Logitech back/forward buttons and Firefox *SOLVED*

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joebobwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Logitech back/forward buttons and Firefox *SOLVED*

Post by joebobwilson »

Hello,
Have installed Elyssa to test out and I am having one problem. I noticed that the default "mouse" driver setting of

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

allowed me to use the forward/back buttons when browsing with my logitech cordless optical trackman where that had never been true before. I could not use them in any other application so I modified the driver as I have done with every version since 3.0 to:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
EndSection

This allows me to use all buttons in most applications, but I can no longer use forward/back in firefox. Was a change made in Elyssa's firefox about:config or some other place that is being cancelled out by my driver modification? This is a minor annoyance and I am more curious than anything. Suggestions are appreciated.

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Logitech back/forward buttons and Firefox

Post by Husse »

Not in FF
I have a MS wireless lasermouse four buttons (+wheel) and it works with the standard xorg.conf at least in FF on my laptop
To be honest I don't even know what use you have outside a browser for more than two buttons :)
joebobwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Logitech back/forward buttons and Firefox

Post by joebobwilson »

I am the type who likes to figure things out and that is where I am coming from. It strikes me as odd that my modified driver operates as expected in Opera but not Firefox so I want to try and figure out why. After several hours trying this and that it makes sense to ask for outside help since it is most logical to me that the problem is a modification made in FF by the development team. I would like FF to allow me to browse as I want, but I am certainly not pulling my hair out. :)
joebobwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Logitech back/forward buttons and Firefox *SOLVED*

Post by joebobwilson »

After much mucking around and trial and error I solved my problem. I updated xorg.conf to look like this and it worked.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 10 11"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

I have tested it in FF, Opera, and Nautilus and so far so good. I was also able to solve this problem using btnx but this solution seemed more elegant.
This page proved very useful as it gave me most of my ideas. Maybe it will help others.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get ... ns_Working

*NOTE* According to this page the change is within FF 3 as it no longer maps buttons 6 and 7 to Forward/Back as FF 2 did. Hardy and Mint are not to blame.

Return to “Hardware Support”