan results for wlan0.

The thread over there (link) suggests a driver problem, which brought me back here. I'm wondering if somehow I am not clearing off the older drivers and my subsequent attempts to fix, though at this stage I'm at something of a loss. As you can tell, I'm an ubernoob with Linux.

Any thoughts very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

AAO running LM6 Felicia
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

badmotor

Post by badmotor »

dringof1 wrote:Ok this is what worked for me:

Go to Menu > Administration > Hardware Drivers - Ensure all wifi drivers are deactivated.
Restart
Go to Menu > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers (You will need to type your root password in)
Click Install new driver.
Navigate to Filesystem: Usr > Lib > Linuxmint > mintwifi > drivers > (i386 if your running a 32bit machine / amd64 if your not) > Atheros_5007eg > net5211.inf
This should suddenly make your wifi spring in to life!

Let me know if it works for you.
Why hasn't someone posted this one before? So easy, and no outdated links to drivers on the net. Well done. Getting wireless working seems to be such a criptic thing when it doesn't have to be.
arm1e

Post by arm1e »

Post 2 on this topic!
I wrote about this method and said i used it on mint 5 and that it should work on mint 6!

Glad i wasted my time!
triwave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by triwave »

Hello,

I'm stumped on this and getting more and more frustrated and really need some help - I used to have wireless working! :?

I have been running Mint5 since it was released and have now installed Mint6 on a different partition (boot either from Grub) and have both installs pointing to the same /home partition. My computer is a server that is wired, but I had wireless setup so I could wheel it into another room and still use it temporarily disconnected. It used to work. I've used it in that configuration several times with only WiFi as the connection.

Hardware hasn't changed, lspci report Atheros AR5413 PCI card but wireless doesn't work on either install.

I have tried different drivers, ndiswrapper, etc and still can't get it to work. Several funny things happen so I'm looking to kind of start from scratch re-configuring it.

Currently I have the NET5211 driver installed as mentioned above , the signal strength meter now shows up if I select wireless but I can't associate with any AP. I have WPA enabled on my AP.

Second funny thing is every time it prompts me for the WPA passkey it has some long unknown key filled in. I can type mine as many times as I want, but it always brings up the prompt with another one. Wondering if that is somehow related ... perhaps the scripts behind the scene are always using some other stored (incorrect) passkey?

Anyway, I cannot get my wireless to work and it's a must have because I'm having some guests for the holidays and need to move the computer. Help!

Thanks
marcdilnutt

Post by marcdilnutt »

Just trying to get my wifi working, this is my first foray into the world of Linux and i really like it, and will stay once i get wireless working. I have tried every method on here so far, just trying to find a patch cable to plug my laptop into the router to download the build essentials. Just for reference I have installed Mint throught the windows utility on the live CD, the one where you install it as a program, and everything works perfectly apart from the wifi. The laptop is an Acer Aspire One 531 with the Atheros 5007 card.
pvossen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pvossen »

I to have had a difficult time with the Atheros Drivers. I have tried to get the
wireless card working for three days. I've wasted 16 hours on this laptop. I've lost
money dealing with it. However, I try to put Linux Mint or a Linux operating
system on as many laptops and computers as possible. This is a HP laptop G60 series
and I'm finding HP almost uses 75% Atheros cards on their laptops. We've got to get
HP, Dell and a couple big time manufacturers drivers on our operating systems
before we promote them as the future. We have Moblin, so what! If you can't get
the wireless card to work and a guy who has been programming for 25 years can't
get it working. Something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm reading everything from complicated scenarios to whatever. My client has no
old windows drivers I can try to make work with ndiswrapper. I have tried downloading
the linux equivalent still no luck.

A frustrated Linux Enthusiast.

tazd wrote:
dringof1 wrote:Ok this is what worked for me:

Go to Menu > Administration > Hardware Drivers - Ensure all wifi drivers are deactivated.
Restart
Go to Menu > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers (You will need to type your root password in)
Click Install new driver.
Navigate to Filesystem: Usr > Lib > Linuxmint > mintwifi > drivers > (i386 if your running a 32bit machine / amd64 if your not) > Atheros_5007eg > net5211.inf
This should suddenly make your wifi spring in to life!

Let me know if it works for you.
Well i have just installed mint 6 on an HPG70 laptop with the atheros 5007eg card and followed your instructions but for some reason i do not have a net5211.inf file in the atheros directory you mention.
Would it be possable for you to make the file you have available so i can get my card working.?
SpideyWebber

Post by SpideyWebber »

I have just had the chance to use the LM8 Main Edition Live CD, on
Sony VAIO VGN-NR32M/S. using Atheros A5007 series card i think.

I am writing this in FF3.5.3, from the CD, having connected to my home router no trouble at all.
I didnt have to boot into Vista first, to "prime" the wireless card, which is the case with LM7 installed on this laptop.

I am going to try the Live CD at work to determine if all my own issues with connections are now behind me.
One more step closer to leaving the need for Windows behind.
Thanks to all working on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, (and the Atheros drivers).
Been using Mint since version 5, current on 7, about to install 8, after backup to external drive.

Subsequent edit--
I managed to get this Sony Laptop connected to our OU Network immediately, using the Live CD, as expected.
Having completed some research within these and other forums, and deciding upon a partitioning schema, I am currently tri-booting
Vista, LM7 and LM8. Now that I can get a consistant connection with Linux Mint Helena Main Edition it will be my main OS in future.
I just have to configure email ect, and then wont need Win Vista for very much at all. :D

Spideywebber.

Return to “Networking”